Post-Game Talk: Game 38 - A FESTIVUS MIRACLE - BRUINS 7 Washington 3 F

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yeah and if Tim Thomas doesn't play one of the great playoff series then the Big Bad Bruins don't win the Cup in 2011, not even close. Stellar goaltending is one of the requirements of most Cup runs. You think Andersen and Bobrovsky were just hanging around? They were both excellent. It took quality offense to beat them. The Canes got poor service from their goalies against us and that's one of the reasons we dispatched them so easily.

So what's your point?

Just what I said. Rask carried them last year and
Rask/Halak have carried them this year. They
are 2 quality forwards from having a realistic
shot at getting out of the Conf.
That's not an easy get for Sweeney.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Point on Rask still stands. G 7 against Leafs
they got 2 EN goals in large part because Rask
was a wall in G7. Rask outplayed Bobrovsky and went beast mode against Carolina. Easily most important
player of run.
He was just wish he played lights out in finals Game 7 or last 5 minutes of game 6 in 2013.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Just what I said. Rask carried them last year and
Rask/Halak have carried them this year. They
are 2 quality forwards from having a realistic
shot at getting out of the Conf.
That's not an easy get for Sweeney.
no way. one top 6 foward is all they need. caps will be tough to beat. but they have to come out of a tough division. atlantic division is wildly overrated. especially tampa.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I’ve seen nothing that indicates it’s gonna change moving forward, but I could understand Cassidy going 100% all-out for a win in that game, considering the Bruins needed it so bad.

I’d like to think self-respect and self-preservation will quickly return to having some consideration, but as I said, there’s not much to indicate that.

A star player or a guy like Nordy going through the motions of a physical response just doesn’t move the needle.

We’ve heard from everyone...even Dupes that “the enforcer ain’t coming back,” and while that’s obvious league wide...the Bruins look like a team that would be a perfect fit to be the exception.

Playing some knuckle-dragger on the 4th when needed wouldn’t kill this team.

And most importantly, with a true enforcer you could make his roll crystal clear. No reluctant or confused guys like Ritchie.

Just a genuinely tough and intimidating dude with no qualms about delivering a just response.

Ehh, it’s clear from Rinaldo and then Ritchie that DS is lost in the woods on this one...it’s really not that hard. Kind of amazing.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
If this were the 2011 Bruins, frauds like Hathaway, Wilson and especially Oshie would be picking their teeth off the ice and handing over their lunch money for the next decade.

Sigh.

Reactions: BMC and Oates2Neely

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ilike some of what your saying but I'm ok with Heinen. The idea of bringing some sand paper up from Providence is a good idea and seeing either of Ritchie or Lindhom out of the lineup would be addition by subtraction!
The way to beat teams like Washington and St Louis is quick puck movement because those head hunters can't hit (legally) when the player doesn't have the puck which results in a PP which the B's have been pretty good at. I find the B's hold the puck to long and try fancy moves that usually results in a good hammering.
If every Bruind was told that at the end of every game they had to have made one hit on the game sheet or they would sit , this team would be much tougher to play against and probably be considered in the same vein as Washington and St Louis but way too many fly bys and as Stevie Yzerman calls them Poke and Hopes.
I must say last night the were a little better at clearing their zone, I wonder if Chara being out helped in that area?
Fenian24 was bang on with his Heinen comments.

Bruins would be well advised to stop carrying this kid.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I agree. But in this era of the game, adding those bone crunching guys is hard if you want to add talent as well.

We tried with Beleskey. Didn’t work and Sweeney gets ridiculed around here for outcome.

Backes? See above. Rinse, repeat.
Rinaldo? Management crucified for that.
Wagner was added. Largely a success.
Drafted Frederick. Not ready.
EDIT......should have included Ritchie in this. Sweeney gets ragged on for adding a scrub, but we all know WHY he took a chance. Apparently adding a useful player that is supposed to play tough isn’t all that easy.

Every team in League would want Wilson. Even more so if he wasn’t psychologically unbalanced.

People talk about Anderson and Ferland. So far they’ve gone nowhere.

So fine. We need to be tougher. Someone please give me realistic solutions. Emphasis on realistic.

Please. I’m open to getting tougher while still being able to score some goals.

Should we trade Carlo for a tougher stay at home D? Pasta for Wilson plus? What?
I agree they need to draft players with that edge.

I personally wouldn’t mind a Cory Perry (1.5m) & a Brian Boyle (900k) on this roster over Lindholm & Ritchie. Both guys signed over the 2019 summer

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

I miss Darth Quaider

I thought Bruins did a mistake trading him.... i still beleive the same. He was more than a tough hombre, he was a very good bottom pairing d, good pk guy but mostly, he was a great teamate and a glue guy who was adding ALL Boston player an inch and 10 pounds .
I don’t know how his actual health goes now thought.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I thought Bruins did a mistake trading him.... i still beleive the same. He was more than a tough hombre, he was a very good bottom pairing d, good pk guy but mostly, he was a great teamate and a glue guy who was adding ALL Boston player an inch and 10 pounds .
'Bruins' player through and through... Too bad about his health problems though.

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i miss Quaider a lot, but trading him was the right thing to do. He's played 88 games over the last 2.5 seasons and is almost certainly done. The mistake the front office made is in not adequately replacing him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad