Post-Game Talk: Game 4: Caps vs. Flyers (mod note post #5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I liked seeing Bura going after Schenn for his dirty cross check of Kuz's knee. He genuinely seemed pissed. I was hoping reinforcements would come in by whatever.

But who the hell does that? Talk about a deliberate intent to injure.

I honestly can't remember ever seeing a crosscheck from behind to a knee before.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It is in a big way. You give up two goals on the road in the playoffs and you should be able to win the ****ing game. Period.

Too much is left up to raw skill making a difference rather than actually polishing it up and displaying strong offensive fundamentals. Sure, they do have some game-breakers but the coherence and cohesion is often lacking. I don't think they have built much of anything 5-on-5 in this series thus far and that's pretty disappointing. They have been tight defensively for the most part, gotten some bounces and savaged them on special teams but their possession game remains loose and sloppy. If they're going to go on a run that dynamic has to change.

They looked good in the 3rd period. Obviously that's not going to cut it in the Playoffs, but the scoring chances there were 8-0 to Caps at one point. Burakovsky and Kuznetsov seemed to create alot in the 3rd, although couldn't finish. That's somewhat encouraging considering that they haven't really had much going before that in these series.

I liked seeing Bura going after Schenn for his dirty cross check of Kuz's knee. He genuinely seemed pissed. I was hoping reinforcements would come in by whatever.

But who the hell does that? Talk about a deliberate intent to injure.

The definition of garbage play.

Everyone knows the league won't do anything about it (suspension) but it's ridiculous that the refs won't either. Schenn is another fake tough guy like Gudas. They act tough when they recognize whose on the ice for the other team. When someone like Wilson step on the ice they are puppies, because he's beat them both out before and they likely don't want that again. Gudas is the definition of this, and it's not only Capitals that's he's doing it to. He avoids the tough guys but when skilled players step on the ice he's dirty as hell. Capitals 2nd line is the perfect target for him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if the "ref supervisor" emailed Bobby Mac for a quick consult, instead of actually doing something about it.

The stuff we are seeing is almost unprecedented. It's not like Kuz slashed their goalie. Stalhberg did nothing to Letang, nor did his body language imply that he was going to. Yeah that warrants a slash in the mouth. #chicklets

This stuff used to be a match penalty. And I don't buy that the refs don't see it. Linesman can call high sticks IIRC, and regardless the league can replay anything and everything after the fact and address it.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Kuznetsov plays 16 because he gets no pk time and he gets pp2 time which is pretty limited. As a result he leads all Caps forwards in even strength ice time. He is not getting held back at all.

Meanwhile Niskanen is playing 25:03 per game in the playoffs. He played 24:39 per game in the regular season. He has played this much all season. this is nothing new. Niskanen played 23:47 per game in the playoffs last season.

All the other stars in the league are getting 20 plus minutes...he needs to get on track scoring and the way to do that is get him as much ice time as possible. If he doesn't start scoring no way this team gets out of the 2nd round (if they make it there)...imo.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
JDub has missed some prime scoring chances, which sucks, but he has been all hustle and work in this series. That's the leadership we need from him.

Yesterday was their first taste of real adversity: Orpik out. And they did not rise to the occasion until it was too late. Now they have lost a game and we will see if that kind leadership can make a difference.

Involuntary eye roll, check. "Rise to the occasion.. real adversity", come on. It's not like their performance fell off a cliff with Orpik out. They pretty much did their thing, but didn't get the bounces and the special teams advantage.

I just find the whole narrative that "things were fine in Games 1-3, but in Game 4 they dropped the ball" -- almost comical. Not proof of anything, but still, they were outshot in Games 2 & 3, not in Game 4. Games 1-3 they got something like .980 save % from Holtby, come on, unsustainable, it was bound to come down and it did to .920 in Game 4. PP went basically from 50% to 0%. PK went from 100% to 50%.

The narrative that makes more sense is that the Caps were lucky to be up 3-0, and these teams are a lot closer than that score indicates, at least 5-on-5.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Involuntary eye roll, check. "Rise to the occasion.. real adversity", come on. It's not like their performance fell off a cliff with Orpik out. They pretty much did their thing, but didn't get the bounces and the special teams advantage.

I just find the whole narrative that "things were fine in Games 1-3, but in Game 4 they dropped the ball" -- almost comical. Not proof of anything, but still, they were outshot in Games 2 & 3, not in Game 4. Games 1-3 they got something like .980 save % from Holtby, come on, unsustainable, it was bound to come down and it did to .920 in Game 4. PP went basically from 50% to 0%. PK went from 100% to 50%.

The narrative that makes more sense is that the Caps were lucky to be up 3-0, and these teams are a lot closer than that score indicates, at least 5-on-5.

Uh, ok. Losing your 2D totally not adversity. Got it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This is true but their Game 4 effort through 40 minutes was nonetheless dog ****. There isn't much separating them 5-on-5 but especially not when they're playing soft perimeter hockey.

I don't think I'd call it serious adversity but it was their first loss in the playoffs nonetheless. You'd rather it happen in Game 4 than any other time I guess. It wasn't that they lost but how half-assed it was, even for them. They thought they could put in 20 minutes and at least tie it but any team can sit back and make it hard to score. Philadelphia did that so the main take away should be to start the damn game on time. Sitting back against any team shouldn't be how they approach games and, true enough, they were very fortunate to be up 3-0 given their lackluster starts. It's dumbfounding why they start on their heels.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
After seeing the Simmonds cross check to Ovi's knee, its obvious the flies are being coached up to do that to anyone that pokes at their G

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Kuz has had knee and leg injuries in the past. I'm sure Schenn knew exactly what he was doing giving him a crosscheck to the legs.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Uh, ok. Losing your 2D totally not adversity. Got it.

Fine, you can call it adversity, but my point is that the result of that game had nothing to do with the Caps able or not able to handle it.

Arguably, previous game was even tougher because they were shorthanded when Orpik went down, and they "handled" that just fine.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Fine, you can call it adversity, but my point is that the result of that game had nothing to do with the Caps able or not able to handle it.

Arguably, previous game was even tougher because they were shorthanded when Orpik went down, and they "handled" that just fine.

I am not sure I agree. I also think the fallout from game 3 was a factor. No way to know how the Flyers were going to act on the ice. Either way, all of it qualifies as adversity and they need to be able to overcome that, cliche or not. If they win Friday, I'll feel pretty good about their mental readiness.

And like you, I hope to see the team that played last night's third period show up from the start.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
This is true but their Game 4 effort through 40 minutes was nonetheless dog ****. There isn't much separating them 5-on-5 but especially not when they're playing soft perimeter hockey.

I don't think I'd call it serious adversity but it was their first loss in the playoffs nonetheless. You'd rather it happen in Game 4 than any other time I guess. It wasn't that they lost but how half-assed it was, even for them. They thought they could put in 20 minutes and at least tie it but any team can sit back and make it hard to score. Philadelphia did that so the main take away should be to start the damn game on time. Sitting back against any team shouldn't be how they approach games and, true enough, they were very fortunate to be up 3-0 given their lackluster starts. It's dumbfounding why they start on their heels.

I am not defending "slow starts", I am just pointing out that it seems really superficial to say (or imply) that things were great in Games 1-3 and then suddenly the Caps dropped the ball in Game 4. IMO they played pretty much the same way in all these games (and with the same flaws), the difference was special teams and bounces.

In the end, when slow starts become a pattern, it's hard to expect it to change. Whether the issues are structural or psychological, it seems so entrenched that it's more of a "that's who they are" situation, rather than "they can't be bothered to fix it".

I mean, these things are relative, too -- instead of saying "Caps are slow starters", one could say "Caps are great finishers" :) And they are, more or less, based on 3rd period stats.

Anyway, whatever... at this point I am just not expecting the Caps to come out and be able to jump on another team. Part of it is Trotz's more conservative style, too, IMO.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I am not defending "slow starts", I am just pointing out that it seems really superficial to say (or imply) that things were great in Games 1-3 and then suddenly the Caps dropped the ball in Game 4. IMO they played pretty much the same way in all these games (and with the same flaws), the difference was special teams and bounces.

In the end, when slow starts become a pattern, it's hard to expect it to change. Whether the issues are structural or psychological, it seems so entrenched that it's more of a "that's who they are" situation, rather than "they can't be bothered to fix it".

I mean, these things are relative, too -- instead of saying "Caps are slow starters", one could say "Caps are great finishers" :) And they are, more or less, based on 3rd period stats.

Anyway, whatever... at this point I am just not expecting the Caps to come out and be able to jump on another team. Part of it is Trotz's more conservative style, too, IMO.

Not to take anything away from Holtby, but most of those shots were non-factors. The Caps had more scoring chances in every except game 2 so far, more 5 on 5 scoring chances in 2 of the games, and have only been outchanced at ES in 1 game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We don't really need a series discussion thread if we're going to talk about the series every post-game. So we'll probably shut these down sooner in the future.

Moving a lot of the series convo here to that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad