GDT: Game 4 Flames (2-1-0) @ Blues (0-1-1) 6:00 pm MT (Sportsnet Flames/ Fan960)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Too soon BUT we are still missing some pieces to make this team a valid, regular PO contender. I haven't noticed Hanifin a lot in this game. He has to play with urgency game after game.

Hanifin was much more noticible with Hamonic as his partner. I think he is playing tentative because he doesn't trust the skating of guys like Stone and Andersson to recover if he (Hanifin) makes an unsuccessful pinch.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Hanifin was much more noticible with Hamonic as his partner. I think he is playing tentative because he doesn't trust the skating of guys like Stone and Andersson to recover if he (Hamonic) makes an unsuccessful pinch.
Thanks mate, this has been my first game of the season. Purely judging on this one game so maybe biased. Still unhappy about the direct swap. Also Neal looks like a bad signing,

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Thanks mate, this has been my first game of the season. Purely judging on this one game so maybe biased. Still unhappy about the direct swap.

I'm very happy with the swap. Hanifin has been much more reliable than Hamilton's ever been, and the Gio-Brodie pair has been pretty much perfect together on a nightly basis.

Also Neal looks like a bad signing,

As I've mentioned before, he's certainly a downgrade on Ferland. But I think he has more to show skillwise and he did score a goal today. This isn't the best signing in the world but it's not a Brouwer level of idiocy. At worst it becomes kind of like the Stone signing where you could probably be better off with it, but it's not hurting you.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
bring back Joe Colborne? He used to be pretty good at carrying the puck in with his puck protection.

And then after that he can run back to the bench and play about as many minutes as Peluso did.
Still unsigned, surprisingly. Might not have been too happy with his play here but I guess his Colorado stint derailed his career

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not sure what there would be to be concerned about from the goaltending in this game (again). The first period was an absolute defensive trainwreck for the Flames. Smith held them out as long as could be expected.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure what there would be to be concerned about from the goaltending in this game (again). The first period was an absolute defensive trainwreck for the Flames. Smith held them out as long as could be expected.
I don't get it either. I mean Smith would have liked the Steen goal back and the one where he misplayed it behind the net, but even that was a PP goal. Frankly if the Flames were more disciplined they are only down 3-1 heading into the 3rd, rather than 5-1.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Brodie and Backlund have been a monster when it comes to relative corsi. Being paired up with Giordano has been godsend. That being said, Brodie has the best CA60 relative on the team, which clearly shows it isn't all Giordano. Brode has not been on the ice for a single 5on5 goal either. I hope he continues this up long term.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Losing sucks, but I'm nowhere near as pessimistic as I was after a loss in the GG era. Now when I tell myself that some of the issues are just early season rust, I don't feel like I'm blatantly lying to myself like in the last couple of years. There's a lot to like and there is actual depth in the lineup. I am a bit worried about goaltending though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't get it either. I mean Smith would have liked the Steen goal back and the one where he misplayed it behind the net, but even that was a PP goal. Frankly if the Flames were more disciplined they are only down 3-1 heading into the 3rd, rather than 5-1.
I believe that the Steen goal was deflected by Hanifin's stick based on Smith's reaction.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lost specialty teams. Lost the game.
Two bad goals, breaks the back of the team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought it was more a reaction to Noah not committing to break up the pass even though his stick was on the puck
Well, I think on the replay you can clearly see him reach for the top corner with his glove, then try to bring it down to the puck. That signifies a deflection IMO. Or else he's just having vision issues.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Frolik scratched tomorrow, took 2 bad penalties and the Blues scored on both.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but it seems likes he's trying to do too much to get noticed in an attempt to get more ice-time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well losing 5-3 really sucks ass. The bad news is that after I stopped watching near the end of the 2nd period the Blues scored their 5th goal. The good news is the Flames attempted a comeback in the 3rd and scored 2 goals to shorten the Blues lead.

Not really all that surprised they lost though. Right from the drop of the puck it looked like the Flames weren't ready to play last night. Two minutes into the game I was already yelling at the tv screen telling the Flames to get their shit together.

The good news is, last night the Flames got some secondary scoring from Neal and Ryan. The bad news is the only one of our big 3 to show up on the scoreboard was Lindholm with a single assist. Tough to win most nights when your best players aren't your best players.

The Valimaki-Andersson pairing had a rough night last night and ended up -2 but they're rookies so at least they have an excuse. No such excuse for the Gaudreau-Monahan pair who also ended up -2.

Oh well, the game is over now and time to get ready for the next one in Denver. I hope the Flames are better prepared to play this game than the last one. Maybe this game Hathaway and Jankowski will get back into the lineup. Peluso is useless out there and right now Frolik is MIA most of the time, except when bad things happen.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Blues were far far hungrier than us last night.

The funny thing is the fact that this board was even like:
These guys are going to be hungry and all in to get their win. Then we proceed to lay an egg on the PP, take bad penalties and make two bad plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad