Post-Game Talk: GAME #38 - Canucks vs. Flames - April 7, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Mason Raymond ($3.275m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.677m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)
Tom Sestito ($0.666m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
6th Defensman ($1.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.000m)
7th Defensman ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

Roy Fits I mean you could change the pieces around, not have Jensen on the team but the money is there provided you Trade Lou, and trade or buyout booth and ballard

Tanev would probably hold out rather than take a measly 100k raise. That $900k was due to his ELC, but he's going into his first RFA contract. No arbitration = holdouts like RoR. I'd expect $2.5M to $3M for him. Also, Higgins re-signing might signal the end for Raymond in Vancouver, it seemed like an either-or situation to me. If you're giving Roy $5m, there's little flexibility to bring in players outside the absolute core. I still think he walks this summer.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Tanev would probably hold out rather than take a measly 100k raise. That $900k was due to his ELC, but he's going into his first RFA contract. No arbitration = holdouts like RoR. I'd expect $2.5M to $3M for him. Also, Higgins re-signing might signal the end for Raymond in Vancouver, it seemed like an either-or situation to me. If you're giving Roy $5m, there's little flexibility to bring in players outside the absolute core. I still think he walks this summer.

As has been said many times before, Tanev has little leverage for much of a raise in arbitration. He will likely get 1.5-2m. Also if Raymond walk that opens up around 3m to bring in what would be a 3rd line winger. Shouldn't be to tricky.

For the record though, I still think he walks unless we give him the term he wants.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
That's what I just did too, amnestied Booth and Ballard, traded a goalie and what you've got left is $6M to $7M to sign free agents like Raymond with 9 roster spots open.

Don't rely on other posters, look at capgeek yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about. The Canucks situation is tight as it is, let alone trying to re-sign Roy.

Jesus, i am well aware of capgeek and have been for years, he did it with the numbers posted as well, I will look for it so you can critique it.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

You think Tanev is going to be making Subban or Del Zotto money? :amazed:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Tanev would probably hold out rather than take a measly 100k raise. That $900k was due to his ELC, but he's going into his first RFA contract. No arbitration = holdouts like RoR. I'd expect $2.5M to $3M for him.
IMHO, close to zero chance of that happening. Look at the deal that PK Subban got on his "bridge contract". Guys who put up points get the dollars (rightly or wrongly). And Tanev still is 5th in icetime on this team (vs 1st for PK Subban on the Habs last season).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Is it ok to state the Canucks are the hottest team in the west over the last 10? or are people putting astricks on it?

This team is.... good/promising..

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Here was his post

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=63278813&postcount=595

Also why are we assuming we have to buyout booth and ballard? I am sure someone would take them for next to nothing.

Vandermeer? He doesn't have NHL legs anymore. Tanev @ 1.1M? Good luck with that. Basically it means having no real 3rd pairing and using Schroeder in a 4th line role to which he isn't suited. I'm more comfortable with Lapierre.

850K this time for Tanev? He expects him to take a paycut from his ELC? MG would have to acquire McBain from the Hurricanes, he's under contract. Of course, both line-ups are relying on Kassian to fill a top 6 role, which he hasn't been consistent with this season. I'd like to see Torres back, but losing Raymond cuts down on team speed.

Can you contort your line-up to make Roy fit under the cap? Yes. Does it make sense? Not really. I think Roy goes to the East, and the Canucks try to make due with either Schroeder or find a 3C for Malhotra money.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Tanev @ 1.1M? Good luck with that.
Again, PK Subban only got $2.85 million despite putting up points & being #1 in icetime (among blueliners) on the Habs last season. Tanev falls far short on both those categories and will be lucky to get even half that amount on his next contract.

(note: I do think he's been the only guy other than Garrison that has played well overall this season on the blueline).

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Vandermeer? He doesn't have NHL legs anymore. Tanev @ 1.1M? Good luck with that. Basically it means having no real 3rd pairing and using Schroeder in a 4th line role to which he isn't suited. I'm more comfortable with Lapierre.

850K this time for Tanev? He expects him to take a paycut from his ELC? MG would have to acquire McBain from the Hurricanes, he's under contract. Of course, both line-ups are relying on Kassian to fill a top 6 role, which he hasn't been consistent with this season. I'd like to see Torres back, but losing Raymond cuts down on team speed.

Can you contort your line-up to make Roy fit under the cap? Yes. Does it make sense? Not really. I think Roy goes to the East, and the Canucks try to make due with either Schroeder or find a 3C for Malhotra money.

Quoting myself from the Armchair board:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.677m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Tom Sestito ($0.666m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Andrew Ference ($1.800m) / Chris Tanev ($1.750m)
Cam Barker ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
Buyout: Roberto Luongo ($0.000m)
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,949,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,350,500
----

And I'd still like to upgrade that fourth line. Maybe Stalberg will be available.

M A K A V E L I*

Garrison didn't hit any ankles tonight. :(

QBjEg14.jpg

Vancouver Canucks*

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.900m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Mason Raymond ($3.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Chris Tanev ($1.250m) / Insert 2million dollar DMEN HERE ($0.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
Buyout: Roberto Luongo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,939,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,360,833

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks didn't dominate a failed Flames club. Flames generated a ton of chances!

Canucks have nine or ten days to put their playoff team together and get it clicking. They face tougher competition at the end of the schedule, including chicago. If all goes well these games will be good tune-ups.

Some really tidy line-ups on this page.

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks*

I ****ed up :laugh:

Buy out Luongo?
Lines messed up as well.

only allowed 2 buyouts
ballard
booth

probably can be traded for some picks or something

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I honestly thought this was an ok game. Pretty poor defensively but something to build off. At least there was some intensity. Way way WAY too many turn over though. Holy crap. Nice to see more happening off the rush. I love Hansen but he brings down Higgins and Roy offensively at this point IMO. I'd keep it for another game or two then try Kassian there. Like I said I hope the team can continue to build off of this and get on a role.

I agree with this idea. I think you need to give Kassian a shot on that line. Personally, I think he has more offensive talent than Hansen. I think his game would compliment Roy pretty well.

Plus, I think Hansen is naturally the better fit to play with Kesler. I think a line of Raymond-Kesler-Hansen could be an extremely strong two-way line.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Canucks didn't dominate a failed Flames club. Flames generated a ton of chances!

Canucks have nine or ten days to put their playoff team together and get it clicking. They face tougher competition at the end of the schedule, including chicago. If all goes well these games will be good tune-ups.

I watched the entire Flames vs Sharks game last night, and it was pretty much the same story. The Flames are playing relatively well right now, I don't think it was realistic to expect the Canucks to dominate them.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I watched the entire Flames vs Sharks game last night, and it was pretty much the same story. The Flames are playing relatively well right now, I don't think it was realistic to expect the Canucks to dominate them.

Probably auditioning for new jobs (on other teams :naughty:) for the off-season.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Tanev should get about 1.2m. He's not getting paid more than Hansen. He's also trying to get a bridge contract with very modest offensive numbers, lowering cap, and with the threat of a qualifier. He's got nothing for leverage.

If Schroeder doesn't do it for you, find another 4th line C for 800k.

What kind of third pairing was out there today?

Tanev on his qualifier...

It's up in the air if Roy re-signs. If he does though, then I _expect_ the Canucks to contort their line-up in order to keep their best players in house. That means trying to find a way to retain both Booth and Roy. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But they will try, I'm sure of it.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I didn't really see anything wrong with what Roy said about UFA/being a rental. It's been what? 2 games? Come on now. He complimented the city/team a lot in the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad