GDT: Game 36 - Sabres (20-10-5) vs. Capitals (20-10-3) at 7 PM ET on NBCSN and WGR

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I thought our defencemen all played great.Very solid group.Is there a freeze to bring someone up other than emergency?Oloffson would look good about now

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I strongly suggest caps fans looking to argue about this do so on some other board.

Similarly, don't feed, etc.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Their 2C is one of if not the best in the league. And they just won the CUP! We matched up with them very well. Without a 2C. Regardless of that we are the much weaker team on all aspects and we still held our ground! Teams obviously watch a mountain of film on our top line it’s only a matter of time before they faulter.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
??? join the scrum ?? Are you serious ? what do you mean ? Is this some *****fication rule the league has come out with ?
Are you kidding?

***d) When a stoppage of play takes place in an end zone followed by a gathering of players, a face-off at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot shall occur if any attacking player enters the end zone further than the outer edge of the face-off circles nearest the blue line.***

Haven’t you watched a million games when a scrum breaks out by the net and the attacking dmen stand and watch from the tops of the circles. Its the interpretation of that rule as to why.

This has been around forever.

Last edited:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
The first goal was a snipe and the second was hardly his fault. The D have grown too comfortable with his puck skills and don’t look out for players coming in. This game is on not having secondary scoring. Much like every game.
I don’t blame the first goal on Hutton at all. I blame the GWG on his giveaway behind the net. I think overall Hutton played well, but he can’t make that mistake.

You’re right about needing consistent secondary scoring, but tonight our lone goal came from a secondary scoring line.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
You’re right about needing consistent secondary scoring said:
Yes it was scored by a secondary line but it was a fluke more than anything. You need skilled players to fill out the lineup. Not fluke goals from 4th liners

Edit: this was a reply to 1point21Gigawatts I have no idea what I’ve done lol

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thanks, never noticed that was a rule, I guess.
You probably have but never really thought about it. You’ve probably seen a ton of scrums over the years where the attacking dmen just watch from the tops of the circles. Thats why they didn’t enter the scrum.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Edit: this was a reply to 1point21Gigawatts I have no idea what I’ve done lol
You’re some sort of hf wizard :laugh:

I agree that secondary scoring is our biggest issue right now, but it can’t work as a full excuse on a night where a secondary unit scores. Now where we really disagree is on whether the goal was a fluke or not. I don’t think it was. I thought that line played very well offensively in the last half of the game. It was good to see them rewarded.

I think we agree on the big picture but see tonight a little different from each other.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
You probably have but never really thought about it. You’ve probably seen a ton of scrums over the years where the attacking dmen just watch from the tops of the circles. Thats why they didn’t enter the scrum.
It’s nice to have the nuance explained, sometimes. It’s something I had noticed but didn’t fully understand the reasoning behind.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It’s nice to have the nuance explained, sometimes. It’s something I had noticed but didn’t fully understand the reasoning behind.

I think it was done years ago in an attempt to keep things from escalating from the initial scrum. at least thats my best guess as to why it was implemented.

Member 308457

It takes 4 goals to win games consistently. I'd put Pominville on the top line when he's better and have
Reinhart center his own line to spread out the scoring. Vets Okposo and Sheary need to pitch in regularly or get benched.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Are you kidding?

***d) When a stoppage of play takes place in an end zone followed by a gathering of players, a face-off at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot shall occur if any attacking player enters the end zone further than the outer edge of the face-off circles nearest the blue line.***

Haven’t you watched a million games when a scrum breaks out by the net and the attacking dmen stand and watch from the tops of the circles. Its the interpretation of that rule as to why.

This has been around forever.

No, I guess I haven't been watching too many games to last decade honestly..Got sick of the product that was on the ice and just mostly followed them online....I am not a fan of this rule at all, and I 'm not saying that because of our faceoff tonight... What's the point of it ? Is it so things don't get rough ? If that's the case this is just another reason why today's game is going downhill

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No, I guess I haven't been watching too many games to last decade honestly..Got sick of the product that was on the ice and just mostly followed them online....I am not a fan of this rule at all, and I 'm not saying that because of our faceoff tonight... What's the point of it ? Is it so things don't get rough ? If that's the case this is just another reason why today's game is going downhill
I mentioned earlier I think it was put in in an attempt to prevent escalation from the initial scrum. But this rule has been around for a very long time. Its not a new rule at all.

Reactions: VaporTrail

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@VaporTrail @sincerity0 @1point21Gigawatts

Here is the NHL rule on that. My earlier post has the USA hockey rule.

Following a stoppage of play, should one or both defensemen who are the point players or any player coming from the bench of the attacking team, enter into the attacking zone beyond the outer edge of the end zone face-off circle during an altercation, gathering or "scrum," the ensuing face-off shall take place in the neutral zone near the blue line of the defending team.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think it was done years ago in an attempt to keep things from escalating from the initial scrum. at least thats my best guess as to why it was implemented.
I could see where the NHL would think that would work, but like most of their decisions, it cuts down on the enjoyment factor and takes away momentum from the team collapsing around the net.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I wasn't aware that there was a rule saying only forwards could charge the net looking for a loose puck.
The rule is if there is a scrum and the dmen come in to join then the faceoff goes outside the zone. That rule has been around a long time.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I could see where the NHL would think that would work, but like most of their decisions, it cuts down on the enjoyment factor and takes away momentum from the team collapsing around the net.

I think If Risto had stayed out of it the faceoff would have stayed in the zone. But once he came in to join it the decision was made for the officials. If guys are part of the play its usually a judgment call. Risto wasn’t really part of the play but Dahlin was.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps fan here. Good game tonight. I thought the Sabres were the better team. Holtby played well tonight. I thought we may have got cheated on that waved off goal. It was pretty close.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think If Risto had stayed out of it the faceoff would have stayed in the zone. But once he came in to join it the decision was made for the officials. If guys are part of the play its usually a judgment call. Risto wasn’t really part of the play but Dahlin was.
Absolutely correct. The other dman was already involved in the play. It was Risto that jumped in afterwards.

Reactions: joshjull

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
The rule is if there is a scrum and the dmen come in to join then the faceoff goes outside the zone. That rule has been around a long time.
I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about something that a Capitals fan said, whose post has since been deleted. Don't worry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad