GDT: Game 4: 10/10/2019 - Detroit Red Wings @ Montreal Canadiens - 7 PM ET (FS-D)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am glad to see us winning, but to me it is quite clear that we are a one line team, and once our top guys cool down just a little, we are going to be in for some rough games. Our only hope is BLM stay hot. I also really dislike the Erne-Fil-Ehn line as they just don't seem to work well together. Erne seems like he would be good playing with a faster playmaker type and would actually fit in well in my opinion on the top line in Bertuzzi' spot if there is ever a need to change it up.

I thought Cholowski is looking a little more calm out there when the play gets a little hairier for lack of a better word. Seemed to panic less on bad plays or mistakes. Bernier was solid, although that first goal would have been nice if it had been stopped.

Athanasiou doesn't look terrible or anything out there, but he is doing his infuriating bit of basically not even looking to see if he has a teammate to outlet pass the puck to. He is basically 85% of I am doing this by myself no matter what. If he wants to be a good player, he needs to use his teammates. Has he ever heard of give and go passing to get past coverage, my guess is no.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I do like that Hronek and Cholo are playing together at times tonight.

They have played only random shifts here and there together, but they seem to have very nice chemistry together and I actually think that both of them look better as a unit.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I am glad to see us winning, but to me it is quite clear that we are a one line team, and once our top guys cool down just a little, we are going to be in for some rough games. Our only hope is BLM stay hot. I also really dislike the Erne-Fil-Ehn line as they just don't seem to work well together. Erne seems like he would be good playing with a faster playmaker type and would actually fit in well in my opinion on the top line in Bertuzzi' spot if there is ever a need to change it up.

I thought Cholowski is looking a little more calm out there when the play gets a little hairier for lack of a better word. Seemed to panic less on bad plays or mistakes. Bernier was solid, although that first goal would have been nice if it had been stopped.

Athanasiou doesn't look terrible or anything out there, but he is doing his infuriating bit of basically not even looking to see if he has a teammate to outlet pass the puck to. He is basically 85% of I am doing this by myself no matter what. If he wants to be a good player, he needs to use his teammates. Has he ever heard of give and go passing to get past coverage, my guess is no.

We really need a number 2 center, we have some kids who are coming through the system but we need someone to center AA. The top line is playing like a top line and that is amazing, I have no hopes that they will eclipse 100 points seasons each, but if they can keep it going to the tone of 70 points each that will get us pretty far.

This season is basically on the house, so any success is a bonus. I think before the season most of us would consider the season successful if the young guys improved and we landed the number 1 pick so we can get Lafreniere and pair him with Veleno and Zadina/Rasmussen for a future firepower line.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
They have played only random shifts here and there together, but they seem to have very nice chemistry together and I actually think that both of them look better as a unit.

couldn’t agree more. They had an amazing game when paired together. DDK was solid as well. Green was alright. Not really a fan of the other 2 defenders. Bowey and Nemeth looked clunky and slow

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
De la Rose was a lot better than Ehn tonight, and has been this season so far. Ehn should be the one to sit. Surprised you think they're interchangeable so far this season, de la Rose has looked pretty solid with Helm and Abdelkader, where Ehn has been invisible and has absolutely no chemistry with Erne or Filppula.

Look out, you'll get a lot of flack here for critiquing the almighty Christoffer Ehn.

(Agreed wholeheartedly though)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I am glad to see us winning, but to me it is quite clear that we are a one line team, and once our top guys cool down just a little, we are going to be in for some rough games. Our only hope is BLM stay hot.
This isn't untrue, but people need to start looking at this as cause for optimism.

Our forward unit isn't supposed to be a Cup contender right now. Nobody expects that. But it's trending up. Ideally we'll be a lot closer next year or the one after.

If we really have a solid first line (and some mediocre secondary scoring, AA at the very least plus a couple other maybes) then we can fix that. We have prospects and cap space for trades or free agents. It's a LOT easier to add a good second liner than a good first liner.

So if our "one line team" is winning now, where will it be when we add a couple Tatar/ Nyquist level guys? I think asking Yzerman to do that isn't farfetched. At least it's a lot easier than asking him to find someone better than Larkin.

Not to mention if our D ever finally develops some offensive talent (still TBD but looking more promising lately) it's going to make everyone look better in that department.

So yea I'll take this team a little lacking in the secondary scoring department any day.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
This isn't untrue, but people need to start looking at this as cause for optimism.

Our forward unit isn't supposed to be a Cup contender right now. Nobody expects that. But it's trending up. Ideally we'll be a lot closer next year or the one after.

If we really have a solid first line (and some mediocre secondary scoring, AA at the very least plus a couple other maybes) then we can fix that. We have prospects and cap space for trades or free agents. It's a LOT easier to add a good second liner than a good first liner.

So if our "one line team" is winning now, where will it be when we add a couple Tatar/ Nyquist level guys? I think asking Yzerman to do that isn't farfetched. At least it's a lot easier than asking him to find someone better than Larkin.

Not to mention if our D ever finally develops some offensive talent (still TBD but looking more promising lately) it's going to make everyone look better in that department.

So yea I'll take this team a little lacking in the secondary scoring department any day.

It is 100% a cause for optimism.

We have the under performing vets on the correct line. We upgraded our D by adding Cholo + Nemeth - Big E.
Hronek is continuing his unreal development curve. Filp is a better addition than Vanek.
Larkin, Mantha and Bert are developing into a legit first line.
We are a better team than we were at the start of last season.

I don't see the playoffs this year by any means but I think were going to finish a lot higher than most think (or hope).

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Look out, you'll get a lot of flack here for critiquing the almighty Christoffer Ehn.

(Agreed wholeheartedly though)

My only criticism of Ehn is his overuse of the word "like".

Anyone else hear his interview with Ken Kal before the game? It sounded like he learned English from a 13YO female.

When asked about the BLM line, his response was something along the lines of: Those like guys are like good like hockey players. They like play hard and like score like goals and like help us like win like games.

If they had a "like" counter like they did in the South Park episode where they count how many times "sh*t" was said, I think it would've been somewhere around 30 or so in a minute and a half interview.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm only going by highlights but wasn't the faceoff win on the Habs first goal pushed back with the players glove? I thought you couldn't do that anymore?

EDIT: eh, on a different angle it looks more like it was his stick.

Sorry I missed this one. Sounded like a great game.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
De la Rose was a lot better than Ehn tonight, and has been this season so far. Ehn should be the one to sit. Surprised you think they're interchangeable so far this season, de la Rose has looked pretty solid with Helm and Abdelkader, where Ehn has been invisible and has absolutely no chemistry with Erne or Filppula.
I agree that DLR has been playing better than Ehn, but Ehn seems to be a coach's favorite for some reason (he is a strong kid with decent skating) despite the fact that he's got the worst +/-, no points, and no chemistry (as you pointed out). The reasonable thing to do here is swap Svech for Ehn, but I can see Blash dropping Ehn to the 4th line and sitting DLR. I am NOT endorsing that move by any means.

This is what happens when you rush prospects to the big league, Ehn should have been in GR last year and developing a scoring touch. I think he's got too many NHL games now and has to go through waivers (I think, haven't checked).

Svech needs to play (middle 6 role), my choices for the press box are:
- Ehn
- DLR
- Hirose
- Abby (he's playing OK, but he would be next)
in that order.

I just hope Blash doesn't get too attached to players, especially 4th liners because there's a lot of prospects coming up in the next 2 years.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree that DLR has been playing better than Ehn, but Ehn seems to be a coach's favorite for some reason (he is a strong kid with decent skating) despite the fact that he's got the worst +/-, no points, and no chemistry (as you pointed out). The reasonable thing to do here is swap Svech for Ehn, but I can see Blash dropping Ehn to the 4th line and sitting DLR. I am NOT endorsing that move by any means.

This is what happens when you rush prospects to the big league, Ehn should have been in GR last year and developing a scoring touch. I think he's got too many NHL games now and has to go through waivers (I think, haven't checked).

Svech needs to play (middle 6 role), my choices for the press box are:
- Ehn
- DLR
- Hirose
- Abby (he's playing OK, but he would be next)
in that order.

I just hope Blash doesn't get too attached to players, especially 4th liners because there's a lot of prospects coming up in the next 2 years.

Just chiming in to say Helm should sit before Hirose and Abdelkader.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

Couldn’t agree more with you. I actually thought Fil looked like the worst player on the ice (yes even more than Abdelkader)! Our 4th line on the other hand, played very well as a unit. I know a lot of people aren’t a fan of de la rose, but I think he’s a solid 4C.

I think AA needs a few more games and he’ll be scoring at a similar rate as last year again. He did miss most of the preseason, so he still has some rust to shake off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad