GDT: Game 38: Arizona Coyotes @ Anaheim Ducks | 12/29/18 8:00 p.m. MST | FS-A

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schmaltz is much much better than I expected. He's going to be expensive.
He got 52pts. last year in Chicago, so he's no slouch. One of the reasons he was traded, so they say, was because of salary demands from the Schmaltz camp. Let's see where it goes.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think Garland is rubbing off on them. He has the speed, hands and determination.
Are you serious?
He's been a nice minor league call up but he's another Chyka player. Small , fast , finesse and can play with no cup.
I know Nasher seems to love him but I don't see what he's seen so far. I think he's buttering him up a bit.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Are you serious?
He's been a nice minor league call up but he's another Chyka player. Small , fast , finesse and can play with no cup.
I know Nasher seems to love him but I don't see what he's seen so far. I think he's buttering him up a bit.

No offense, but I’d take nashers assessment and analysis over yours any day of the week. It’s what he does.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Are you serious?
The NHL is all about speed now. Physical players that hit more, have more hits sometimes because they are chasing the play. First to the puck and puck movers are most important now. Garland is hard on the puck, we need that, along with his good hands. I would rather have players that can battle for the puck rather than getting there late and completing a check. Bigger slower guys are going away just like big stay at home D.

Reactions: MIG

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are you serious?
No cup? I think he plays with more cup than most of our team. He wins board battles all the time. He goes to the net, seems to have no fear. He is a very smart and shifty player. Will it last? Who knows.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The NHL is all about speed now. Physical players that hit more, have more hits sometimes because they are chasing the play. First to the puck and puck movers are most important now. Garland is hard on the puck, we need that, along with his good hands. I would rather have players that can battle for the puck rather than getting there late and completing a check. Bigger slower guys are going away just like big stay at home D.
It's not only about speed. Cousins, Kempe and Archibald have speed. You need speed AND talent, and you still need a good physical presence on your team, especially in the playoffs.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This team is well coached.
RT is rubbing off on them.
Yes we lack real high end talent to do anything.
But the team finally plays inside the perimeter and scraps for the puck.
That's very encouraging. I cant stand the way they played at the beginning of the season when everyone was talking about "all those shots on net".
We wont sniff the playoffs this year but RT has those younger guys understanding what it takes to play this game.
I agree, despite the many who have turned on RT of late, I've been steadily going in the opposite direction for just over a year now.

Reactions: azcanuck

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Are you serious?
LOL and here we disagree. Garland has not shown any hesitancy to do what it takes, imo.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's not only about speed. Cousins, Kempe and Archibald have speed. You need speed AND talent, and you still need a good physical presence on your team, especially in the playoffs.
Garland has more skill than kempe/archibald, you need that too. Lets get to the playoffs first before we worry about physical presence being a problem.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Seem to recall the biggest gripe about Garland when he first arrived was his inability to utilize his line mates and constantly skating around with the puck until he turned it over.

Don’t see any of that now.

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So, we lose to the Kings but win to the Ducks. Explain the Coyotes to me

The worst team in the league can beat the best team in the league on any given day. It's that way in most pro sports because the difference in skill level between the top and the bottom is not that significant, and also because it's a team game, mental prep matters, as does puck luck sometimes.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So say Grabner comes back mid January, who gets sent down? It shouldn’t be Garland. He’s earned a spot until he loses it. He’s one of our most furocious players
When Richardson gets in the lineup then Kempe goes down. Then Grabner sends Archibald up to the press box.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So say Grabner comes back mid January, who gets sent down? It shouldn’t be Garland. He’s earned a spot until he loses it. He’s one of our most furocious players

FURocious...I like it. :wg:

Coyote.jpg

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
From a pure point production standpoint, Kempe is our least effective forward.

Zh8uvDW.png

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
There can’t possibly be another team in the league with only three players at greater than half a point per game, right?

The Kings and the Canes have both scored fewer goals, but you are right. Canes have 4 players over 0.5 P/GP, and the Kings have 5.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As for Kempe, EV PTS/60 would probably tell a more convincing story than straight point per game. Though neither is terribly relevant given his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad