GDT: Game 4 | Columbus at Florida | 10/11 7PM

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Oh boy, free speech warrior here. :laugh:

Someone telling you that they disagree with your view and explaining why is not censorship.
You’re proving my point.

“Disagree with my opinion and you will be belittled and told you’re wrong!”

Yep, that’s a great formula for a message board bud.

Some things always stay the same with this board. Just as I pointed out in my original post.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I will. Hit that ignore button if you can’t handle it.

Watch out, badass over here. Hope you won't take my lunch money.

Here's what I don't get. You're advocating free speech on an internet forum yet won't even talk about your viewpoint, only stating it, and walking away. Yet, you keep saying it's a message board. I don't know why/how it can be belittling if someone provides facts that prove your viewpoint wrong. There are also facts that prove your viewpoint right, that can could provide for yourself (instead, you piggyback off of CBJSTH post). I don't get it. Are you advocating for discussion, or is it your way or the highway?

You also came into this thread with a lit match trying to ignite shit (and succeeded). So, yeah. Keep it up.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Guys, reeeeeelax.

We won.

We’ve played 4 games and have only lost once.

Less division, more optimism.
While we don’t have the population of a leafs/hawks/Pens fan base, we are still die hard CBJ fans at the end of the day.
And that’s all that matters.
We all root for the same team.
We all are die hard CBJ fans.
Period.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I am pro CBJ not pro Wennberg. Ideally, Wennberg would be someone you root for, since he's not on another team as of yet. Hope that doesn't offend you, it is 2018 after all!

REALLY being "pro CBJ" is why people have no issue criticizing Wennberg for his negative or at the very least LACK of impact on the ice.

Remember this guys makes 5 million a year, not 2-3. And he is COUNTED UPON to "produce".

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
REALLY being "pro CBJ" is why people have no issue criticizing Wennberg for his negative or at the very least LACK of impact on the ice.

Remember this guys makes 5 million a year, not 2-3. And he is COUNTED UPON to "produce".

I would have less of a problem with it if the guy ever got praised. If he gets negative treatment and deserves it then fine, fair enough. If he has a good game or whatever, SOME people will point it out. However the outwardly vocal crowd who is negative against him (such as yourself) say nothing, or belittle what he did or in CPTN;s case, say "you had your day yesterday, today its our turn" as if its some sort of trade that people who like the guy can only be happy when he does well, and people who hate him can only be happy when he does bad. You cannot deny that this is true, I would hope. I have never seen you (you're not alone) say one good thing about Wennberg. Has it happened? Maybe, but I can't recall it. All the way back to the Swedish Filatov days.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I would have less of a problem with it if the guy ever got praised. If he gets negative treatment and deserves it then fine, fair enough. If he has a good game or whatever, SOME people will point it out. However the outwardly vocal crowd who is negative against him (such as yourself) say nothing, or belittle what he did or in CPTN;s case, say "you had your day yesterday, today its our turn" as if its some sort of trade that people who like the guy can only be happy when he does well, and people who hate him can only be happy when he does bad. You cannot deny that this is true, I would hope. I have never seen you (you're not alone) say one good thing about Wennberg. Has it happened? Maybe, but I can't recall it. All the way back to the Swedish Filatov days.

He's a good passer. Happy?

I've got too much more to say..

Here. 'Wennberg hype' was SKY HIGH after 16/17. To say anything different is FALSE. I never bought it, and was called a fool many times. He, and you, have nobody to blame other than Wenny himself, for why people feel the way they do about him.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I missed the game because of a social, but I’m glad to see we won. There’s no real point to this post but I wanted people to know I read the arguments and had a few chuckles. Cheers.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
He's a good passer. Happy?

I've got too much more to say..

Here. 'Wennberg hype' was SKY HIGH after 16/17. To say anything different is FALSE. I never bought it, and was called a fool many times. He, and you, have nobody to blame other than Wenny himself, for why people feel the way they do about him.

Fair enough. However, there were more people concerned about his lack of 5on5 success than you are giving credit. Including yours truly after he signed his contract...

Decent deal. I like the aav for the 6 years but I think going bridge would have been better. Regardless it's good to have him in the fold for camp. Andy is next

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/jackets-sign-wennberg-to-a-6-year-deal-4-9mil-aav.2384065/

People can feel how they want to about him. However, he will never get a fair shake again. He's got his share of issues, but he isn't at all how bad people on here portray him as. Nobody has their game dissected (other than the goalies) as much as he does on here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Fair enough. However, there were more people concerned about his lack of 5on5 success than you are giving credit. Including yours truly after he signed his contract...

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/jackets-sign-wennberg-to-a-6-year-deal-4-9mil-aav.2384065/

People can feel how they want to about him. However, he will never get a fair shake again. He's got his share of issues, but he isn't at all how bad people on here portray him as. Nobody has their game dissected (other than the goalies) as much as he does on here.

There are an awful lot of one-issue voters on here of late.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He negates an entire line. That is a big impact. He takes up over 15 minutes of ice time. That is a big impact.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There's always a whipping boy. He's the one. A useful rule of thumb is that any poster who uses dismissive nicknames for a player can be safely ignored w/r/t anything they have to say on same.

As for actual criticism... didn't see how he played tonight, but his stat line doesn't look good. I'd have thought he'd have earned a reprieve after the last game regardless, but I guess not. :dunno:

Lets not act like its always been like this. He's had PLENTY of time. Remember, before Dubois, and after, he was "gifted" the 1c spot just a year ago. AFTER he was "gifted" the contract he received.

You want me to name all the different DEGRADING nicknames I've heard/seen MANY PEOPLE throw Murray's way for being "injury prone"?

Wenny is soft as I'm sure you (and others) imagine his hair being....

:slaugh:

The first post I quote here suggests that there has always been a player that certain posters (not always the same posters) will single out for criticism. Because that approach displays often severe myopia, it's hard to take any criticism of that player from certain posters seriously, even when it's warranted.

The second post I quote suggests that whipping boys are OK as long as "I" agree with that status.

One of these positions is utter BS. (Hint: It's the second one.)

In general, that this forum apparently needs a thread where lines in the sand can be drawn about a certain player because that discussion has dominated a GDT is pretty poor.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
What is with this boards fascination in whipping Wennberg.

Given his salary and the role that the club expects him to fill, he should be scoring at a rate at least 75% higher that he has for over the last 70 games, just 37 points. Those are the stats of a 3rd line center. He was expected last year to be the 1st line center, then when Dubois developed, at LEAST the 2nd line center. He needs to be a lot better. His numbers over the last year are the numbers we should expect for Riley Nash.

I LOVED Wennberg, his skill set should mesh perfectly with Panarin. But they aren't bread and butter together, they are bread and......something that doesn't go with bread. I want him to succeed, I think everyone here, even the most vocal haters WANT him to be a legit 2nd line center. He hasn't been that.

It's been 70 games, and given the roster turbulence surrounding Bob and Bread, that's too quick to give up on the hopes that he can be a 2nd line stud. But another 30-40 games.....then I would think the front office has to start thinking of options.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
They'll have to play much better if they expect to get at least a point out of Tampa. If nothing else they should have learned not to let up at the very end of a period.

Reactions: Fairwhether

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Nobody is in here saying "without Korpisalo the CBJ don't win this game".

Would not be the case if Bob played....just saying.

Here's a question, does Bob FOR SURE start net game?

For those of you that are sure he does, were you sure, that he was gonna start tonight?

40+ shots, he prolly will start.
I wasn’t surprised Korpi started tonight. I will be surprised if he starts the TB game. I am Korpi will get more starts this year, all I am saying is that his save % is not impressive and it will need to be better going forward.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In my time here, as I recall the following have been whipping boys:

Umberger
Nash
Joey
Wennberg
Murray
Playoff Bob

Some times the shoe fit(s), some times it didn't (doesn't).

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
A completely new trend we are starting, poor second periods. Oh wait..... Living on the edge while getting points, that's Blue Jackets hockey. It's going to be a shame if we lose Panarin.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In my time here, as I recall the following have been whipping boys:

Umberger
Nash
Joey
Wennberg
Murray
Playoff Bob

Some times the shoe fit(s), some times it didn't (doesn't).

This is all about semantics. There's MANY more players that should be added. Many players over time have been "treated" more UNFAIRLY than Wennberg, and some of these guys. By both the fans and the organization/coaches.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We have to be able to understand the distinction between criticism and "whipping boy". Playoff Bob never came close to "whipping boy" status. RJ rightly deserved most of the criticism he deserved. I find describing Johansen and Nash as whipping boys kind of comical. Virtually all of the hate thrown at Nash was after he decided he wanted to leave and, to be honest, it was fairly mild. I'm not sure I've seen enough to even put Murray in the category of being a whipping boy. We've had some around here, those example don't compelling.

As fas an Wennberg, there are the typical extremists posters, but I tend to the those that lie in the middle have been pretty fair in their critiques.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad