GDT: Game # 38 - Rangers vs Pittsburgh - 7pm - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Games against Pitt are torture. Let’s see if DQ had learned anything and adjusts accordingly. 6th time’s the charm??

You mean that you don't believe Pittsburgh has been the far better team this year?

What adjustments would put the Rangers on equal footing with Pittsburgh?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Look at that Pittsburgh forward lineup. Guentzel, Sid, maybe Zucker and maybe Rust are the only guys who should even be sniffing top six. Defense and goaltending doesn’t look a whole lot better and somehow they’re a good team.

For one thing, I think you're underrating their D.

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
You mean that you don't believe Pittsburgh has been the far better team this year?

They are simply better coached. Talent is very similar.

my adjustment would be firing Quinn.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
For one thing, I think you're underrating their D.

It’s performed very well but Mathesson and Pettersson (to a lesser extent) seem to often be considered bad contracts by Pitts fans and Pettersson has disappointed relative to expectations since signing his extension, from what I’m told by Pens fans. Ceci has played better than expected this year but is hardly a gem. There’s no doubt their team and defense have performed well, I just think it’s remarkable how hodgepodge it looks on paper.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Gauthier has probably created more scoring opportunities in 1 game than PDG the entire season.

Gauthier makes a lot of awful plays, too.

He's also become a 1-move player that drives the outside of the D, which isn't a terrible move, but I'd like to see him do something else once in a while.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It’s performed very well but Mathesson and Pettersson (to a lesser extent) seem to often be considered bad contracts by Pitts fans and Pettersson has disappointed relative to expectations since signing his extension, from what I’m told by Pens fans. Ceci has played better than expected this year but is hardly a gem. There’s no doubt their team and defense have performed well, I just think it’s remarkable how hodgepodge it looks on paper.

I've learned that fans of teams almost always have a more negative view of their own players and/or coach than the reality. What they think is often inaccurate.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Look at that Pittsburgh forward lineup. Guentzel, Sid, maybe Zucker and maybe Rust are the only guys who should even be sniffing top six. Defense and goaltending doesn’t look a whole lot better and somehow they’re a good team.

Sullivan vs. Quinn. Quinn might be the biggest net negative in the league.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Credit to the Rangers media machine for framing the Kid Line as the third line when the Rooney line consistently gets more ice time.
It's really sad because there's a world where they're playing with each other for the next decade plus. But I don't think they'll develop chemistry if they never settle into a groove in the games.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

They have been far better than us... the same team that had rumblings of firing their coach. He won with AHL defense and didn't make excuses

Support the puck better, add depth and layers to our attack. Stop forcing cross ice passes and playing on the perimeter... would be a good start.

We're a finesse perimeter team with no depth to our attack and bad transition... any adjustments to that can go a long way

Powerplay? It has been the same exact, room temperature IQ setup, since the beginning of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
They have been far better than us... the same team that had rumblings of firing their coach. He won with AHL defense and didn't make excuses

Support the puck better, add depth and layers to our attack. Stop forcing cross ice passes and playing on the perimeter... would be a good start.

We're a finesse perimeter team with no depth to our attack and bad transition... any adjustments to that can go a long way

So, you believe that Quinn is telling them to play on the perimeter and make cross-ice passes?

I doubt that's true, but if it's accurate and Gorton hasn't fired Quinn, the fault lies 100% on Gorton.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So, you believe that Quinn is telling them to play on the perimeter and make cross-ice passes?

I doubt that's true, but if it's accurate and Gorton hasn't fired Quinn, the fault lies 100% on Gorton.
So, you believe a Coach doesn't dictate how his team plays? Or is capable of making 'bad habits' stop?

What he says in the press comapred to what happens on the ice... TWO different things. Either, he's incompetent in implementation and communication, or the players tune him out and dont care what he says. Either scenario, not good.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
6-2 loss. Blackwell scores both goals and solidifies his spot in the top 6 for the next decade

If Blackwell gets their only two goals, the decision to place him where he is, would be the correct choice.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
So, you believe a Coach doesn't dictate how his team plays? Or is capable of making 'bad habits' stop?

What he says in the press comapred to what happens on the ice... TWO different things. Either, he's incompetent in implementation and communication, or the players tune him out and dont care what he says. Either scenario, not good.

Yet he continues to play the guys doing that 20 minutes a night.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Again, if your assessment of Quinn is correct, isn't it incumbent upon management to fire Quinn, and if they are aware of what you seem to be aware of, and not firing him, isn't it 100% Gorton's fault that an incompetent coach is keeping his job?

I really don't see another way to look at this.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Powerplay? It has been the same exact, room temperature IQ setup, since the beginning of the season

Transition defense or offense? Because Vally said our transition offense is great.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
GDT reminder: f*** David Quinn in the ass with a Duku angled light saber
maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->