Post-Game Talk: GAME 37 BAH HUMBUG!!! - Whalercanes 5 BRUINS 3 FINAL

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Welp...

Bruce Cassidy unhappy with Tuukka Rask’s mishandling of puck - The Boston Globe

Asked if Rask gets out over his skis sometimes with the puck on his stick, Cassidy was matter of fact, but blunt in his assessment.

“It’s not his strength, per se, and it’s not something, I don’t think, he puts a lot of time into to correct sometimes,” Cassidy said. “It is what it is. You reap what you sow, right?”

“He concentrates first and foremost on stopping the puck, his technique,” Cassidy said. “He’s never been a guy that’s, I don’t know what word to use, a big . . . some goalies really enjoy playing the puck. I’m not sure he enjoys it, let’s put it that way.”

Rask wouldn’t say how much time be devotes to stickhandling, in the offseason or otherwise.

“I try to stop it behind the net, or whenever I have a chance, and I try to make the right play,” Rask said. “In that case I didn’t. Made a couple bad backhand passes. Then made plenty of good ones today. So, yeah. Shooting for perfection.”

“But it’s part of the job requirement, and you have to be sharper than he was today, it’s that simple,” Cassidy said. “I’m sure he will be the next time he’s in there.”

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Welp...

Bruce Cassidy unhappy with Tuukka Rask’s mishandling of puck - The Boston Globe

Asked if Rask gets out over his skis sometimes with the puck on his stick, Cassidy was matter of fact, but blunt in his assessment.

“It’s not his strength, per se, and it’s not something, I don’t think, he puts a lot of time into to correct sometimes,” Cassidy said. “It is what it is. You reap what you sow, right?”

“He concentrates first and foremost on stopping the puck, his technique,” Cassidy said. “He’s never been a guy that’s, I don’t know what word to use, a big . . . some goalies really enjoy playing the puck. I’m not sure he enjoys it, let’s put it that way.”

Rask wouldn’t say how much time be devotes to stickhandling, in the offseason or otherwise.

“I try to stop it behind the net, or whenever I have a chance, and I try to make the right play,” Rask said. “In that case I didn’t. Made a couple bad backhand passes. Then made plenty of good ones today. So, yeah. Shooting for perfection.”

“But it’s part of the job requirement, and you have to be sharper than he was today, it’s that simple,” Cassidy said. “I’m sure he will be the next time he’s in there.”
It was very telling the way he said: "So, yeah. Shooting for perfection.” Very telling!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Could Halak conceivably get the next 3 starts : New Jersey and then Buffalo on Saturday and the outdoor game on Monday? Unless he has a real stinker on Thursday it is possible

The game at Buffalo means far more than the other two.

It was no secret that several Bruins chartered planes from Raleigh tonight, why fly back to Hanscom if you can get where you want to be tonight - that is standard practice when a break occurs. I know Tuukka has done that in the past to get to Turks and Caicos but I don't know if that was the case tonight.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The game at Buffalo means far more than the other two.

It was no secret that several Bruins chartered planes from Raleigh tonight, why fly back to Hanscom if you can get where you want to be tonight - that is standard practice when a break occurs. I know Tuukka has done that in the past to get to Turks and Caicos but I don't know if that was the case tonight.
It is likely Halak starts on Thursday and if he does well why wouldn’t Cassidy start him on Saturday?

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
I like that they didnt quit even right to the end.

This one is 100% on McAvoy and Rask. Looks like Halak will be getting a few more starts.

As much as Rask effed up on at least one goal, I'm more pissed at the power play. They had a couple of chances to put the game away when they were up 2 - 0 and could barely muster a shot on goal not to mention the 2 shorties...

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The puzzle of the goalie for the next three games perplexes me. Frankly, almost any of 7 combos can make a little bit of sense - almost anything but Rask, Rask, Rask. The WC is a low-stakes game in terms of points-at-a-premium (Chicago? who cares), but high-visibility. Halak may be in a better headspace right now to play the WC, but...what's Rask going to feel like with his "thermos with iced tea"? And will it impact Rask playing future games?

Reasonable arguments for both players to play the WC.

Maybe you play Rask against low-stakes NJD, Halak against BUF. Maybe you decide you have to give Halak a chance in NJ because Rask shit the bed, and then depending on how Halak does in NJ, you play Rask or Halak in BUF. And after those two games...whoever.

I knew Rask was awful at handling the puck - I have palpitations anytime I see his skates leave the blue paint. But tonight was just horrible. He needs to learn that skill, or figure out how he compensated for it over the last few years.

Reactions: BMC

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The puzzle of the goalie for the next three games perplexes me. Frankly, almost any of 7 combos can make a little bit of sense - almost anything but Rask, Rask, Rask. The WC is a low-stakes game in terms of points-at-a-premium (Chicago? who cares), but high-visibility. Halak may be in a better headspace right now to play the WC, but...what's Rask going to feel like with his "thermos with iced tea"? And will it impact Rask playing future games?

Reasonable arguments for both players to play the WC.

Maybe you play Rask against low-stakes NJD, Halak against BUF. Maybe you decide you have to give Halak a chance in NJ because Rask **** the bed, and then depending on how Halak does in NJ, you play Rask or Halak in BUF. And after those two games...whoever.

I knew Rask was awful at handling the puck - I have palpitations anytime I see his skates leave the blue paint. But tonight was just horrible. He needs to learn that skill, or figure out how he compensated for it over the last few years.

You nailed it . Play Halak on Thursday and see how he does . If he plays well you play him against Buffalo and then we shall see .

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I like that they didnt quit even right to the end.

This one is 100% on McAvoy and Rask. Looks like Halak will be getting a few more starts.

They quit after the first Carolina goal. The entire 2nd period they got dominated. They only started trying again after the 2nd Donato goal gave them hope.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Honestly, I think the team had a party because Charlie turned 21 - What else could they do in Raleigh on a Saturday night.
yeah this is what I think too. They would never admit to it and we'll never know, but Charlie doesn't just have a dogshit game like that for no reason. His only bad games in his career have generally come when he's coming back from injury. I honestly thought he looked sick today. After that 2nd Canes goal when he had his head down on the bench it looked to me less like he was mad at himself and more like he was gonna barf lol. It's no excuse, but it is what it is.

The people who want to say it's proof that he's overrated and that he's "no Drew Doughty" IMO are already looking for reasons to dislike him for whatever reason. It's silly really. The kid is an immense talent but all great players have stinkers from time to time. Do people here really want to pretend that Chara, even in his prime was totally perfect? Or Bourque for that matter?

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
They quit after the first Carolina goal. The entire 2nd period they got dominated. They only started trying again after the 2nd Donato goal gave them hope.
The first ten minutes of the 1st period I thought we were going to see another game like the Canadians game . Pretty well downhill after that . The only consolation was Donato’s two goals . The Donato we saw tonight is the guy I thought we were going to see all year and maybe with some confidence the rest of the way he can be that player .

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Maybe you play Rask against low-stakes NJD, Halak against BUF. Maybe you decide you have to give Halak a chance in NJ because Rask **** the bed, and then depending on how Halak does in NJ, you play Rask or Halak in BUF. And after those two games...whoever.

How long has Rask been in the league? It's about time he learns how to play the puck better or else "stay in the ****ing net"

I'd play Halak against NJ in Boston and I'd also consider playing him in Buffalo as he has 3 shutouts on the road so far this season.

...as for the WC game...........I'd flip a coin

Reactions: Spooner st

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
While the whole team expect Donato was shit, McAvoy and Rask were just terrible and directly responsible for 3 goals against.
I don't know what they had done the night before but they all looked like hangover.

The 4th line makes me sick and I cannot stand it anymore. I know they are primarily not here to boost our offence but I have the feeling they will never score expect the usual empty netter. Acciari is the worst of the bunch. Bad on the pk, will never score a goal and has 1 freaking assist over 31 games. Get him out of the lineup and fast, we have enough 4th liners that could replace him. The problem is, we do not have 2nd or 3rd liners that could replace our 4th liners. That's why we need some scoring help as soon as possible. I'm not speaking about recalling Björk or some other AHL kid, we need real help.

As much as I like Nordstroms effort, I don't want to see him on the 2nd line ever again, he has no buisness beign there. The guy is a 4th liner and that's where he belongs. That said, I wouldn't mind a 4th line made of Kuraly, Nordstrom and maybe Cave.
Poor Krejci, his job must be so frustrating. Year after year he is forced to play with some 4th liners (not speaking about Debrusk) and people expect him to convert them into goalscorers. Give the guy some top 6 material and he will deliver.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Wow, Cassidy not pulling punches...

Ryan Johnston seems to think Halak could start the WC.

Low stakes game in terms of the opponent and regular season grind.

Big stakes game in terms of national exposure. Casual fans who don’t follow like we do would tune in and see Rask not starting and wonder what’s up.

If Halak continues to play well, I think he should be rewarded with the WC start.

I also think that Halak’s track record suggests that he will falter at some point if he’s given the #1 work load.

This team will need Rask either to take the starting role or to take 30/40% of the starts.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Meh, best to forget this one and move on.

Merry Christmas to the Bruin Nation and all the best in the new year.
I love this place. This is where I get my Bruin fix. I'm a Bruin addict.

Been a lot of "Best to forget it and move on" games this year. Besides talent there is something else lacking with this team.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Everyone is shitting on Krejci's contract, but it's Rask's that's the most ridiculous one. A lot of money for an average starter and, in our case, a back-up.
McAvoy with a piss poor game as well, but I will give him some slack. Good to see Donato with a great game though.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Been a lot of "Best to forget it and move on" games this year. Besides talent there is something else lacking with this team.
Yep.

It’s no forwgone conclusion that they qualify for the playoffs.

One bad stretch of another club getting hot and they could be on the outside looking in.

For all the perseverance they showed staying afloat while guys were injured, they’ve also left points on the table this season.

Such is life for a good, but not great team.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I wouldnt put too much stock into this loss. Bruins should have left the 1st period up at least 2-0. They gave up 2 shorty's.......Rask and McAvoy were hungover I'd say.
Donato looked good

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Andrew83

Dec 15, 2010
Boston
Hopefully Chara won't have any setbacks. The B's are disturbingly close now to being knocked out of a playoff position (because MTL is only 1 point back and the Islanders have 2 games in hand).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad