Pre-Game Talk: Game 4 - Canadiens vs. Sabres on 10-9-19 at 7:00 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I have seen all Montreal games this year. They take a lot of penalties(we need more PP work:sarcasm:) and they have a really tough time getting out of their own end. Montreal doesn’t apply pressure like Columbus does so we should have more room to play our game.

Extra bonus is us getting Kinkaid if true

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I think the sabres are fine against teams like Montreal that are small up front and D is average. The bigger teams that can grind seem to be more of an issue for buffalo. That columbus game may be a harbinger of poor roster construction, but we'll see.
That's very true. You could see our struggles against Columbus, even in the pre-season. They must have that perfect mixture of speed and grit that gives us fits in our zone.

With Montreal, they have us beat on depth, while we have them beat on higher-end talent. They don't have an Eichel or Dahlin level players at this point, although Petry is super underrated and is a very good top pairing defender.

This is a good look at their team, they Bottom 9 forwards and Bottom 4 defenders are ranked in the top 10 for each line, whereas their top line and top pair are ranked in the bottom half of the league:

Team Line Combinations

Basically, we need our top guys to play like it today and will likely need a very good special teams performance on both ends. I'm not sure our secondary scoring lines can outplay theirs. Good thing we have the 180th Ranked RW on our 2nd line.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I mean mayne y'all better recognize. Sabres finna kill it tonight again mayne. They might score-a-lot records again baby with the arsenal of Victor Olofsson. That guy got that game baby. That guy got game like spike lee do.

I will be watching and studying y'all game tonight also so be aware, cause gangstas move only by night. Peace I'm out baby mayne.

Reactions: Abraham de Lacy

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sounds like they get Kinkaid tonight.
Canadiens at Sabres: Projected starting goalies

Keith Kinkaid vs. Carter Hutton
With Montreal slated for its home opener Thursday, expect Kinkaid to make his first start with the Canadiens. The Farmingville, N.Y. native, who signed as a free agent in July, was 15-18-6 with a .891 SV% and a 3.36 GAA in 41 games for the New Jersey Devils last season. Career vs. Sabres: 3-1 with a .931 SV% (stopping 108 of 116 shots) with a 2.00 GAA in four games, including 0-1 last season - a 5-1 loss at Buffalo Jan. 8.
Montreal Canadiens at Buffalo Sabres odds, picks and betting tips

Looks like one of those backup goalies the Sabres have made look like an all star except for last season's game.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Denis' tweet through Google Translate: It's Keith Kinkaid doing the starter routine this morning in Buffalo. A first start for him with the tricolor tonight vs. Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Canadiens at Sabres: Projected starting goalies

Keith Kinkaid vs. Carter Hutton
With Montreal slated for its home opener Thursday, expect Kinkaid to make his first start with the Canadiens. The Farmingville, N.Y. native, who signed as a free agent in July, was 15-18-6 with a .891 SV% and a 3.36 GAA in 41 games for the New Jersey Devils last season. Career vs. Sabres: 3-1 with a .931 SV% (stopping 108 of 116 shots) with a 2.00 GAA in four games, including 0-1 last season - a 5-1 loss at Buffalo Jan. 8.
Montreal Canadiens at Buffalo Sabres odds, picks and betting tips

Looks like one of those backup goalies the Sabres have made look like an all star except for last season's game.

I was going off of the AM 670 report this morning about Kinkaid. Glad the Montreal folks know their own team...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This is going to be my first Buffalo game of the year tonight. Had you guys as under rated all offseason on the mains, mainly because people discount how good Dahlin is and how much having an elite top line can win you games.

Question though, is Hutton projected to be your starting goalie for like 50+ games, or is it more of a rotation at the moment?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Question though, is Hutton projected to be your starting goalie for like 50+ games, or is it more of a rotation at the moment?

Looks like Hutton is the starting goalie, unless Ullmark decides to step up and take the reins.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Dang, they still haven't played a home game? Rough way to start the season.

Boston has played 3 games without being at home, Winnipeg has played 4 without being home, and Philly has only played 1 game. Islanders, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Colorado, haven't had a road game yet. It's all a bunch of craziness.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Should be an exciting game tonight with a fair amount of chances. Both teams like to play uptempo and forecheck like crazy. I think we do a slightly better job at getting the puck out of our end than Montreal does.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Whether you agree with some of the decisions or not, I like the attention to detail in filling out the roster.

Every player on a line has a role/job and they find players to fill them, not playing favorites or just pulling names out of the talented/untalented player hats. This approach probably makes it a lot easier for players to step in and out of the lineup since it's very clear what's expected of them from the coaches and their linemates.

Reactions: joshjull

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park

We just need to hope that Erod does enough over the next few weeks to make it impossible to take him out of the lineup. If he can help get Mittelstadt truly going at even strength, and maybe squeeze something from the stone that is Jimmy Vesey. Erod is more of a play driver than either of these guys, especially at even strength (he's pretty horrible on the PP actually).

This would allow Sheary to jump up on the second line upon his return. I think he'd be a good fit with Skinner and Johansson, as they're more of play drivers, Sheary is not. He can just ride shotgun and hopefully bury his chances.

At some point, Sobotka simply needs to be out of the Top 6, preferably the lineup altogether. That is, if we ever want to have a formidable top 6. We're very close to having a nice group of forwards, but still have some holes/drains in the Middle 6 (i.e. Vesey and Sobotka). Really hoping Asplund and/or Thompson can start to fill those roles later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad