HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
C0sD1sIVQAAOZgK.jpg:large

oaWnzHB.jpg

9FTl8Ao.jpg

nationwidearenadistrict05.jpg

The Columbus Blue Jackets have handled some of the league's best teams with ease as they've climbed to the top of the NHL standings.

They just haven't found a way to solve the Boston Bruins.

Columbus comes out of the Christmas break looking to extend the longest winning streak in franchise history and claim its first victory in three tries over Boston on Tuesday night when the teams meet for the final time in the regular season.

Victories in 12 straight games placed Columbus (23-5-4) into first place overall, one point ahead of the Chicago Blackhawks, heading into the break. The Blue Jackets haven't lost since falling to the Florida Panthers in a shootout on Nov. 26 and have outscored the opposition 46-18 during their winning streak.

But the team hasn't had an answer for Boston (18-14-4), currently third in the Atlantic Division.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/1647237/

Tonight's Officials

Referees Kelly Sutherland (11), Jean Hebert (15)

Linesmen David Brisebois (96), Mark Shewchyk (92)

Ntl. Anthem Leo Welsh

WAYBACK MACHINE

BOSTON vs COLUMBUS, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Blue Jackets are meeting for the 24th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 15-6-0-2 record and 76-56 scoring advantage in those games.

The Bruins are 8-2-0-2 in their 12 road games of this lifetime series with a 43-29 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins are 4-1-0 in their last 5 games vs. the Blue Jackets, including wins in the 1st 2 games of this season’s series with a 6-3 win in Columbus on 10/13 and 5-2 victory in Boston on 11/10 and they are now 10-3-0 in the last 13 games overall of this lifetime series …

They are 6-1-0 in their last 7 visits to Nationwide Arena

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins visit the Blue Jackets tonight in the 3rd and final game between these teams and the 2nd of 2 of this season’s series at Nationwide Arena … The Bruins are 18-14-4 thus far this season with a 10-5-4 mark on the road … They are 4-3-4 vs. Metropolitan
Division opponents and are 13-8-4 vs. Eastern Conference teams this season.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Jimmy Hayes is 2 points short of his 100th NHL point.
Dominic Moore is 3 goals shy of his 100th NHL goal.

INJURIES (98 total man-games lost)

Matt Beleskey – Right knee; 6 wks from time of 12/3 injury; Has missed 11 games (IR)
John-Michael Liles – Concussion; Has missed 14 games (IR)

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20162017/[email protected]?1482806983000

Last edited:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Will be happy if we get a point unless we have a mumti goal lead and blow it again.

Hopefully Pasta is in the goal collumn again last thing we need is him cooling off but hes had literally 3 posts that should have been goals.

Lets goooo

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
We're toast.

Maybe not.

I dunno.

Thats the thing.

You dont know which team is going to show up on either side when these two teams battle it out. IIRC, the most recent time these two teams played, Columbus was on a lesser win streak than they are currently and the Bruins won. So well see how it goes..

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
One of those barns I`d like to check out a game live at.

I haven`t a clue what`s going to happen tonight, B`s come out flat, overdosed on tryptophan or they stayed away from too much Turkey and roll the Jackets

Either way, I`m watching while covering my eyes a bit

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
They seem to have put up their best efforts this season against the top teams. Another similar effort tonight would be terrific. They need one sustained run at some point, much like the Jackets and a couple of other teams have done recently. Could make all the difference to their fate this season.

Let's Go Bruins!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My fear for tonight is the Bruins body clocks will be screwed up as they had to get up early for an 8 AM flight out of Hanscom. Columbus will have their normal home routine.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
My fear for tonight is the Bruins body clocks will be screwed up as they had to get up early for an 8 AM flight out of Hanscom. Columbus will have their normal home routine.

I don't see how you can do a quality pregame skate at 11:30 after:

0) No organized ice activity for 3 days, working to make family time, and the cloud of a bad game against Carolina.

1) Getting up at 6:30 to shower and drive yourself from the North End, or wherever a particular Bruin lives, to Hanscom Field by 7:45 AM. Remember: If you're not early, you're late. (Maybe they meet at the Garden, but they still have a half hour ride or drive from the Garden to Hanscom Field.)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Uni...78914159fad3330!2m2!1d-71.2766852!2d42.457231

2) Flying almost 2 hours, from 8:05 to 9:57.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWQ2139/history/20161227/1300Z/KBED/KCMH

3) A short 12 minute bus ride from the Columbus airport to the arena for the pregame skate.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Joh...7225a7a0c861ab!2m2!1d-83.0079461!2d39.9701109

All the while, players often act as a mini bull gang - I've seen the videos of them helping load and unload hockey equipment from buses, etc. And, of course, after practice, they've got to eat, check into their hotel, MAYBE get an hour pregame nap, and then arrive whenever they have to for a 6:30 warmup. I managed to get my holiday cold, and I'd still not moan about a 7:30 or 8 PM start if it gives them some extra downtime.

I hope the pregame skate was short, sweet, and effective. Heck, some teams have eliminated them...not sure if doing that after 3 days off and with a PP that needs work is a good idea, but...

That said, there is no game more like rock, paper, scissors than hockey. I couldn't get pumped for the Patriots game, because it seemed like an auto-win. Hockey, any team can win - we've seen it when we beat Columbus, and we've seen it when the Isles beat us.

Let's just hope for a surprise tonight.

Glad Liles is back, not as much for hockey as it means he's (hopefully) progressing through the protocol safely and that he's not getting any long-lasting effects like Savard.

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
man, what I'd give for the Bruins to have a Werenski/Carlo pairing like the one at the last juniors

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't see how you can do a quality pregame skate at 11:30 after:

0) No organized ice activity for 3 days, working to make family time, and the cloud of a bad game against Carolina.

1) Getting up at 6:30 to shower and drive yourself from the North End, or wherever a particular Bruin lives, to Hanscom Field by 7:45 AM. Remember: If you're not early, you're late. (Maybe they meet at the Garden, but they still have a half hour ride or drive from the Garden to Hanscom Field.)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Uni...78914159fad3330!2m2!1d-71.2766852!2d42.457231

2) Flying almost 2 hours, from 8:05 to 9:57.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWQ2139/history/20161227/1300Z/KBED/KCMH

3) A short 12 minute bus ride from the Columbus airport to the arena for the pregame skate.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Joh...7225a7a0c861ab!2m2!1d-83.0079461!2d39.9701109

All the while, players often act as a mini bull gang - I've seen the videos of them helping load and unload hockey equipment from buses, etc. And, of course, after practice, they've got to eat, check into their hotel, MAYBE get an hour pregame nap, and then arrive whenever they have to for a 6:30 warmup. I managed to get my holiday cold, and I'd still not moan about a 7:30 or 8 PM start if it gives them some extra downtime.

I hope the pregame skate was short, sweet, and effective. Heck, some teams have eliminated them...not sure if doing that after 3 days off and with a PP that needs work is a good idea, but...

That said, there is no game more like rock, paper, scissors than hockey. I couldn't get pumped for the Patriots game, because it seemed like an auto-win. Hockey, any team can win - we've seen it when we beat Columbus, and we've seen it when the Isles beat us.

Let's just hope for a surprise tonight.

Glad Liles is back, not as much for hockey as it means he's (hopefully) progressing through the protocol safely and that he's not getting any long-lasting effects like Savard.

Those are all very good points, and I also wonder what sort of lifestyle choices the players make over the three days off. Do they indulge in foods they ordinarily wouldn't eat? Do they hit the gym or do any cardio sessions?

The bodies of athletes of their caliber could really benefit from three days off. But to have to get up, fly, then play may take some acclimating. Also, I imagine the passing may not be as sharp. We'll see.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Getting all of those excuses out of the way early in case we lose. :laugh:

People do realize that Columbus celebrates Christmas too right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad