Pre-Game Talk: GAME #4 - Canucks @ Ducks: Predux - Jan 25 - 7:00PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Would be nice to get a measure of retribution against Anaheim for Game 1, though. And for God's sake - someone keep an eye on Selanne (and Winnik, I suppose)

Not worth it. No matter how well we do at defending Selanne, it always seems like he is bound to have at least 2 points against us. Might as well focus on the Getzlaf-Perry-Palmieri line first and foremost.

In house last night the defense made some noticeable mistakes that I think a team forward-heavy like the Ducks would have killed us with personally. I think 4-2 Ducks, I'm not to optimistic here to start the season at all but we are historically a poor opening team, not having Luongo as our starter won't fix that and it looks like I was right about goaltending being largely a team game rather than a one-man effort.

I still think Weise should be off that Schroeder line. He's more suited right now for a 4th line role until he improves his puck skills a bit more, I thought Raymond and Schroeder were in a different class in that regard last night.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not worth it. No matter how well we do at defending Selanne, it always seems like he is bound to have at least 2 points against us. Might as well focus on the Getzlaf-Perry-Palmieri line first and foremost.

In house last night the defense made some noticeable mistakes that I think a team forward-heavy like the Ducks would have killed us with personally. I think 4-2 Ducks, I'm not to optimistic here to start the season at all but we are historically a poor opening team, not having Luongo as our starter won't fix that and it looks like I was right about goaltending being largely a team game rather than a one-man effort.

I still think Weise should be off that Schroeder line. He's more suited right now for a 4th line role until he improves his puck skills a bit more, I thought Raymond and Schroeder were in a different class in that regard last night.

I think Weise will be bumped off that unit sooner rather than later. He had a couple of plum chances in the slot that he misfired on; he's skating incredibly well and creating space, but his lack of hands still shows in those situations.

But all in all, I thought that line was actually quite good. Raymond was the best player on it, and Schroeder had a solid debut. Would be nice to see him notch his first career point tomorrow night.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I absolutely agree.
Kesler + Kassian + Schneider for Nazem Kadri?

No way the leafs do that.

Kesler is injury prone and had one magical season because he was able to feed off of the greatness that is jeff tambellini. Kassian is a headcase and will only play well for a few more games. Schneider cracked under the pressure of vancouver in game 1 of the REGULAR SEASON. What did Nazem Kadri do? Only scored a goal in his first game. Helping propel the leafs to a record above 500 and they are undefeated on the road. The Canucks are below 500.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I think Weise will be bumped off that unit sooner rather than later. He had a couple of plum chances in the slot that he misfired on; he's skating incredibly well and creating space, but his lack of hands still shows in those situations.

But all in all, I thought that line was actually quite good. Raymond was the best player on it, and Schroeder had a solid debut. Would be nice to see him notch his first career point tomorrow night.

Yeah, I won't rag on Weise, he's doing his job well, but he shouldn't be on that line. I kept saying "if that was Kassian..."

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Unless his job is to check the boards into submission he hasn't really done much of anything.

Those boards are going to think twice before they just stand there like that next time.

But seriously, as a fourth liner I'm happy if he brings energy, doesn't get scored on, and chews up double digit minutes.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Yeah I like Dale Weise, he's just being utilized in a way I don't see as ideal. That line was very strong, and if I've said it before I'll say it again till I'm blue in the face: Mason Raymond is a good hockey player. If I had to tinker with the forwards I might go:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Higgins
Burrows-Lapierre-Hansen
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

Higgins has better hands, could still create a bit of room for them, he's great along the boards and can finish. The Burrows/center experiment isn't going badly but I just would like to use natural centers, plus that 3rd line is a hell of a checking line isn't it? Just get Burrows doing the little things that got him a top-line job on this team in the first place is a good way to get him going again.

4th line is a mash-up really. Malhotra is a good 4th line center, Weise is great for puck battles and last year I thought Ebbett was fantastic in the bottom-line role he played and would like to see more of that. Plus, I am just not a huge fan of Volpatti. He's a decent bruiser when he makes contact with players, but it seems he has trouble laying out a check. Don't understand why they keep bringing him up to start the year only to see him get injured or something.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013
Schroeder connecting in on the Power Play for a premium one-time clapper bury tomorrow night.

Nucks 5-2

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
please don't attempt to run and gun like last game.. play a high pressure defensive game and it should be a win. the ducks are skilled but they aren't exactly fast or good defensively.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
No Lapierre on the ice at practice today, and AV gave the team a bag skate at the end - nice of him.

Sportsnet Pacific‏@SNETPacific

#Canucks with a bag skate at the end of practice. pic.twitter.com/dD9NNiL0

View photo Reply
Retweet
Favorite
More

Sportsnet Pacific‏@SNETPacific

#Canucks say Lapierre is at the rink just not on the ice today. Coach V will provide more of an update after the skate.

Expand Reply
Retweet
Favorite
More

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Higgins
Burrows-Lapierre-Hansen
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

I like this combination, yet judging by Higgins' snail-paced start to the season, it might be interesting to see Burr swap with Higg.

I have no problem with Ebb on the fourth, but I wouldn't mind seeing how Volp progresses a few more games. I've liked his effort level so far.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
They should play Schneider on Friday against Anaheim and on Sunday they should play Luongo.

If they really want to go with the "two number 1s" thing, I'd prefer they "ride the hot hand", goalies seem to play better when they can get in a groove.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Would like to see this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Until injuries/trades are healed/made, this seems to make the most sense.

The physicality Kassian brings to the first goes without saying, and when the occasional game arises where he goes AWOL, Burr can fill his usual duties.

Do you feel Ebb is a viable alternative for the fourth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad