GDT: Game #38: @ San Jose, April 7th, 3:00 PM

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
The only way to ensure long term franchise success is to either be so middling you're always getting into the 10-14 range and never trading your picks, or suck hard enough (or get unlucky enough) for a top 5 pick.

I want this franchise to win, but we've had ... too much success and too much buying of success pre-Nieuwendyk to maintain that level. We came down, came down hard. We stayed competitive somehow.

Hope we lose just enough enough to help this organization get back on it's feet for the next 10 years... well we've started that and all we need is more legitimate talent...

Also, bad troll is bad go home you're drunk.

I almost think you're a Tom Hicks talking head whose next move will be trade the first for Ladislav Nagy's frozen corpse.
That's such bull. You don't need a top 5 pick to become a great team, otherwise Detroit would be the worst team in the league.

aloonda*

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. They just don't want to follow in the footsteps of the Dallas Cowboys and tread water in mediocrity for decades.

If you are a girl, I love you. If you are a guy, then hi five?:handclap:

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
We're technically only 2 wins out of the playoffs. Say we win 3/4 of the remaining games; we'd likely make the playoffs. Would I prefer we at least make the playoffs as opposed to a top 5 pick? Yes. But that's just me.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
That's such bull. You don't need a top 5 pick to become a great team, otherwise Detroit would be the worst team in the league.

Let me remind you, that they had a Steve Yzerman. A Nick Lidstrom at the height of the Europe rush. They've had stupid lucky success finding very talented guys in the late rounds.

They've also NOT traded away all of their home built talent, just a piece here and there to fill holes. As opposed to Dallas who has traded away quite a few pieces that should have become solid parts of the franchise.

Plus, the Red Wings arguably have one of the, if not the, best coaches in the NHL.

Detroit's winning ways may start to slip away now that they're only the 8th seed and almost out of the POs. Especially with Datsyuk rumoured to be going to the KHL in a year, Lidstrom gone, and the youth movement coming in to Detroit.

So, don't tell me that Detroit's winning ways aren't the product of legitimate talent, some of which was found in the top 5.

And our future looks just as bright as theirs right now. A bubble team fighting to get in.

And, I want them to compete and battle, but ultimately I want them to lose 4-3 in a close game every night. None of this 9-1 blowout ****. No one wants that.

You lose just enough to get a good chance at some legitimately awesome talent or you wallow is mediocrity. Or you make the playoffs and no one questions you until you get swept in the first round.

Last edited:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Let me remind you, that they had a Steve Yzerman. A Nick Lidstrom at the height of the Europe rush. They've had stupid lucky success finding very talented guys in the late rounds.

They've also NOT traded away all of their home built talent, just a piece here and there to fill holes. As opposed to Dallas who has traded away quite a few pieces that should have become solid parts of the franchise.

Plus, the Red Wings arguably have one of the, if not the, best coaches in the NHL.

Detroit's winning ways may start to slip away now that they're only the 8th seed and almost out of the POs. Especially with Datsyuk rumoured to be going to the KHL in a year, Lidstrom gone, and the youth movement coming in to Detroit.

So, don't tell me that Detroit's winning ways aren't the product of legitimate talent, some of which was found in the top 5.

And our future looks just as bright as theirs right now. A bubble team fighting to get in.

And, I want them to compete and battle, but ultimately I want them to lose 4-3 in a close game every night. None of this 9-1 blowout ****. No one wants that.

None of which was found in the top 5. They haven't had a top 5 draft pick since the 90s. We have great amateur scouts, you know that as well as anyone here. We don't need a top 5 pick to find great talent. We've already got an extremely bright future, just look at our young guys in Cedar Park. Look at the young guys we've brought up this season. This is now the youngest Stars team I think I've ever seen since I started watching in 96-97, and they are playing great. I think we're a better team through subtraction now because we've been able to bring up some truly talented players from Texas.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
lol
let's meet at the next home game
duke it out
then wish for a third period taco together and become best friends

I just pictured two guys trying to eat the same taco at once.

Was not a pretty thought.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Lady_and_the_Tramp_spaghetti_scene.350w_263h.jpg

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
None of which was found in the top 5. They haven't had a top 5 draft pick since the 90s. We have great amateur scouts, you know that as well as anyone here. We don't need a top 5 pick to find great talent. We've already got an extremely bright future, just look at our young guys in Cedar Park. Look at the young guys we've brought up this season. This is now the youngest Stars team I think I've ever seen since I started watching in 96-97, and they are playing great. I think we're a better team through subtraction now because we've been able to bring up some truly talented players from Texas.

It is the closest thing you can get to guarantee yourself talent though.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Did I not just say Steve Yzerman? Who won... how many cups? Drafted 4th OV?

Hell, we had Modano (and a huge bunch of free agents in the past billion years) get us a cup and a half.

Just realize, that this is a new era in hockey. You draft well, you win. Every team outside of Detroit has done that. Hell, Detroit has done that without first round picks because of their scouting wizardry and extreme patience with prospects because they don't play it like a rocket race.

We have Jamie Benn as a testament to the fact we don't NEED a top 5 pick.

But you know what?

Even with all of this great talent we have coming up, not all of it will make it. I'd at least like to know that we can afford to win longer by having better talent. You can draft great complimentary pieces but never put it together. No one trades top talent for complimentary pieces until it becomes worth it for various reasons (UFA, player wants out, busts), and even then you assume that risk.

What's the risk in trading 8 losses for a guy we might have for 7+ years and be a superstar for the organization?

I would say worth it at this point.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
What you have to remember is that these guys are kids. Eakin, Benn, Dillon, Roussel, Chiasson, Oleksiak, Smith, etc. etc., they're all 24 and under. They're going to continue to improve as players. With that reasoning, you can have every inclination to believe that we'll grow into more and more of a contender as time goes on.

Would a top 5 pick this year be nice, and make us become a top tier team faster? Yes it would. Is having said pick necessary for us to field a competitive team in the next 2-3 years? No it's not. The core we have can (emphasize on can) be enough. We just have to let them grow.

________

Feb 6, 2006
None of which was found in the top 5. They haven't had a top 5 draft pick since the 90s. We have great amateur scouts, you know that as well as anyone here. We don't need a top 5 pick to find great talent. .

Detroit is the only exception they were awful for such a long time to before they had the twenty year stretch or whatever.

Looking at the cup winners since the season was cancelled. The only exception to not having a recent top five pick is Detroit, or another "top ten" pick.

Kings Doughty 2nd overall, they had numerous first round picks, top ten picks etc. They had tons of picks.
Bruins Kessel 5th overall in 06, another top ten pick the year later, then acquired two top ten picks(#2 overall Seguin) in the Kessel trade to. Also got lucky with Chara in free agency to.
Chicago Toews, Kane top five picks
Pittsburgh Nothing needs to be said here really.
Anaheim had 2nd overall in 05, won cup in 07, got lucky to with Niedermayer wanting to go play with his brother, then Pronger on the trade market. Ducks also had a top ten pick in 2004 to take Smid, which they traded Smid as part of the package to the Oilers for Pronger.
Carolina 2006 Eric Staal second overalll (in 2003), Jack Johnson 3rd overall in 2005.

The Stars need at least two players with top line, or top pair upside, before they become a stanley cup contender again.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
By that logic, Minnesota should be a contender within the next few years.

Which they most likely will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad