GDT: Game 38 | Columbus at Pittsburgh | 12/27 7PM

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Injuries are going to mount for every team. If Hall or Hischier -- or heaven forbid Schneider goes down for the Devils, they are toast. Same can be said for the Isles, even the Penguins. I actually think we're fine, as long as they can limp through this month our guys will get back and hopefully a break is just what the doctor ordered for a guy like Atkinson.

I think the Caps are a lock. Rangers seem to have found themselves too. Aside from that it's a real dog fight, but I like our chances. Sure we lost two points to these guys in the standings, but it's a long season and they are still 6 back, facing injuries and with nowhere near the depth we have. They are literally counting on three or four players to help them bring a team with an AHL defense back into the running. I like our odds better, even if they did get two points on us in two home games.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Well at least we have a favorable schedule for the coming days/weeks.
Next 11:
@Sens
Vs Lightning
@Stars
@Avalanche
Vs Panthers
@Leafs
@Sabres
Vs Canucks
Vs Stars
@Knights
@Yotes

Not what I’d consider a tough schedule by any stretch of the imagination even with the aforementioned injuries.
I think 7-3-1 is a safe prediction. AT WORST just maybe 6-5
Only one I’m truly nervous about is the Bolts game, possibly the Leafs depending on how things will be going. But other than that, very winnable games.

All in all I like our chances over this stretch, but as we all know too well, it’s a matter of getting the **** done.

Reactions: Sore Loser

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If your goal as a fan is to make the playoffs. Then your post is valid and I won't dispute anything. My goal as a fan, and I assume the majority including yours, is to win the cup. You happy with how they've played this year? Ignore this game, and ignore the injuries currently. As a whole, do you think this team has a chance to win the cup? I don't. Not a shot in hell really.

What lesson was learned from Edmonton? they went out and got blown out by a wider margin a week later. "Learning lessons" is just a players/coaches excuse after a game to give the media. The same as "On to the next one" or "gotta keep our head down and keep fighting." It's just words.

Age is an excuse. This same team mostly made the playoffs and won 16 straight last year. Yeah, Panarin is a big time change as an individual, but the rest of the roster in the important spots is the same damn team. Actually, it should be better given your definition of Seth Jones and him growing year to year. If growth was linear, you would have a point, but it's not, and alot of players aren't moving forwards.

If you think this teams play as a whole this year, and going forward especially until we are healthy, is good enough to warrant being top 5 in the East and 2nd in the Metro, then more power to you. But I disagree completely. I think the injuries are going to make this team play catch up once everyone is back (keep in mind the 4-6 week timetable for everyone is just a generalization. It could be more. It could be less). If this team falls behind the playoff line, especially to a team like Pittsburgh, it's over.

I think we all agree Pittsburgh is going to find a way into the playoffs. Who's going out? My vote, is us due to the injuries. I could also see Jersey falling out in favor of Carolina (or maybe even us), but since they continue to win, I doubt it happens.
Growth might not be linear, but these guys have an opportunity to grow after every game, they watch so much tape, it's up to them to adjust their game and make the right plays.

Josh Anderson is 23, yet he’s played in the NHL for parts of 5 seasons. Using the average age of the team is a poor excuse. I didn’t see the young guys out there blowing coverages tonight.

Torts even said the young age is a poor excuse.
5 seasons and he doesn't even have 2 full seasons worth of games.

If you wanted a better example you should have chosen Jones 5 seasons and 353 games.

My point still stands, even with so many games played Jones has only played in the 1D spot for less than half of his 353 games, the rest of his time he was buried on the 3rd pair

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Well at least we have a favorable schedule for the coming days/weeks.
Next 11:
@Sens
Vs Lightning
@Stars
@Avalanche
Vs Panthers
@Leafs
@Sabres
Vs Canucks
Vs Stars
@Knights
@Yotes

Not what I’d consider a tough schedule by any stretch of the imagination even with the aforementioned injuries.
I think 7-3-1 is a safe prediction. AT WORST just maybe 6-5
Only one I’m truly nervous about is the Bolts game, possibly the Leafs depending on how things will be going. But other than that, very winnable games.

All in all I like our chances over this stretch, but as we all know too well, it’s a matter of getting the **** done.

Lightning? Best team in the league.
Vegas? Second most points in the league.
Stars? Top wildcard spot in the western conference.
Leafs? Two points less than us, 3rd in the Atlantic.

This is definitely a tougher stretch than most are making it out to be. The only definite wins that I see in the next 11 games are FLA and Buffalo. We seem to play awful at Ottawa, not a guaranteed win imo. Yotes games in Arizona are always a shootout (meaning 5-4)... and Buffalo, we barely gutted out a win there the last time we played at Key Bank arena.

Careful with your words, this is definitely not a cakewalk of a stretch over the next 11 games, that you listed.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
After a couple hours to cool off......I'd still strip the C off Foligno's jersey before next game . He's been terrible all season not just tonight . Either give the f***ing C to Jones, who shows up every night and never takes a shift off, or go back to rotating A's without a C like we were doing before naming Clarkson......I mean Foligno Captain. He's a great guy with his foundation, but I'd rather see LeeSmith with a C on his jersey in the stands than 71 keep it.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Hey folks......last night's loss is squarely on Old Guy. It was my fault. Blame me.

I went to church and didn't watch. I look at my phone and the Jackets are leading 2-0. I get out of church and stop at Kroger to pick a up a couple quick things. I get home and the Jackets are leading 3-1 after 2 periods.

I turn the TV on and watch the 3rd period. I thought things were safe when it was 4-2 with 10 minutes to go. Old Guy should know better than to feel safe, smug and satisfied. Had I been smart, I would have come home, kept the television off and just gone about my business.

I'm so sorry......I blew it. I'm old enough to know better. When we get to the end of the season, you can deduct one point from where the Penguins end up and add one point to where the Jackets end up and you can blame me for how this turns out. ........and I have a terrible sinking feeling.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Injuries are going to mount for every team. If Hall or Hischier -- or heaven forbid Schneider goes down for the Devils, they are toast. Same can be said for the Isles, even the Penguins. I actually think we're fine, as long as they can limp through this month our guys will get back and hopefully a break is just what the doctor ordered for a guy like Atkinson.

I think the Caps are a lock. Rangers seem to have found themselves too. Aside from that it's a real dog fight, but I like our chances. Sure we lost two points to these guys in the standings, but it's a long season and they are still 6 back, facing injuries and with nowhere near the depth we have. They are literally counting on three or four players to help them bring a team with an AHL defense back into the running. I like our odds better, even if they did get two points on us in two home games.

Something to keep in mind about the Rangers is they've played 24 home games and only 13 road games. I think this will catch up with them in a big way. Carolina is a team to watch out for - slow start to the season but playing much better of late.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
:D:D
Okay, maybe you weren't happy. But you're accepting. Patchwork lineup or not, you supposedly have the best goalie or one of the best in the game, and you blow it. Milano, Schroeder, Hannikainen, and Harrington didn't commit those game changing penalties and missed assignments that cost us this game, that would be nutivaara, jones, Johnson, savard, and foligno...you know.. the everyday players we rely on.

This team is far from elite even when healthy. My thoughts on the team are well documented
Yes, we all remember you declaring Panarin , not a fit on this team :D. All I’m saying is chill. It’s a long season, and we just need to stay in the thick of things to get healthy . Jarmo is deliberate , but will make the necessary move to boost our scoring. I would like to see Korpi get some starts , he has been really good , aside from a rough start , at the beginning of the season . I do think they need to take the C off Folignos jersey . This is 2 out of 3 seasons, he has been bad . Boone would be the next logical candidate , although to me, he’s been pretty invisible this year . Honestly , I think they will make Werenski the next captain , when it’s all said and done .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I agree that Foligno been playing poorly but that is not a reason to take off the C. To me that decision would rest more with whether his voice no longer resonates with his teammates. Is that everyone’s belief?...I certainly don’t know. I do believe the next captain - should a change be made - should be Seth Jones

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Felt like the team lost 3 times last night.
1)Sh*tting the bed in the 3rd
2)Losing immediately in OT only to be saved by Toronto
3)Shootout

Bob is so mentally weak against the Pens. Pretty much the only team we need him to not be. Honestly, who in here didn't know deep down in their bones that the Jackets would choke and let the Pens come back and win? As soon as Jones went off for the crosscheck and they scored within 5 seconds the writing was on the wall. I was PISSED last night, and stayed off the boards here since nothing good ever comes from posting angry after a bad loss. This morning I don't feel much better about it though.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
After a couple hours to cool off......I'd still strip the C off Foligno's jersey before next game . He's been terrible all season not just tonight . Either give the ****ing C to Jones, who shows up every night and never takes a shift off, or go back to rotating A's without a C like we were doing before naming Clarkson......I mean Foligno Captain. He's a great guy with his foundation, but I'd rather see LeeSmith with a C on his jersey in the stands than 71 keep it.
I don't really agree with stripping his C in the middle of the season (yet) but I have been calling for Jones to get the next letter.

Take the C away from nick in the off-season, Jack walks this off season and then come camp give an A to Jones and then whoever else earns it this season and upcoming off-season.

I don't like the rotating A's, the guys need someone to look to and follow in the room

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I can see why ppl are blaming bob, but last night was almost a total breakdown by some forwards and defensive lapses leading to easy chances. This was a team loss IMO.

Reactions: Lumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->