GDT: Game 36 - Sabres (20-10-5) vs. Capitals (20-10-3) at 7 PM ET on NBCSN and WGR

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
usa_today_9060930.0.jpeg

Game Preview: 12/21/18 at Washington

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

LAST GAME
Tuesday, December 18
Florida 5 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Skinner, Ristolainen
Goalie: Hutton (31 saves/35 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/3; PK: 2/3; Shots: Florida 36 – Buffalo 32

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 139)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 35 games
Jake McCabe (upper body, Nov. 29; injured reserve) – 9 games
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 6 games
Lawrence Pilut (lower body, Dec. 15; injured reserve) – 3 games
Nathan Beaulieu (lower body, Dec. 16) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/15: Recalled D Matt Hunwick from his conditioning loan in Rochester (AHL); Activated D Marco Scandella from IR
12/16: Recalled D Brendan Guhle from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Lawrence Pilut on IR
12/17: Assigned D Matt Tennyson to Rochester (AHL)
12/19: Placed F Patrik Berglund on unconditional waivers with intent to terminate his contract

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Dec. 22: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 27: Buffalo at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 29: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 31: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 6 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at CAPITALS

• This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
  • Last meeting: Washington defeated Buffalo 4-3 (SO) in Washington on Dec. 15
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 2-6-2 on the road.
  • This is the 160th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 88-50-21 series record.
  • The Sabres are 41-27-12 on the road against the Capitals all-time.
Sabres vs. Capitals Game Preview

Dec. 21 vs. Buffalo Sabres at Capital One Arena

Time: 7:00 p.m.

TV: NBCSW

Radio: Capitals Radio 24/7, FAN 106.7

Buffalo Sabres 20-10-5 vs. Washington Capitals 20-10-3

Washington finishes off a three-game homestand and starts a set of back-to-backs games on Friday night when it hosts the Buffalo Sabres for the second time in less than a week. The Caps edged Buffalo 4-3 in a shootout decision here last Saturday night.

In between the two games against the Sabres, the Caps dropped a 2-1 decision to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday night in Washington. The loss to the Pens ended the Caps' five-game winning streak, and also halted Caps captain Alex Ovechkin's career high scoring streak at 14 straight games.

WASHINGTON

Forwards

8-Ovechkin, 19-Backstrom, 77-Oshie
13-Vrana, 92-Kuznetsov, 43-Wilson
65-Burakovsky, 20-Eller, 10-Connolly
18-Stephenson, 26-Dowd, 25-Smith-Pelly

Defensemen
6-Kempny, 74-Carlson
9-Orlov, 2-Niskanen
34-Siegenthaler, 22-Bowey

Goaltenders
70-Holtby
1-Copley

Injuries
29-Djoos (lower body)
44-Orpik (lower body)

Scratches
23-Jaskin
72-Boyd
78-Lewington

BUFFALO

Forwards

53-Skinner, 9-Eichel, 23-Reinhart
43-Sheary, 17-Sobotka, 71-Rodrigues
28-Girgensons 37-Mittelstadt, 21-Okposo
81-Elie, 22-Larsson, 72-Thompson

Defensemen
26-Dahlin, 4-Bogosian
24-Pilut, 55-Ristolainen
6-Scandella, 19-McCabe

Goaltenders
40-Hutton
35-Ullmark

Injuries
8-Nelson (upper body)
20-Wilson (ankle)
29-Pominville (upper body)
82-Beaulieu (lower body)

Scratches
45-Guhle
48-Hunwick

Last edited:

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Damn i'm gonna have to miss this game. Driving up to Buffalo in a couple hours to visit family for Christmas. Hope they play as well as they did last time against the champs but pull out the W.

RobRayzor

Drugs are bad,mmmmmkay
Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Oh yeah,another game where we're forced to watch home crew only! I mean Joe Beninati is actually pretty good play-by-play,but at this point i'd rather listen to Dunleavy,he's impressed me so far.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Oh yeah,another game where we're forced to watch home crew only! I mean Joe Beninati is actually pretty good play-by-play,but at this point i'd rather listen to Dunleavy,he's impressed me so far.
It’s on NBCSN; does Joe call those games?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NHL on NBCSN: Capitals, Sabres look to rebound following defeats

2dlrm2mE

NBCSN’s coverage of the 2018-19 NHL season continues with Friday night’s matchup between the Buffalo Sabres and the Washington Capitals with coverage beginning at 6 p.m. ET. You can watch the game online and on the NBC Sports app by clicking here.

The Sabres and Capitals meet for the second time in less than a week with both teams coming off home defeats. Washington had their five-game winning streak snapped by a 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins win on Wednesday night and look to head into the Christmas break on a winning note.

Both teams blew leads in their defeats this week with the Capitals watching a 1-0 lead get erased by two Penguins goals. The Sabres lead the Florida Panthers 2-1 after 40 minutes and fell 5-2. Buffalo had been 9-0-2 when leading after two periods this season.

“It just seems like we lost momentum. It’s frustrating,” said Sabres captain Jack Eichel. “We’re at home. We’ve got to find a way to have a better third period than that. … Maybe our puck management wasn’t there. I don’t think the desperation was there; they were definitely desperate. They played hard in their own end, but I don’t think we outworked them.”

The loss was the continuation of some struggles for the Sabres, who are now 3-4-3 since reeling off 10 straight wins earlier this season.

RobRayzor

Drugs are bad,mmmmmkay
Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
It’s on NBCSN; does Joe call those games?
I'm just assuming that they're gonna broadcast Caps feed which is "NBCSN-WAS",similar as they did with the last Flyers @ Sabres game,where it was "NBCSN",but they just played the Flyers feed.

EDIT: And it's confirmed on NBSCN website -
Joe Beninati (play-by-play) and Craig Laughlin (‘Inside-the-Glass’ analyst) will have the call from Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Paul Burmeister hosts NHL Live, which begins at 6 p.m. ET, alongside Jeremy Roenick and Anson Carter.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgoalie

steveoath

GHC 141
Jul 31, 2018

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm just assuming that they're gonna broadcast Caps feed which is "NBCSN-WAS",similar as they did with the last Flyers @ Sabres game,where it was "NBCSN",but they just played the Flyers feed.

EDIT: And it's confirmed on NBSCN website -
Joe Beninati (play-by-play) and Craig Laughlin (‘Inside-the-Glass’ analyst) will have the call from Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Paul Burmeister hosts NHL Live, which begins at 6 p.m. ET, alongside Jeremy Roenick and Anson Carter.

Yuck. As I've stated before, I cannot STAND Beninati and Laughlin. I'll probably go soundless, or try to kind of sync the NHL feed with the behind steaming Sirius/XM Buffalo call. It's not easy.

Reactions: Zeb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->