Post-Game Talk: GAME 38: Canucks def. Blues - 5-1 (Horvat, Gaudette, Leivo, Virtanen, Eriksson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I do have to say that Leivo trade is looking very good.

I'll reserve my judgement until more games are played but so far it definitely looks like positive trade.

It would be pretty hard for that trade to look bad. Hopefully Leivo can keep it up.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Speak for yourself. I always believed and still believe he'll pot 30 this year.

Fabulous - saying that before this year would have you labelled as borderline delusional..........If that was the case you probably thought Guddy was a top 4 Dman too. Which is all fine and dandy - I'm a Jake fan but I certainly would not have predicted him for 30 this year......

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I do have to say that Leivo trade is looking very good.

I'll reserve my judgement until more games are played but so far it definitely looks like positive trade.

Carcone has been a healthy scratch w. Marlies.

Hows this even a debate still that this was a good trade

Reactions: Zippgunn

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Carcone has been a healthy scratch w. Marlies.

Hows this even a debate still that this was a good trade

Where did I say I'm gonna debate whether this is a good trade? I said the trade is looking very good.

I'm holding my judgement, and that's my personal opinion, I want to see Leivo do this in more games. But if someone says holy this is a great trade, I'm not gonna argue against it.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Fabulous - saying that before this year would have you labelled as borderline delusional..........If that was the case you probably thought Guddy was a top 4 Dman too. Which is all fine and dandy - I'm a Jake fan but I certainly would not have predicted him for 30 this year......

What is a top 4 dman exactly? Tonight he had the highest ice time among defensemen, almost 24 minutes and looked good in a convincing 5-1 victory over a team that was expected to be a cup contender before the season. I'd be lying if I said I don't think Gudbranson can still be a top pairing defenseman with the right partner because I think he has shown that ability when healthy.

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
There was absolutely no emotion in this game. The Blues have given up on the season, they don’t care enough to start ****. I was far from worried.

It's not my primary concern, but neither was Matheson or Martel.

I thought they didn't look up to their usual magical selves tonight, and Virtanen had a better game. Horvat's line would have been my first choice, but look at overall ice time, players that played well, and in this case weren't our best, got a few shifts tacked on at the end. Edler and Tanev weren't our biggest minute defensemen either. My guess is that our best players had their shifts widdled down as our lead grew to prevent injury and recover strength before Winnipeg Saturday. Not risking anyone valuable with unnecessary shifts in a blow out game before what is likely to be a harder, more physical and more emotional game is fine by me.

Using an example of a player taking a cheap shot is an extreme example, but could you imagine a dislocation or a sprain from uneven ice or from landing funny from a legal hit? They didn't earn the ice time is my view, but I could also see it being a hypersensitive response from last game.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
We're at .500 with a -7.00 goal differential. Baby steps.

Next up Winnipeg. EMOTION! Possible annihilation.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Solid effort, nice win against a bad team. Boeser & Pettersson are not clicking 5 on 5, the points they have generated over the past couple of games have come on the power play, it might be time to split them up. Boeser has had success with Horvat why not go back to that?

Goldobin-Pettersson-Virtanen/Leivo
Eriksson/Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Boeser was not noticable tnt

How many nights have people said that. If he’s not scoring he doesn’t do anything else. NOTHING.

Remember that hit he threw? The great pass he made? That badkcheck to breakup a play?

He’s only good at shooting the puck. If that dries up, he provides nothing else.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How many nights have people said that. If he’s not scoring he doesn’t do anything else. NOTHING.

Remember that hit he threw? The great pass he made? That badkcheck to breakup a play?

He’s only good at shooting the puck. If that dries up, he provides nothing else.

We said those things last year though, which makes me hold out hope that with a full off-season next year he can get back to that. But I mean, even still, scoring goals is still the most valuable thing a player can do, and he does it at a high level. If he does nothing else, so be it.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Man, the commentators always have so much disrespect for those sharp angle goals as if they're all meant to be stopped at all times. Like it's still gotta be a precise shot to beat a goaltender at the post and Leivo nailed it. Still real happy with that trade.

Gaudette looking hungry. I suspect he'll remember that toe save for a while. He'll get the puck up next time on an open net.

Seems like Loui had a great game. Should calm down the Loui haters for a while. Say what you want about his contract or lack of goals, but he's working hard and it's paying off. Solid PK'ing and the Virtanen goal doesn't happen without him.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Disagree. He has very good vision.

And him being a threat out thete creates soo much more space for Ep40 as well as for Horvat on the PP.

Good example of Horvat's goal tnt. PK coverage was harsh shading to Boeser... allowed a cross ice pass from EP40 to Horvat without anyone touching Horvat.

Boeser also dorsnt.float which is huge. +6 and isnt a liability.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Boeser needs linemates to forecheck and feed him the puck and works well with Horvat because of this. Boeser’s a floater that can snipe. Pettersson needs high skilled wingers that forecheck and create plays.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Happy to see Gaudette get rewarded with a nice greasy goal. He’s had some beautiful chances that he’s been robbed on, so to see him will the puck to the net and over the line was gratifying.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Man, we should play these guys all the time. Nice when other team has a crappy goaltender.

Good

Horvat - glad we don't have to play against this player.

Edler - playing big and a little mean

Tanev - upper level d-man when he is on his game like he is now

Virtanen - is making the right play so much more often. Coming into his own as legit player at this level and showing he can think with the puck on his stick.

Markstrom - providing good NHL goaltending. Do the Canucks really need to pursue a supposed elite goaltender in the off season??? Markstrom looks pretty near to that this season.

Gudbranson - alternates b/w good and bad games. He is always likely to make a couple of coverage areas mistakes but I thought he was on the good side of the ledger in this one. One player that was moving people off the puck and taking people right out of the play. Strong on some crucial early PKs

In spite of score there were some poor performances in this game (lots of times when Blues did dominate and couldn't get the puck by Markstrom). These included:

Boeser - lugged badly in this game and mishandled the puck way too much. Seems to me that Boeser is going to need to have a thorough off season training regimen to get weight down (and he looks like a type that may have to worry about weight) and get in top end playing shape. Right now he is, in spite of getting some points, struggling

Pouliot - whatever ... just flat out not good enough.

Others

Gaudette - nice that he scored but he got schooled on the only goal against. Play in his own end was shaky

Levio - IMO not enough in the play. Just MIA for too much of the time. Can make a play here and there but overall he doesn't do much.

Pettersson - needs to get a second wind. Struggling with the size and strength of NHL players again. But he can make the magical play to turn a game around.

Hutton - like a few others I think the amount of playing time and the schedule is catching up with him. Didn't have much jump in this game.

Goldobin - could easily see where some would question his performance in this game. Did like the way he tried to stay hard on his check.

Eriksson - playing well on the defensive side of the puck and is getting offensive chances. If he was making 1.5 to 2.0 you'd be OK with how he is playing.

Canucks beat the Jets next game and I think you have to call them playoff contenders.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Settle down valky I was making a joke not trying to start a 50 page debate

You guys steered the conversation that way, not me.

Man it's Gillis' fault that JV likes to play video games! #FireGillis
U7Ghu2s.gif

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Dahlen for Burrows and Goldobin plus a pick for Hansen. Granlund for Shinkaruk and Baer for a second. Recently Leivo for Carcone.

If you aren’t wearing blinders those are all wins easily without the name Jim Benning attached to it.

Tell me, where did I discount those trades or say they are bad? I criticize Benning like crazy yet I always regarded Dhalen Goldobin and Baer as good trades. Heck even the Granlund trade I'm starting to come around.

Gillis brought in a player who looks like a 65 - 70 point solid 1/2C who will likely become our next captain.

Any of the others close to that?

I merely expressed how good I think the Leivo trade looks, and will likely look down the line, and you guys start to jump in armed and ready to fight a non-existing "attack" from an imaginary enemy. Heh, why am I not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad