GDT: GAME #4: Canucks @ Flames again, this time with more Miller | 6:00 p.m. PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Better get back to the drawing board on this disaster of a power play. I’d also like to see these guys pull off some non disrupted passes, nothing is ever clean.

Yeah. It needs a complete reconfiguration. It just doesn't work this way. Occasionally, they do a cute little "swapsies" between a couple players on role and where they stand, but it's horribly stagnant and set.

The Power Play is all passing too cute and not pulling the trigger. This can’t happened, it’s too tiring.

It really is like they're trying to pull off some set plays vs air, the way Newell drew it up, and get frustrated and start trying to force the same thing even harder when it predictably doesn't work.

Getting somebody at the point with a big shot and a willingness to just let it rip and spend a few on someone's shinpads if necessary, might just be the cure for what ails it. But as it stands, it's way too easy for teams to just cheat to Hughes and Petey and more or less isolate them from dangerous passing lanes. Turns it from a PP, to a 2-on-2 standoff.

Reactions: Indiana

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
0/17 to start the year on the powerplay.

Myers, Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi = $25 million. I'm pretty sure these guys could all be replaced with AHL players with the same effect. No joke.
I agree, but going 0-17 doesn’t have anything to do with any of those players

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
My point is changing the coach will not change the end result which is a better team.

I did the reasearch back when people people were calling for AVs head.

Everything I have been able o find on he subject pretty much says the same thing. Coaching changes dont really change team fortunes.

By all means hang Green at high noon at the corner of Granville and Robson for all I care.

It wont change the Canucks into a winner. It wont turn Meyers into a non lazy player. It wont magically release Mottes hidden skills

It will give fans the head that they want. It will meet fans emotional needs. But it wont change the end result.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Then think of it as a necessary prelude to Benning getting the old heave-ho.

Maybe you're right and a coaching change doesn't fix things. But sometimes it does - CGY with Sutter, LAK with Sutter, PIT with Bylsma all come to mind.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Juolevi 7:55. Sure there were quite a few penalties but you simply cannot have him in the lineup if Green doesn’t trust him at all. Pits far too many minutes on Edler, Myers, Hamonic etc

OJ had his audition, he didnt get the part. Benn will be back tomorrow.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I expect to get smashed by MTL. They're rolling and we just got eviscerated by Alberta.

Every loss win and loss in this condensed season means much more... starting with a record like this and more to come most likely in MTL, makes me scared for our draft picks

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I agree, but going 0-17 doesn’t have anything to do with any of those players

Yeah I just meant these two factors have contributed to our abysmal start. A bad powerplay and a lack of quality depth due to poor cap management.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ok.. Glad THATS over...

Things wrong with this team....

#1 Best players playing horribly in ozone. There hasn't been any sustained zone time by our top 6 in God knows how many periods.

#2 The level of creativity and urgency shown by our first PP unit is utterly painful to watch. This is not anything like last season's top 5 PP.

#3 PK. Naturally was going to take a step back without Tanev out there on the first unit or Eriksson.... But come on.

Those are the most troubling to me right now.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I've watched both and they don't look like lottery talent franchise players. This is the worse year to tank because half these kids aren't playing.
Canucks wouldn't win lottery anyways. As long as they can pick up a core player at 6 or 7 or wherever the lottery drops us is still a good spot.

Some good players available in the top 10 that can become secondary core pieces behind Quinn and Elias.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I like Johnson a lot

Haven't seen Power as much

He's had two 4 point games that have inflated his stats, but I haven't been overly impressed with him. A lot of flash without much substance looks like a guy you draft 8-15, not 1-5. Powers looks like the typical toolsy prospect that's big and can skate.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Juolevi 7:55. Sure there were quite a few penalties but you simply cannot have him in the lineup if Green doesn’t trust him at all. Pits far too many minutes on Edler, Myers, Hamonic etc

i don't mind any of the new guys in isolation.

the people not getting it done are the players who were already here and especially the top lines and the defenece.

i wonder if they believed their own hype.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Other teams have figured out our power-play, were using the Petey as either a shot into a blocker or I slap pass every time

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
tough because we're still basically in preseason but these games mean a lot more than in an 82 game season after wednesday we'll be at 1/10th of the season done

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Canucks wouldn't win lottery anyways. As long as they can pick up a core player at 6 or 7 or wherever the lottery drops us is still a good spot.

Some good players available in the top 10 that can become secondary core pieces behind Quinn and Elias.

wouldnt that mean Elias needs to be a primary scoring piece?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
tough because we're still basically in preseason but these games mean a lot more than in an 82 game season after wednesday we'll be at 1/10th of the season done

The most ridiculous excuses. Arent the Flames also in preseason by this rationale?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Canucks fan : You don't say....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-204639.png
    Screenshot_20210118-204639.png
    870.4 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad