GDT: Game 38 | Columbus at Pittsburgh | 12/27 7PM

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I have yet to see a convincing statistical analysis that would back up this claim

Read the book Scorecasting. There is a definite home ice advantage and the difference is officiating.

Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won

It's not specific to Pittsburgh but there is a statistical analysis behind home field/home ice and the size of the crowd and how vocal the crowd is.

Great book

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Read the book Scorecasting. There is a definite home ice advantage and the difference is officiating.

Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won

It's not specific to Pittsburgh but there is a statistical analysis behind home field/home ice and the size of the crowd and how vocal the crowd is.

Great book

Well, that's quite a bit different, isn't it? I think the assertion before was that they get the calls wherever they go.

I have no doubt that there are advantages to playing at home. Although, 538 had a great article about how those have narrowed over time...at least in regards to travel

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Well, that's quite a bit different, isn't it? I think the assertion before was that they get the calls wherever they go.

I have no doubt that there are advantages to playing at home. Although, 538 had a great article about how those have narrowed over time...at least in regards to travel

Not to spoil the book but the data shows officials in the NHL and NBA make homer calls and the more boisterous the crowd the more biased the officials call the game. Pittsburgh is very loud. Additionally, I have no doubt the NHL has a version of the Jordan rules for Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->