GDT: GAME #4: Canucks @ Flames again, this time with more Miller | 6:00 p.m. PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Will be interesting to see if "home games" make any difference.

That being said the Habs are playing very well right now. Odds are they will be picking their teeth with our bones after three games.

It's not pessimistic to think we will be 1-6 by Sunday.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Then think of it as a necessary prelude to Benning getting the old heave-ho.

Maybe you're right and a coaching change doesn't fix things. But sometimes it does - CGY with Sutter, LAK with Sutter, PIT with Bylsma all come to mind.
And have you controlled for any other factors that may have lead to "changes"?

Lets be reality here you listed 3 changes out of the multitude over the year you feel represent cases that coaching changes will change team fortunes.

Maybe they did. Its entirely possible you could have such bad coaching that putting a potato behind the bench would be an improvement. But at high levels after many levels of "filtering" I would suggest that coaching at the NHL has reached a realtively "equalibrium". ie coaches dont vary much in their impact as they ould at say lower levels.

Thr old maxim is you hire a coach to fire a coach.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea what the Canucks are going to do with some of their veteran players.....I suppose there's a chance that guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, etc. may come on as the season wears on. But as of right now, they're not even replacement level NHL players. And that's not to mention that the Canucks still have almost $10 million in salary cap room tied up in two guys who apparently aren't even good enough to be in the lineup.

Until the salary cap deadwood is cleared out, this team really can't expect to be competitive. And that won't happen until this season is flushed.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Miller - Horvat - Boeser
Pearson - Pettersson - Hoglander
Eriksson - Gaudette - Virtanen
Rousell - Sutter - Motte

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Hamonic
Benn - Myers

Holtby

Change it up a bit.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
pp 0-17,,,,
another 5 goals against...
Guys that really sucked that stood out..
Sutter,Sutter,Sutter,,,why is this guy even on the team...can't win a face off,can't skate,,plays on the 4th line,,can't score,.Oh yeah,,Jim Bennings foundation player,,right...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I have no idea what the Canucks are going to do with some of their veteran players.....I suppose there's a chance that guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, etc. may come on as the season wears on. But as of right now, they're not even replacement level NHL players. And that's not to mention that the Canucks still have almost $10 million in salary cap room tied up in two guys who apparently aren't even good enough to be in the lineup.

Until the salary cap deadwood is cleared out, this team really can't expect to be competitive. And that won't happen until this season is flushed.

But that cap space will go to signing Hughes, Demko, and EP.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
EsEYOcbVoAIj1O-

Reactions: Starships

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
i don't mind any of the new guys in isolation.

the people not getting it done are the players who were already here and especially the top lines and the defenece.

i wonder if they believed their own hype.
Defense is awful.

A year old Edler. Lazy ass Meyers. Hamonic. Rookie Juolevi.

Really only Nate Schmidt and Hughes and i suspect like every other shiny new arrival Schmidt gets vastly over rated by Canuck fans. Note: I do like Schmidt.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
And have you controlled for any other factors that may have lead to "changes"?

Lets be reality here you listed 3 changes out of the multitude over the year you feel represent cases that coaching changes will change team fortunes.

Maybe they did. Its entirely possible you could have such bad coaching that putting a potato behind the bench would be an improvement. But at high levels after many levels of "filtering" I would suggest that coaching at the NHL has reached a realtively "equalibrium". ie coaches dont vary much in their impact as they ould at say lower levels.

Thr old maxim is you hire a coach to fire a coach.

You can't control for factors because every team and situation is different. It's not a science experiment.

But coaches reaching a best before date is a real thing. Systems get stale, they can lose the room, for whatever reason.

But a coaching change can definitely impact how a team plays. It's his defensive and offensive systems that the players implement and Green's systems issues are chronic and there's no indication he's willing to make any changes. To wit, his team's defensive coverage is passive and surrenders way too many high quality chances.

Put a new guy in and maybe we find a new way to lose, sure. But repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Defense is awful.

A year old Edler. Lazy ass Meyers. Hamonic. Rookie Juolevi.

Really only Nate Schmidt and Hughes and i suspect like every other shiny new arrival Schmidt gets vastly over rated by Canuck fans. Note: I do like Schmidt.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I am wrong but I think Tanev is a better fit for the team than Schmidt.

Reactions: PM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yikes.

First period was excellent. Team came out ready, skated well, would have been up by a couple goals if not for Markstrom.

Then a total collapse. 7 shots in the next 38 minutes. Completely, utterly dismantled. Not a single positive in the last two periods. Team is in major trouble right now.

Gaudette and Virtanen had a strong first period. Schmidt didn't really do much wrong. Demko wasn't to blame. Other than that ... ugh.

- Miller predictably looked a step behind in his first game. Whole line was not good. Pettersson officially in a slump.

- Hoglander looked excellent in his first game as a game-ready player against guys playing essentially the first exhibition game. He's trying, but as intensity ramps up he's getting pushed more and more to the outside of things. Hasn't been effective in the last 3 games.

- Beagle line is just crap, horribly overplayed, and were absolutely destroyed against Gaudreau tonight. Getting shredded on the PK as well.

- crap like Juolevi and Roussel need to be scratched. We need to get rid of liabilities and give opportunities to players who might actually contribute.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Given the direction of the team going forward it was genuinely the right decision to let Markstrom and Tanev go at their asking price. If your team utterly collapses into being basement-level after letting those two go then you have much bigger problems

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Given the direction of the team going forward it was genuinely the right decision to let Markstrom and Tanev go at their asking price. If your team utterly collapses into being basement-level after letting those two go then you have much bigger problems
We never weren't a basement team tbh. People got way too caught up in covid cup with 8innington and a corona infected blues team, and the box score of an unbelievably outmatched vegas series.

I still think that if corona didn't cancel the season we draft top 10 last season.

Agree with you that it was the right decision to let them walk and it'd be funny if finally making the right decision for the long term future of the team is what gets the gm fired.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Seasons early so I'm not gonna panick. But man they gotta get their shit together.
Its tough to watch this BUT is super early and not sure were getting a PROPER read on our team and every team this early with no training. Every team had the same LACK of preparation but effects teams and players defintely and DIFFRENTLY. Panic NOT yet Baby P

Reactions: Baby Pettersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->