GDT: Game 4: Hawks @ Wild- 7PM CT on WGN -- Spirit Dog Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Or this player. The ones at 48 seconds and 58 seconds are especially telling. Another one at 1:48.

His shot just doesn't have any zip anymore. Not sure why.

The wrister he shot on the PP was pathetically weak.

The one on the short handed breakaway wasn’t much better either.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah, most his goals were scored in the dirty areas. Rebounds, crashing the net, and being in tight. But he had the ability to pocket one bar down if he needed to. And now he doesn't look like he has that ability anymore, for whatever reason.

He was also a bulldog on the puck. There's a reason he was called mini-Hossa for a while.

That play where Suter poke-checked him in OT... in his first stint with the Hawks he bulldozes right around Suter with his speed and strength, and gets a good look. Last night he wasn't fast enough to go around Suter skating backwards...
agreed. something is off with the guy plain and simple. he has the ability to be a difference maker as so many players would kill to have his speed and size combo, but for whatever the reason like Chris Kreider just refuses to use it consistently.

Saad can do much more here, we can all agree on that, but I just hope some others can see the positives he did make last night and hope it continues as most are correct, without him producing goals, we cannot just rely on Toews, Kane and Cat to do the heavy lifting...he HAS to be better.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He listed Fortin, who played in his first NHL game last night, and actually played pretty damn well.

He also listed most of the 4th line, which has been fine. He also listed Seabrook, who has been far better than the past couple years. He also listed Hayden, who had a great game 1, and scored a goal, and then had a solid game last night.

:laugh:

So I'll answer for you... nah.
oh I know the answer as well lol.

also convenient how he left out Jokiharju and Kahun as both have been massive additions that apparently Bowman had nothing to do with here.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I also do not think Schmaltz has done Saad a lot of favors either, it seems Kane is his first and second look options and doesn't really get it over to Saad that much...understandably so because it is Kaner, but a guy like Saad can open up the ice for both of these guys...maybe Schmaltz doesn't have that confidence in Saad either, I dunno.
Yep. Another reason to consider reuniting the 8-AA-Kane line and try to patch together a 3rd line with what's left.

Reactions: Krivo25

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
agreed. something is off with the guy plain and simple. he has the ability to be a difference maker as so many players would kill to have his speed and size combo, but for whatever the reason like Chris Kreider just refuses to use it consistently.

Saad can do much more here, we can all agree on that, but I just hope some others can see the positives he did make last night and hope it continues as most are correct, without him producing goals, we cannot just rely on Toews, Kane and Cat to do the heavy lifting...he HAS to be better.

I don't disagree he was better last night. But he needs to be even better moving forward for this team to have a shot at doing anything in the next few years. There were definite positives, though.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The wrister he shot on the PP was pathetically weak.

The one on the short handed breakaway wasn’t much better either.

There was more good than bad. And was the PP one the one where he kinda flubbed it and it was a changeup that went over the shoulder?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep. Another reason to consider reuniting the 8-AA-Kane line and try to patch together a 3rd line with what's left.
I would be fine with that as well, and I think that is where we are heading soon...just cant do it yet until someone else steps up to take that #3C..I am all for giving Hayden a nice few games at #3C and see what he, Saad and Fortin could do...that could be an interesting line.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The bar is higher than simply trying hard for a top-six NHL player. So I really can't give him any credit for doing what he SHOULD be doing every night. Which is putting in the effort.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
yes every one of them and i listed the players that have played in the games that are not good players. the games that we have a 2-0-2 record. would you say fortin and hayden are going to be difference makers? are they going to make you a good team? could you see fortin and hayden scoring enough to be competent on a winning teams 3rd line this year? Is fortin-anisimov-hayden going to provide depth scoring needed to be a good team. No and its not because of our systems its because the skill level isnt there or isnt there yet.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The bar is higher than simply trying hard for a top-six NHL player. So I really can't give him any credit for doing what he SHOULD be doing every night. Which is putting in the effort.
agreed, we said the same thing with Toews last year and looks like he got that message from others as well.

I always try to be optimistic with these guys lol, but we are 2-0-2 without getting a goal from Saad or AA...we do not have Crow, Murphy, or Forsling...and our expected top young rookie in Sikura didn't even crack the lineup. I think we can look at the positives here and just continue to pray we get some structure and better system play.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
yes every one of them and i listed the players that have played in the games that are not good players. the games that we have a 2-0-2 record. would you say fortin and hayden are going to be difference makers? are they going to make you a good team? could you see fortin and hayden scoring enough to be competent on a winning teams 3rd line this year? Is fortin-anisimov-hayden going to provide depth scoring needed to be a good team. No and its not because of our systems its because the skill level isnt there or isnt there yet.

Fortin, AA, Hayden should actually be able to put up solid points numbers... and the line is very defensively responsible on top of it. What in the actual f*** are you talking about? This should be a nasty grinder line in the mold of how Bolland's lines always were, with the ability to make you pay on the offensive side of the puck if you made mistakes.

It's like you expect the entire lineup to be top 6 players. :laugh:

do you think the blackhawks have a good roster right now? do you think 2-0-2 is a good start?

2-0-2 is 6 out of a possible 8 points, and good for a first place tie in the central.

To answer your question, yes, I think this roster is solid. If coached well, it can be a playoff team. May not be a #1 seed, but it can definitely do some damage. Add in a couple injured defenders and a top 5 NHL goalie(if he can return to that) and this team can probably do much more than most expect.

There's talent scattered all throughout the lineup. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Last edited:

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
do you think the blackhawks have a good roster right now? do you think 2-0-2 is a good start?
With Ward in goal and missing 2 d-men I would say 2-0-2 IS a good start for this team. They could be 4-0 with some better luck in OT. The defense has to be better. The forwards have to get back and the dmen have to play better in front of the net.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Although I don't disagree with the above, I do think that one of the biggest assets that a good coach brings is the ability to take the roster at hand and bring out the best in what he has to work with. We saw a great example of this last season in VGN with Gallant as coach. I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
your allowed to ask snarky questions but im not...got it. but for real do you think this roster is good?
what snarky question did I ask? I asked if you watched the damn games because your comments clearly prove otherwise.

as for the roster, is it a good roster you ask? it always has come down to our core players being our best players. if Toews and Keith rebound and continue to do so, and if Crow comes back fully healthy with Skinny Seabs looking like he gives a shit again, yes I think this roster is good enough to challenge for a playoff spot. plenty of ifs there, but some of us have been saying this the entire off season. there is talent here, some things need to go right but you can tell this team is not just going to fold and die like they did last year. just knowing that Keith can be paired with someone else competent that can lower Seabs role and minutes is enough to make this team look so much better...players are being used much better than last year IMO, and that stems from some of the kids brought in by Bowman in Joker and Kahun...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Toews is noticeably quicker out there.

Last night was the first time where Saad and Schmaltz started to click last night as Schmaltz hit him with a few stretch passes. I think the 88 line is close to clicking.

Also on the play in OT where people are blaming Saad, Ryan Souter made a damn good play. It was similar to the play that Joker made on Tank.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
what snarky question did I ask? I asked if you watched the damn games because your comments clearly prove otherwise.

as for the roster, is it a good roster you ask? it always has come down to our core players being our best players. if Toews and Keith rebound and continue to do so, and if Crow comes back fully healthy with Skinny Seabs looking like he gives a **** again, yes I think this roster is good enough to challenge for a playoff spot. plenty of ifs there, but some of us have been saying this the entire off season. there is talent here, some things need to go right but you can tell this team is not just going to fold and die like they did last year. just knowing that Keith can be paired with someone else competent that can lower Seabs role and minutes is enough to make this team look so much better...players are being used much better than last year IMO, and that stems from some of the kids brought in by Bowman in Joker and Kahun...
You asked to act superior but still wont concede that the roster is bad. The teams winning with a bad roster. Thats why at times they look bad not because of your hate for Q.

"q wont let the d skate out of the zone" (not directed at anyone imperticular)....well now we see it more with joker and gus because they are able to...last year we didnt have the D that was able too. its all the way around. my only point is q get torched when they lose with a bad roster and no credit for winning with a bad roster.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You asked to act superior but still wont concede that the roster is bad. The teams winning with a bad roster. Thats why at times they look bad not because of your hate for Q.

"q wont let the d skate out of the zone"....well now we see it more with joker and gus because they are able to...last year we didnt have the D that was able too. its all the way around. my only point is q get torched when they lose with a bad roster and no credit for winning with a bad roster.
Gus was on the team last year. Pretty much the same roster outside of a handful of guys. Joker has been a big help same with Kahun. I actually have been pleased with the lineups that Q has put out there, stated that plenty of times. I am not pleased with his pathetic systems and how brutal we look out there. This team is winning in spite of our coaching staff, and that just isn't on Q. This is why I asked if you watched the actual games because if you did you would see it isn't about hating on Q, the entire staff has become completely inept out there and most everyone can see it.

Reactions: jls24

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
debrincat and toews this year is a think of beauty...i cant really get a read on kahun yet. sees the ice well tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad