GDT: Game 37: Ducks @ Sabres - 12/22 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Game Preview: 12/22/18 vs. Anaheim

Source: SabresDigitalPressBox.com

LAST GAME
Friday, December 21
Buffalo 1 at Washington 2
Goals: Larsson
Goalie: Hutton (22 saves/24 shots)
PP: 0/4; PK: 4/4; Shots: Buffalo 37 – Washington 24

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 143)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 36 games
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 7 games
Nathan Beaulieu (lower body, Dec. 16) – 3 games
Jason Pominville (undisclosed, Dec. 21; injured reserve) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/16: Recalled D Brendan Guhle from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Lawrence Pilut on IR
12/17: Assigned D Matt Tennyson to Rochester (AHL)
12/19: Placed F Patrik Berglund on unconditional waivers with intent to terminate his contract
12/21: Activated D Jake McCabe and D Lawrence Pilut from IR; Placed F Jason Pominville on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Dec. 27: Buffalo at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 29: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 31: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 6 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 5: Buffalo at Boston, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
DUCKS at SABRES

• This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Ducks this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Anaheim 4-2 in Anaheim on Oct. 21
  • The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Ducks; 5-4-1 at home.
  • This is the 38th game all-time between Buffalo and Anaheim; Buffalo has an 19-14-4 series record.
  • The Sabres are 8-6-4 at home against the Ducks all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
  • The Sabres are 7-11-3 all-time on December 22.
  • December 22, 1974: Don Luce scores two shorthanded goals and an even strength goal in a span of 3:49 in a 4-0 win at Washington. Luce also picked up an assist on the other Buffalo goal.
  • December 22, 1977: Rene Robert scores the 2,000th goal in franchise history in a 4-2 win at Chicago.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
  • The road team has won the last five games between these teams. The Sabres last home victory over the Ducks was a 3-0 win on Dec. 17, 2015.
  • If he dresses tonight, Remi Elie will appear in his 100th NHL game.
  • Kyle Okposo has totaled 12 points (6+6) in 11 career games against Anaheim, including at least a point in each of the last four.
  • Jeff Skinner has recorded 10 points (6+4) in his last eight games against the Ducks, including at least a point in each of the last six.
  • Sam Reinhart has totaled seven points (1+6) in his last seven games against Anaheim.
  • Jack Eichel has six points (2+4) in seven career games against the Ducks.
  • Zemgus Girgensons has tallied a point in each of his last two meetings with Anaheim (1+1).

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
This could be a rough one with how they are going.

If we lose tonight, I start to worry a little more about our place in the standings. Other teams are gaining.

They really need to call someone up. Not just plug Elie in and call it a day.

Reactions: Fearnot

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
My first live game of the season. Im on a tremendous losing streak, I dont know the exact number but my last live win was April 2011 in the playoffs vs the Flyers.

Many, many consecutive losses to the Pens and Flyers on that list.

Sorry everyone.

Reactions: onionsack

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York

If we lose tonight, I start to worry a little more about our place in the standings. Other teams are gaining.

They set up some imaginary date that they'll do call ups for the second half of the season instead of as needed.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My first live game of the season. Im on a tremendous losing streak, I dont know the exact number but my last live win was April 2011 in the playoffs vs the Flyers.

Many, many consecutive losses to the Pens and Flyers on that list.

Sorry everyone.

I’m 3-3 this season going to games. I’ll be at this one too. So hopefully we both can turn the tide and see a win tonight! :5:

Reactions: CrazyPsycho

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Anaheim always seems to have an interesting roster. They make a lot of low-key moves and draft really well, so there’s always new players to look out for. They even sent down Max Comtois who put up 7 in 10 to fill in during their run of injuries, burning off a year of his ELC.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
While I get the sentiment of less Elie, more Olofsson/Smith/Nylander... I also think plucking a young guy from the farm with little to no NHL experience to try and spark a completely ineffective NHL middle six isn't exactly a good recipe. We want to put these guys in the best positions to succeed, not just throw them in because nothing else is working. That's basically what we did with Mittelstadt and Thompson and while both have been a bit improved from earlier this year... they weren't the answer. I fail to see why people think continuing to do that will magically fix anything.

If we're going to do anything, bring in some proven talent short term (or just make due with what we have) and funnel the guys from the farm in organically when injuries hit... the forward group has been surprisingly healthy this year. Then evaluate who stays and who goes in the offseason

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The AHL callup should come simultaneously with us adding a youngish C or placeholder veteran that is better than Mittelstadt/Sobotka.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Has ECT been used on fading hockey veterans? Thinking they might need a factory reset if concussions/wear and tear has slowed them down.
If Okposo/Pominville/Sobotka suddenly looks better - check their hairstyles. Could be that I’ve inspired some drastic measures.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

But then Botterill would have to do something mid season.

Reactions: SundherDome

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While I get the sentiment of less Elie, more Olofsson/Smith/Nylander... I also think plucking a young guy from the farm with little to no NHL experience to try and spark a completely ineffective NHL middle six isn't exactly a good recipe. We want to put these guys in the best positions to succeed, not just throw them in because nothing else is working. That's basically what we did with Mittelstadt and Thompson and while both have been a bit improved from earlier this year... they weren't the answer. I fail to see why people think continuing to do that will magically fix anything.

If we're going to do anything, bring in some proven talent short term (or just make due with what we have) and funnel the guys from the farm in organically when injuries hit... the forward group has been surprisingly healthy this year. Then evaluate who stays and who goes in the offseason

Finding combos that work though shouldn't preclude giving someone a call-up however. In the current lineup, Okposo has had some decent games with no finish. Sheary's last game was energetic and created chances. Rodrigues has too. Plugging someone in with two of those three isn't that bad of an option to try to capitalize on youthful exuberance and energy. Injury has struck with Poms being out and Berglund taking the piss, so why not dip into the depth to see if they can get something going? What is the fear?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

A stint in the NHL isn't going to traumatize these guys for life.

You call one up and see what works. If they play well, great keep them up. If they're ineffective send em back down. It's not that complicated.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Finding combos that work though shouldn't preclude giving someone a call-up however. In the current lineup, Okposo has had some decent games with no finish. Sheary's last game was energetic and created chances. Rodrigues has too. Plugging someone in with two of those three isn't that bad of an option to try to capitalize on youthful exuberance and energy. Injury has struck with Poms being out and Berglund taking the piss, so why not dip into the depth to see if they can get something going? What is the fear?

Speaking of finding combos that work, I liked Tage with Gus & Johan yesterday, that combo has been consistently good with effort & tenacity, but they certainly lack the skill level that Tage brings to the table.

Reactions: Chainshot

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Well said.Smith and oloffson both playing well and they are 23 not kids.Nylander in my opinion will be better with more talent and i still haven't given up on Bailey that size which we lack so rely and skating still has me intrigued

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Speaking of finding combos that work, I liked Tage with Gus & Johan yesterday, that combo has been consistently good with effort & tenacity, but they certainly lack the skill level that Tage brings to the table.

I’ve really liked TT with those two. He’s getting a lot better on the defensive side of the puck. Stripping guys and breaking up plays with his long reach.

The issue is the gooseegg gang of Okposo, Sobotka, Mitts and Sheary.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Ducks are another team you don't want to go down by 1 against. They hold a lead well. At least from what I've seen. Secondary depth scoring with be the Achilles heal of this team if they can't get it going.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
A stint in the NHL isn't going to traumatize these guys for life.

You call one up and see what works. If they play well, great keep them up. If they're ineffective send em back down. It's not that complicated.
Don't think I said anything about anyone being traumatized... I just think there's a "grass is greener" thing happening where people get themselves in a tizzy thinking about how great things would be if Nylander/Olofsson/Smith were up instead of Okposo/Sobotka/Thompson or whatever. When in all likelihood they'd probably be pretty underwhelming because they're unproven, untested in the NHL and being dropped into an ice cold middle six situation.

And that's not even getting into the fact I can't remember the last time they scratched a vet or someone considered a roster player/core piece for a callup "just for funsies" while technically in a playoff spot. So it's a pretty unrealistic proposition to boot and not worth getting too fussed over. Injuries tend to create similar situations naturally over the course of a season anyways.

EDIT: We gotta stop pretending these guys are going to pop in the NHL and immediately score 40-50-60 points, ala Mitts this past offseason... especially if we're constantly stacking the odds against them. Can't believe I have to be the "pessimistic voice of reason" on this one. :laugh:

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Don't think I said anything about anyone being traumatized... I just think there's a "grass is greener" thing happening where people get themselves in a tizzy thinking about how great things would be if Nylander/Olofsson/Smith were up instead of Okposo/Sobotka/Thompson or whatever. When in all likelihood they'd probably be pretty underwhelming because they're unproven, untested in the NHL and being dropped into an ice cold middle six situation.

And that's not even getting into the fact I can't remember the last time they scratched a vet or someone considered a roster player/core piece for a callup "just for funsies" while technically in a playoff spot. So it's a pretty unrealistic proposition to boot and not worth getting too fussed over. Injuries tend to create similar situations naturally over the course of a season anyways.

EDIT: We gotta stop pretending these guys are going to pop in the NHL and immediately score 40-50-60 points, ala Mitts this past offseason... especially if we're constantly stacking the odds against them. Can't believe I have to be the "pessimistic voice of reason" on this one. :laugh:
Getting rid of the really slow guys could help us counter attack. I think Pilut/Risto/Dahlin can provide some really good passes but Okposo/Sobotoka/Pominville etc aren't going to convert much on the rush. I'd be ok with sending Mittelstadt and Thompson down and bringing some fresh guys up. Especially if we get a new C from a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->