GDT: Game 38: Avs @ Golden Knights | 8 PM MT | December 27, 2018 | Operation: Knightfall

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Unfortunatly he has been usless everywhere. That is the sad truth. 4th line minutes are zero pressure minutes. Maybe he can find his game there. And yes, he should be in the AHL for his own sake. But that is most likely not going to happen.
He's not going to find his game playing with Bourque on the 4th line. Maybe he could get involved with some plays with Mack and Rantanen. Actually do something, and gain some confidence.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
He's not going to find his game playing with Bourque on the 4th line. Maybe he could get involved with some plays with Mack and Rantanen. Actually do something, and gain some confidence.
Normally I would be the first to agree with you here because I like Jost a lot and think in the beginning of the season he showed a bit why I like him so much. Unfortunately with the way he's currently playing putting him on the first line would possibly hurt his already problematic development even more. It also would hurt the whole team.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
If the top line is being broken up, I think they moved the wrong top line player to another line. Why?

The top line is still going to get the toughest matchups, but will now have a weak point in Nieto and have an even harder time scoring goals. Landy moving down won't make the second line good enough up for the harder time the first line is going to have. Also, moving Mack or Rants down to the second line would force teams to choose which elite player they want to focus on more (ie: Crosby/Malkin). Moving Landy doesn't force other teams to change their tactics and take their best players off either one of Mack or Rantenen.

And for the love of all that is holy, let Soda play in the top 6 for a while.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Normally I would be the first to agree with you here because I like Jost a lot and think in the beginning of the season he showed a bit why I like him so much. Unfortunately with the way he's currently playing putting him on the first line would possibly hurt his already problematic development even more. It also would hurt the whole team.
I don't think he can do any worse than Nieto will. There's more to gain than to be lost. Putting him on the 4th line is just a waste of time. Might as well send him down to play top minutes

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
As bad as jost has been, id still prefer to try him over nieto. I understand he certainly hasnt earned it, but i think it would be a good confidence booster if hes there for a few games. By accident, players should be able to put up some points on a line with mack and rants. Also wouldnt surprise me if this breakup doesnt even last a full game. Big line will be back together sooner or later

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
As bad as jost has been, id still prefer to try him over nieto. I understand he certainly hasnt earned it, but i think it would be a good confidence booster if hes there for a few games. By accident, players should be able to put up some points on a line with mack and rants. Also wouldnt surprise me if this breakup doesnt even last a full game. Big line will be back together sooner or later
I'm more worried about Landeskogs production falling off a cliff. He plays a huge and underrated role on that line. I'd rather move Rantanen down. Or have MacKinnon center Compher and Kerfoot.

I really have no idea. The top line has been the only stable part of this team all season.

Reactions: klozge

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Tyson Jost sucks. Flat out stinks. He's killing plays and doing nothing on the SECOND line, what the hell do people think he'll accomplish with MacKinnon/Rantanen? He'll just frustrate them with how much he kills plays and is too slow on the forecheck.

At this point, I don't even want Jost on the 4th line.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Tyson Jost sucks. Flat out stinks. He's killing plays and doing nothing on the SECOND line, what the hell do people think he'll accomplish with MacKinnon/Rantanen? He'll just frustrate them with how much he kills plays and is too slow on the forecheck.

I don't mean to single you out at all, I just think your post is one example of people zeroing in too deeply on individual players when it looks to me like they've just being outcoached and outlucked during this stretch. The team's offensive zone entries suck (Jost is part of this problem along with many others) .... Their ability to deal with aggressive forechecking sucks ... Their powerplay setup sucks superlatively (how many times are we going to get burned on that drop pass before a change is made?) ... Their shooting percentage in December was half of what it was in November. What I don't understand is how Bednar's most noticeable response to this is breaking up line 1, but I'm prepared to eat my words if it works.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Believe it or not, Nieto and MacKinnon actually have shown some good chemistry the few times they've been paired up. I don't think this is a just-throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks sort of thing. Bednar had to do SOMETHING, and I think there's some method to his madness. Not saying it'll work but at least he's trying something after trying the same thing for 9-plus games clearly didn't.

The even-bigger challenge is to try and figure out what in hell has gone wrong with this defensive corps. I'm not too worried about Sammy, I think the guy is just burned out a little, way too much is being asked of him. It's the play of Barrie and especially EJ that are really concerning to me.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

He doesn't "suck", and the team is clearly commited to him. Putting him in a position to be successful makes more sense to me than putting Nieto on the top line.

Jost is a first round pick. Him figuring out his game, is important to the team. I agree though, he has been absolutely terrible and I would personally send him down before I just put him back on the 4th line to do nothing. Might aswell try him with the big guns, it's not like Nieto is going to be an amazing top line winger all of sudden.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Believe it or not, Nieto and MacKinnon actually have shown some good chemistry the few times they've been paired up. I don't think this is a just-throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks sort of thing. Bednar had to do SOMETHING, and I think there's some method to his madness. Not saying it'll work but at least he's trying something after trying the same thing for 9-plus games clearly didn't.

The even-bigger challenge is to try and figure out what in hell has gone wrong with this defensive corps. I'm not too worried about Sammy, I think the guy is just burned out a little, way too much is being asked of him. It's the play of Barrie and especially EJ that are really concerning to me.
Nieto had a nice tap in goal a while back

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Ghetto had chemistry with Mack and Rantanen.

I would have prefered him or Kerfoot on the top line. And Soda on the 2nd.

Ghetto-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Soda-Compher
Calvert-Kerfoot-Nieto
Greer-Jost-Dries

Reactions: MacBradley

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
^ if we're really breaking apart line1, above post gets it AFAIC
Kerfoot - MacKinnon - Compher
Landeskog - Soderberg - Rantanen
Neito - Jost - Andrighetto
Calvert - Dries - Greer

Wilson + Kamenev out = yikes

Reactions: AvsFan29

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
True. He wasn't good in the second half of a home/road back to back where they travelled overnight and he didn't know he was starting until the day of the game. If you want to put that on him and not the coaching staff then that's fine but it doesn't change the fact that he has been really good in his other three most recent starts.

The Avs system, goalie coach, and western conference schedule is very new to him so it's not surprising it took time for him to adjust. It remains to be seen if he can keep it up consistently but so far so good recently.
I'm not saying he hasn't been playing better as of late. But those some like a bunch of excuses to me. Goalies all around the league play back to backs no problem. Hell I've seen Varly do it much better. He played a shit game that night. And it shouldn't be conveniently left out of arguments.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not saying he hasn't been playing better as of late. But those some like a bunch of excuses to me. Goalies all around the league play back to backs no problem. Hell I've seen Varly do it much better. He played a **** game that night. And it shouldn't be conveniently left out of arguments.

Goes both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad