GDT: Game 38 - CBJ at Washington Caps 27 December 7 PM

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As we began OT I told my GF the Jackets were at a huge disadvantage 3 on 3 based on the top level skill of Wash vs our OT vets who aren’t the best open ice group, especially with who is missing.

Reactions: pete goegan

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jackets seem to forget that puck possession in OT is all that matters. They seem too anxious to get the puck off their stick as soon as they get it and it costs them every time.

Reactions: Robert

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
6-1-3 in last 10.... lost three OT's.... because:

Jarmo must make a trade.... We need a damn scorer!!!!~ Teams know we don't have anyone that score!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That was real nice of Nyquist and the other forward bailing on Werenski there.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
That was real nice of Nyquist and the other forward bailing on Werenski there.
I think Nyquist was making a line change which is why I expected Z to skate around while that occurred.....Can’t remember if Wennberg or PLD was the other.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think Nyquist was making a line change which is why I expected Z to skate around while that occurred.....Can’t remember if Wennberg or PLD was the other.

Yes but they both left Z out to dry. Literally his only plays would be to fling the puck for icing or play to korpisalo. Z should have had more awareness that his teammates were going off for a change, but both forwards shouldn’t have left him at the same time.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I only listened to the game on the radio and then watched the condensed recap so I don’t share the frustration that is seething through the end of this thread.

Of course Korpi deserved better...could say that a few times this year...even during the streak.

Amazing we as a fan base can be so angry about an OT loss on the road to the best team in the league when we’re in the midst of a 6-0-3 streak despite icing a half-NHL half-AHL squad. C’mon, when Robby and Tex have seniority on this squad and count as two of the veterans the roster is seriously outmatched.

Looking forward to the next one Sunday. Let’s get some injured guys back like Sonny and let’s get two vs Chicago and then revenge on Bobs.

Happy Holidays

Last edited:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen us look that bad in OT before.

But if you told me that we’d have three games in December against the Washington Capitals and get five points, I’d have certainly taken it.

Reactions: pete goegan

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Torts has somehow rallied this MASH unit to their best extended stretch of hockey. I think his challenge for this group will be TOI allocation. Last night the Caps took over in the 3rd and OT and I can’t help but wonder if the heavy minutes for some players took its toll. Boone was at 24, Nyquist 22, Jones at 30 and Z at 26 ere a few that jumped out. I suspect Wennberg and Foligno had heavy TOI in the 3rd.

A challenge for Torts will be allocating time smartly to avoid dead legs for the vets he trusts.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Torts has somehow rallied this MASH unit to their best extended stretch of hockey. I think his challenge for this group will be TOI allocation. Last night the Caps took over in the 3rd and OT and I can’t help but wonder if the heavy minutes for some players took its toll. Boone was at 24, Nyquist 22, Jones at 30 and Z at 26 ere a few that jumped out. I suspect Wennberg and Foligno had heavy TOI in the 3rd.

A challenge for Torts will be allocating time smartly to avoid dead legs for the vets he trusts.
Yes in retrospect I’m not terribly pissed anymore. We have a hodgepodge roster so the vets are going to get the brunt of the ice time and with the heavy legs poor decisions occasionally can happen. We took 5 of 6 off the Caps this month and last night was a good road point. I’d certainly have preferred to have gotten the second but shit happens and you’re not going to win all 82.

The kids look good, look hungry. I have no doubt the vets (once they get healthy) will round into form. Korpi has won me over entirely. This season may still be a transitional year, and I still think we need some scoring help and a reliable backup, but I’m not as worried about the future as I was before.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Great observation

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Tom Wilson runs around on the CBJ because nobody stands up to him and gives him any consequences. How many CBJ players has he hurt in the last 3 years?

People have trashed me in the past, and look at some of the defenseman we dress because of injuries anyway.....

Dalton Prout as a 8-9-whatever defenseman stops this.

Clearly, even Foligno himself, must feel there's only so much he can do, as he very rarely makes Wilson answer himself. Guys like Oshie and Ovechkin can and will also deliver NASTY checks that are borderline legal/illegal with no thought if the other player gets injured, and if we're being honest, they most of the time are literally attempting to hurt guys.

We don't even have any guys anymore to really hold these dudes accountable with hard borderline legal checks. We really don't need Jenner or Dubois mixing it up much more physically than they do, as them out of the lineup for 5-10 minutes is not good for the team, god forbid there was an injury to one of the guys.

Also, with or without all the injuries Anderson gets, while he is big and can skate in a straight line quite well, he seems to be able to finish checks the same way he's able to finish prime scoring chances. Either the opposing player makes a small directional change and Anderson misses completely and smashes into the boards, or he clips the guy high and takes a penalty.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Kukan standing there and giving the d-bag a “stern talking to” was flat out embarrassing

What do you want him to do, start a fight and get beat up??

Then you (and others) would call the whole sequence embarrassing...

Anybody who talks about wasting a roster spot on toughness is chastised.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
People have trashed me in the past, and look at some of the defenseman we dress because of injuries anyway.....

Dalton Prout as a 8-9-whatever defenseman stops this.

Clearly, even Foligno himself, must feel there's only so much he can do, as he very rarely makes Wilson answer himself. Guys like Oshie and Ovechkin can and will also deliver NASTY checks that are borderline legal/illegal with no thought if the other player gets injured, and if we're being honest, they most of the time are literally attempting to hurt guys.

We don't even have any guys anymore to really hold these dudes accountable with hard borderline legal checks. We really don't need Jenner or Dubois mixing it up much more physically than they do, as them out of the lineup for 5-10 minutes is not good for the team, god forbid there was an injury to one of the guys.

Also, with or without all the injuries Anderson gets, while he is big and can skate in a straight line quite well, he seems to be able to finish checks the same way he's able to finish prime scoring chances. Either the opposing player makes a small directional change and Anderson misses completely and smashes into the boards, or he clips the guy high and takes a penalty.

I will respect the hell out of whatever organization brings up some lifer AHL tough guy to take Wilson out.

The current system of NHL "justice" is a f***ing joke. It's run to daddy Bettman's DOPS shill and hope everything gets taken care of. If a Tom Wilson/Brad Marchand had someone come up and pummel them/clothesline them immediately after they took liberties with someone, their crap would stop. Either by their own injury or fear of real consequences-not checkbook consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad