GDT: [Game #36] Dallas Stars @ Nashville Predators - 7:00 PM CT (BSSWX)

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Benn up to 34 points now. Even if it ends soon, the change really has been wild.

1672198601165.png

Reactions: ugrakarma

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Everytime we beat Nashville I just picture Josi crying in the dressing room during the Winter Classic intermission saying they are a better team than Dallas. LUL

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I still don't quite get how Benn was so bad last year. He was good during the pandemic season. Not as good as he is playing this year but absolutely fine but last season was just a complete desaster for anyone not playing on the topline.

Rick Bowness yelling at everyone to play defense.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I thought Olofsson looked pretty good, at least not as lost as Tufte looked in his few games. I guess they are recycling the call ups of minimum wage AHL'ers to give them a second chance to make an impression. In this case, I think it worked.

As Razor mentioned last night, Benn's 14 goals (on pace for 31-32 goals) is more remarkable in the fact it took him ten games to get goal no. 1. If he keeps up the pace after those ten games, he is potentially back in 38 goal territory, although I doubt that happens. Nice to contemplate, though! We might have 3 30 goal scorers in Benn, JRob, and Rope, which we haven't had in forever.

Reactions: Elysian

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I thought Olofsson looked pretty good, at least not as lost as Tufte looked in his few games. I guess they are recycling the call ups of minimum wage AHL'ers to give them a second chance to make an impression. In this case, I think it worked.

As Razor mentioned last night, Benn's 14 goals (on pace for 31-32 goals) is more remarkable in the fact it took him ten games to get goal no. 1. If he keeps up the pace after those ten games, he is potentially back in 38 goal territory, although I doubt that happens. Nice to contemplate, though! We might have 3 30 goal scorers in Benn, JRob, and Rope, which we haven't had in forever.
I’d be excited to have two 40 goal scorers for a change, too

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Olofsson did look good which surprised me a bit. I hope he can stick. I would like someone else to stick as well and get rid of Faksa. His contract for a 4th liner is way too high. Maybe another team could use him as he is good in the face off circle and defense but him and suter need to go.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Benn up to 34 points now. Even if it ends soon, the change really has been wild.

View attachment 627269

I haven't watched much hockey at all this year and I can't even imagine it, that's nuts to me.

To add to this, through 36 games played last season, Benn had 9 goals 8 assists 17 points 17:26 avgTOI

This season, his ice time is down to 15:08 per game.

I'm sure it's implied in your post, but maybe cutting minutes down makes sure Benn is always playing full tilt against weaker opponents and it's working out? I don't think that's everything, I'm sure he must have done something in the off season, but it probably helps a lot.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It probably makes some sense to limit the minutes of Pavs, Benn, Seguin, and Suter to increase their production per minute, even if their season totals take a small hit. Or, this may just be a factor of PDB rotating 4 lines more consistently than Bones ended up doing.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
It's both. DeBoer rotates lines because that's his system. He does so in part to give older players less TOI so they don't wear down in the grind. It also makes players more effective because they can max out more shifts with lesser minutes. That's his style because the results he achieves with it are superior than running his 4th line 8 minutes a night. As long as the 4th line isn't total trash the whole thing works. IE chicken or egg...yes.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
One interesting thing is that, despite Benn getting so much deserved praise, Pavelski is matching him in points. Obviously on a better line and more of a passenger, but Pavs is still producing very well.

Reactions: Elysian

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
One interesting thing is that, despite Benn getting so much deserved praise, Pavelski is matching him in points. Obviously on a better line and more of a passenger, but Pavs is still producing very well.
Yeah, been following that for a while now. Seems that Pavs is slowing down or in a slump now. Just 5 points in the last 10gp, the 10 games before he was going at the usual point per game pace, 10 in 10.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, been following that for a while now. Seems that Pavs is slowing down or in a slump now. Just 5 points in the last 10gp, the 10 games before he was going at the usual point per game pace, 10 in 10.

Benn is getting alot of the powerplay points and goals Pavs used to get even during his off days . Benn leads the team in PPG's and is second in points on the powerplay this season. Last year i don't think he even was on unit #1 . Benn already has 5 more powerplay points and 5 more powerplay goals than he had all of last year and we're just 37 games in .

Last edited:
Reactions: Hull Fan and Johno

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Benn is getting alot of the powerplay points and goals Pavs used to get even during his off days . Benn leads the team in PPG's and is second in points on the powerplay this season. Last year i don't think he even was on unit #1 . Benn already has 5 more powerplay points and 5 more powerplay goals than he had all of last year and we're just 37 games in .

Definitely making the best of his situation for now. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad