GDT: Game 39: Avs vs Hawks | 7 PM MT | December 29, 2018

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ only rushed up in the second period a few times. The rest of the game he was stuck in mud and slow like he has been most of the year.

I don't understand the EJ is slow this year idea. I know some were never fans of his to begin with, but his skating looks just the same as he's always looked to me.

Ever since his golf cart injury, he's never had a quick first few steps. It always takes him a bit to get his big body up to speed. That's why they were worried about him on the Olympic team, even though I don't think the concern was warranted.

He just isn't skating with the puck much because he's deferring to Girard waaaaaaay more than he ever did with his past partners Quincey/Hejda/Hannan/Beauchemin/Zadorov.

After his first few steps he's just as fast as he's always been. This is EJ late in the 3rd period, 30 seconds into his shift, out hustling a pretty fast skater in Kempe to the icing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ has never been great offensively. So IMO it is not going to be hard to replace that aspect. Strength, size, skating, and defensive intelligence will bring the same thing pretty much. Especially if that player has someone like Girard, Barrie, or Makar with them. Which isn't something EJ had at his best.

I have to disagree there. This is EJ's 11th season. He's scored at a 39+ point pace four times and a 29+ point pace five other times.

Only the lockout shortened 2012-13 season and this year has he been below that level of production, and I think this year it has a lot to do with giving the puck to Girard so much.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't understand the EJ is slow this year idea. I know some were never fans of his to begin with, but his skating looks just the same as he's always looked to me.

Ever since his golf cart injury, he's never had a quick first few steps. It always takes him a bit to get his big body up to speed. That's why they were worried about him on the Olympic team, even though I don't think the concern was warranted.

He just isn't skating with the puck much because he's deferring to Girard waaaaaaay more than he ever did with his past partners Quincey/Hejda/Hannan/Beauchemin/Zadorov.

After his first few steps he's just as fast as he's always been. This is EJ late in the 3rd period, 30 seconds into his shift, out hustling a pretty fast skater in Kempe to the icing.

His decision making out there has been slower. Hes just not the same EJ we are all used to and it sucks.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
His decision making out there has been slower. Hes just not the same EJ we are all used to and it sucks.

I agree, his decision making has not been as good, but there's lots that can contribute to that. Being put in different situations with a much different partner in Girard who can be tough to read, and who still makes the occasional young mistake, and occasionally over handles the puck and turns it over at his blue line, can be tough to adjust to.

It doesn't have to mean he's on a steep downward trajectory from here either, he could regain a higher level of play down the stretch and into the playoffs. It's certainly possible.

He's not blameless by any means. He can be better and he needs to be.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I have to disagree there. This is EJ's 11th season. He's scored at a 39+ point pace four times and a 29+ point pace five other times.

Only the lockout shortened 2012-13 season and this year has he been below that level of production, and I think this year it has a lot to do with giving the puck to Girard so much.

I wasn't saying EJ sucks offensively, but he definitely has never been on the level of very difficult to replace offensive production the way Barrie is.

I don't think it will be impossible for someone like Timmins or even Meloche to put up 30 point seasons on the regular at their peak. EJ will be difficult to fill in for, but I just don't believe it is going to be as difficult as some people. Especially with the OFD that we have off setting things a bit. Which makes it more plausible that someone like Meloche replaces what EJ brings. The size, skating, good puck movement, and defensive play are tools that Meloche possess, and especially Timmins.

Reactions: Waingro

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
MacKinnon and Rantanen should be separated. Ratanene should be capable of driving his own line, if we're paying this guy 9-10M next year he needs to be able to drive his own line and not be attached to MacKinnon all the time.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Jost
Kerfoot-Compher-Rantanen

Run with this for the top 6.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
MacKinnon and Rantanen should be separated. Ratanene should be capable of driving his own line, if we're paying this guy 9-10M next year he needs to be able to drive his own line and not be attached to MacKinnon all the time.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Jost
Kerfoot-Compher-Rantanen

I'm okay with trying this. People will have to accept there will likely be a drop in their production though.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Jost
Kerfoot-Compher-Rantanen

If Jared is splitting them up I would actually like to see this. It also might force Mackinnon to going back to being the shooter he was last season although the last few games he has been shooting more.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Jost hasn't done anything to earn a spot on the top line, and I think that 1st line with Landeskog-MacKinnon-Jost will have significant drop off in production because it's been Rantanen who's been the catalyst on the top line setting up majority of the plays, you replace that with Jost and that line will decrease quite a bit.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This year’s version of EJ reminds me of the version we’ve seen when he’s represented team USA over the years - which is not good.

His role is reduced, and thus he’s playing with no swagger and confidence. Aside from being noticeable when making mistakes, he’s been invisible because the rare times the puck is on his stick, he dishes it to Girard to headman the offensive transition.

I think the problem is mental, but I don’t think I can prove it unless his ice time goes up to his normal ~23-25 minutes per night.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Landeskog-Kerfoot-Compher also looked quite good last game. If Jost fails quickly yank him with Ghetto.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
This year’s version of EJ reminds me of the version we’ve seen when he’s represented team USA over the years - which is not good.

His role is reduced, and thus he’s playing with no swagger and confidence. Aside from being noticeable when making mistakes, he’s been invisible because the rare times the puck is on his stick, he dishes it to Girard to headman the offensive transition.

I think the problem is mental, but I don’t think I can prove it unless his ice time goes up to his normal ~23-25 minutes per night.

I think you are right. I also do not think that EJ should be untouchable. He has been the number D on a club with a very bad D core here for many years. I like lot as a player and I think he is a good leader, but I would not be very upset if he is traded.

Reactions: shadow1

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think this is very possible. I think he might be struggling to adjust to not having the puck as much. I think it pumps him up and gets him into games mentally.

Either way he's got to find a way to fight through it. He's too important to the team.

Reactions: shadow1

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No I definitely think EJ is slower this season both skating wise and in his decision making.

He's also infuriating me by giving up the blue line so easily on a consistent basis.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I suggest that EJ has played passable the past couple of weeks. I always considered him a low #1 since I believe that number-crunching defenders that can play against the opposing's best line on a nightly basis an incredible feat. However, I don't think he has played like that since the start of the season. He's been able to continue to number-crunch, but his decisions with the puck for instance has absolutely regressed to a #2 level (you can make an argument that it could be even lower). Whatever the case is, being only passable doesn't help you win games.

But he isn't the only one who's making mistakes out there, Girard is getting creamed on the forecheque almost every other game, Barrie has had his controller inverted, and Cole has regressed back into a mid-pairing defender. I forgot who mentioned it, but I don't think there is any coincidence defensively that this team has started losing more and more games once Cole's form has reduced in the past month. I don't mind the Johnson-Girard pairing, but I also don't see a pure coincidence that Zadorov is very much a stabilizing factor for our core. In the few games that EJ and Z were together, Johnson looked more like his old self and Zadorov looked to handle the pressure of his weaknesses compared to being on the bottom-pairing. The bad aspect is that Zadorov isn't even practicing yet, the only two chaps in the red sweaters from what I saw on Friday were Barberio and Timmins.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I suggest that EJ has played passable the past couple of weeks. I always considered him a low #1 since I believe that number-crunching defenders that can play against the opposing's best line on a nightly basis an incredible feat. However, I don't think he has played like that since the start of the season. He's been able to continue to number-crunch, but his decisions with the puck for instance has absolutely regressed to a #2 level (you can make an argument that it could be even lower). Whatever the case is, being only passable doesn't help you win games.

But he isn't the only one who's making mistakes out there, Girard is getting creamed on the forecheque almost every other game, Barrie has had his controller inverted, and Cole has regressed back into a mid-pairing defender. I forgot who mentioned it, but I don't think there is any coincidence defensively that this team has started losing more and more games once Cole's form has reduced in the past month. I don't mind the Johnson-Girard pairing, but I also don't see a pure coincidence that Zadorov is very much a stabilizing factor for our core. In the few games that EJ and Z were together, Johnson looked more like his old self and Zadorov looked to handle the pressure of his weaknesses compared to being on the bottom-pairing. The bad aspect is that Zadorov isn't even practicing yet, the only two chaps in the red sweaters from what I saw on Friday were Barberio and Timmins.

Totally agree. I don't think he's played well, but he played worse towards the beginning of the season, and overall he hasn't really been that bad IMO. I've seen much much worse.

He's playing at a level that seems correctable to me, but we'll have to see if he does. If he's still not playing well down the stretch and (hopefully) into the playoffs then I'll start worrying, because that's when he should shine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->