GDT: Game 4: 10/10/2019 - Detroit Red Wings @ Montreal Canadiens - 7 PM ET (FS-D)

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I actually don't think playoffs are out of the question. If our defense keeps up (that is, if H and Ch keep improving) and if we could get some secondary scoring, I would not be surprised if we are in the buyers market come spring.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I actually don't think playoffs are out of the question. If our defense keeps up (that is, if H and Ch keep improving) and if we could get some secondary scoring, I would not be surprised if we are in the buyers market come spring.
I don't either. The problem with a one line team is that even one injury will derail the whole team. Fortunately the team also has AA, but I don't see this team winning many games if BLM or Hronek gets hurt.

The D looked fairly good for a bunch of inexperienced kids, Old Man Green has been the worst D so far.

I'm not sure if the team will buy, I think Stevie just rolls with what he's got. I wouldn't be surprised if the added help comes from GR though. Seider, Veleno, Smith, and Zadina might get called up later in the season (and Svech, but he's already on the roster).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just chiming in to say Helm should sit before Hirose and Abdelkader.
Surprisingly JDLR has some better advanced stats then quite a few on our roster, as does Abby & Helm.
Advanced stats are about scoring opportunities, and Helm probably has more than anyone else. The problem is that he can't convert. Considering the number of looks he's getting though, even with his career 7% SH%, he's bound to score a few goals.

Abby and DLR need to practice keeping their shots below the crossbar. In all reality they're the 3rd line right now because....

Couldn’t agree more with you. I actually thought Fil looked like the worst player on the ice (yes even more than Abdelkader)! Our 4th line on the other hand, played very well as a unit. I know a lot of people aren’t a fan of de la rose, but I think he’s a solid 4C.
Yeah, Fil doesn't look good, but his wingers aren't helping. It's time to put Svech in place of Ehn.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just chiming in to say Helm should sit before Hirose and Abdelkader.

Helm has been absolutely better than Abdelkader this season, I don't know what some of you are expecting from him. He is constantly after the puck when out there, and while Abdelkader has actually looked decent so far, he hasn't done anything of note either. Hirose in all fairness is not doing much of anything offensively and because he isn't a two way player really, he should sit for Svech, because he doesn't really fit as a checking line player.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I think we are bottom 2-7 this year, as the top line will slow down (unfortunately), and when they do, we just don't have enough to get us over the hump. We aren't a good enough one line team to win despite lack of scoring from outside that line. We beat Nashville and Dallas which was surprising, but as the season progresses, those good teams will get it together and won't be easy to beat. Good teams always seem to take 1-3 weeks to get truly going and it seems in with that, the bad teams are able to capitalize with little or no pressure to win the games.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Yeah, Fil doesn't look good, but his wingers aren't helping. It's time to put Svech in place of Ehn.

Couldn’t agree more. It seems like Ehn is one of those players who plays hard in practice and the coach favours because of it...
Svechnikov can potentially add a lot more to the game than Ehn does, but I guess at the moment Ehn is still the “safer” pick. I do hope Svechnikov gets a chance sooner than later though, I do believe that he can still become a solid 20G 25-30A type of player

Reactions: Gniwder

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017

no way. look at this roster. Keeping this up won't be possible. We have had this same scenario a few times the last few seasons. Bottom 5 in the end

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With how the team is playing, it's probably hard to justify sitting anyone. With Ehn, he PKs and he's capable of playing center. He gives the lineup more flexibility and eats some minutes in a key area that Svechnikov wouldn't. If someone is just being straight up benched for Svech, I think we would be looking at either Hirose or Erne.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With how the team is playing, it's probably hard to justify sitting anyone. With Ehn, he PKs and he's capable of playing center. He gives the lineup more flexibility and eats some minutes in a key area that Svechnikov wouldn't. If someone is just being straight up benched for Svech, I think we would be looking at either Hirose or Erne.

Ehn has been fine to me, he drew two penalties last game including the one that gave us the game winner. He is always on the right side of the puck and his speed and size allow us to deploy him confidently against some pretty tough matchups.

I think you have pointed out the two I would be okay with, honestly Hirose has been the least impressive of the forward group for me. Helm would probably be the third worst thus far but is coming off his strongest game in a while. I think Hirose does offer some things to the PP, but I am not sure Fil cannot execute his passes, he just requires so much space to be effective. Though I would give him a few more games to see where he and Athanasiou are at. Still I think Fil can provide a lot of the hold up quick transition plays that Hirose executes. I think Svech-Ehn-Erne would be a really hard line to play against though.

While it wouldn't be skilled a bottom six of

Svech - Ehn - Erne
Helm - DLR - Gator

That is a cycle you to death while playing decent defense bottom six. Everything is funneling at your net and the corners are miserable for 20-24 minutes a night. Assuming they keep up their play. But with our lack of skill already, I get the fear of sitting Hirose, just I think he needs to provide more than he has or I run with that lineup. If Hirose can make the case with AA in the next few games fine, but that is where I lean now.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
no way. look at this roster. Keeping this up won't be possible. We have had this same scenario a few times the last few seasons. Bottom 5 in the end

I think they were better, but we could find a formula ala the Islanders last year where it just keeps clicking.

I seriously doubt it, but a heavy defensive and speed identity with a top 5 line could drag us to weird places. I still think the bottom will drop out here. But it depends I remember making the argument on both the Islanders and Avs a few years ago in their first surge up before they fell back for a year that they didn't have the talent. There is generally a team or two that for whatever reason jumps up for a year, I think we would return like the Avs did the next year if we did it this year barring some big UFA stuff, but it would be a sign that they were figuring it out.

As is we need near perfect health because we have no depth. We need our top line to keep playing like this for an insanely long time with just a few off nights. Now that is what Dylan Larkin said his goal was and several times last year he listed MacKinnon as a guy he looks to. Lofty stuff, but I am pretty done doubting what Larks can do, if the young kids drag us to contender good on them. It will come from within. While I think landing a Byfield is how this group becomes a cup contender within five years, I am also never going to root for this team to lose games. That is especially the case if they are going to work this hard and play at this kind of pace all year. Tall order, but man I hope they can.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I think they were better, but we could find a formula ala the Islanders last year where it just keeps clicking.

I seriously doubt it, but a heavy defensive and speed identity with a top 5 line could drag us to weird places. I still think the bottom will drop out here. But it depends I remember making the argument on both the Islanders and Avs a few years ago in their first surge up before they fell back for a year that they didn't have the talent. There is generally a team or two that for whatever reason jumps up for a year, I think we would return like the Avs did the next year if we did it this year barring some big UFA stuff, but it would be a sign that they were figuring it out.

As is we need near perfect health because we have no depth. We need our top line to keep playing like this for an insanely long time with just a few off nights. Now that is what Dylan Larkin said his goal was and several times last year he listed MacKinnon as a guy he looks to. Lofty stuff, but I am pretty done doubting what Larks can do, if the young kids drag us to contender good on them. It will come from within. While I think landing a Byfield is how this group becomes a cup contender within five years, I am also never going to root for this team to lose games. That is especially the case if they are going to work this hard and play at this kind of pace all year. Tall order, but man I hope they can.

i'm also happy if they prove me wrong, happy about every win and losses always suck. I think Blashhill has this team overperforming a bit, which is a big plus for him. I expect this season to still be bad, and i see us trending upwards beginning next season. By then, Zadina, Seider, Svech and Veleno should contribute to the big club and we'd have more depth and skill to go with the intensity blash injects into this team. Having a good 1st line is a pretty good starting point and makes the games much more enjoyable than the "line blender"

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im thinking yzermans leadership plus the changes in personel hes made has put blash on more solid ground . hes being exposed to better ideas now and it has him growing as a coach , hes becoming wiser . i followed blash n griffs constantly on internet streams when he was there and was always a big backer . then when he came up i saw it as a rookie player coming up his first several seasons and he had stuff to learn / experience to gain . and now with a better group of brass around him hes greatly benefitted and when i hear him speak ive much more confidence in his leadership . since 19 arrived its like general patton arrived on the front lines , he gives every man greater confidence and better ideas to survive by . you can see it in both the players and the coaches .

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
The production? I don't care about fancy graphics, impartiality, or manufactured hype on my local broadcast. I just want a good hd feed with fun personalities, and we have exactly that.

Right. Like I said, it barely clears the lowest of bars.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'm curious which TV crews you would prefer the Red Wings aspire to?

Off the top of my head, I never heard Dave Strader stray very far into frivolity as a play by play guy, and Paul Woods is an example of a color guy that is more likely to tell you about the other teams 3rd pairing d-men than his political views.

They are humble enough to bring you into the building, instead of putting a velvet rope around it.

I like a color guy that has the ethos of a referee for unbiased critique, that allows him to delve into the details of the game, without being a distraction or too subjective/involved in confirmation bias, and a PbP guy that would rather listen to skates and sticks, then tell a story from the past or a gossipy anecdote.

Bruce Connal was a producer with a reputation for being really invested in the events he was covering. It's great when a producer is following closely enough that there can be narrative and summarial threads running through the broadcast, and timely replays and angles, without the broadcast devolving into a conversational tone that overrides the pacing and flow of the game/event. No "more on this after the break", no split screen interviews while play is going on, no oscar picks or whatever.

Sideline reporters can add backstory, and delve into the details and volatility of an athletes journey and personal performance, instead of interviewing his parents about what it's like to have their first Little Caesers pizza.

There is a world of unlicensed/licensed music and video editing programs for artists to line up highlights, recaps and unique cuts of the action, instead of drag and dropping footage into a pre-cut advertisement for a specific track that is contractually obligated to happen during the broadcast.

On-air promotions could be focused around growing the game, and engagement from the youth in the game and community, instead of a fundraiser for "non-profits".

And again, I'm just saying the bar is being set really low. I don't find FSD and Ken and Mick to be any more flawed than any other regional or national broadcast under the NHL's umbrella.

But it's a sport that lends itself to dynamic coverage. It happens on an enclosed 360 degree surface in the same locations dozens of times a year. Each game features a tangible head to head match up of measurable attributes and tactical formations that can be objectively observed. Non-invasive player,camera and stat tracking hasn't moved an inch since the false start in the blue puck era.

It's a niche sport with a dedicated and knowledgeable fanbase, where the risk of engaging with new or inexperienced viewers is next to none, yet broadcasts talk down to the viewers, and over the action, for fear of alienating the uninitiated.

So with all that in my mind, it's hard for me to applaud the NHL and FS, for their bare bones, personality and familiarity driven, discount broadcasts.

I think more dynamic and mature in-game coverage would do more to teach the game to new fans, than constant harping on basic generalities about the game, and I think if the media was more engaged in the development of the season, us long term fans would have more to sink our teeth into, and feel less like the regular season was a vacuumblender that is going to spit out 16 fairly evenly matched teams.

Hockey is a sport that should be greatly benefiting from the age of technology and media that it is in. Instead it keeps falling further into obscurity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad