GDT: Game 36: Arizona Liquors @ San Jose Beers | 12/23/18 6 p.m MDT | FS-A Plus

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Keller fed Galchenyuk perfectly for his two goals. Schmaltz has had great chemistry with Keller, too. I really don’t care about Dick Panik or Derek Stepan. I want the only three decent forwards on the roster going.
How are they defensively as a line?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
"Garland is not so much a magician with the puck as he is a warlock with it, casting black magic spells to pull off unbelievable passes. He plays a lightning-fast game, is extremely elusive, and is entirely unpredictable with the puck on his stick. He’s capable of making passes that no one has ever thought about or seen before. His quickness is too much for his opponents, and his elite hockey IQ is simply off the chain."

If this guy was a GM he would have picked Garland 1OA.
:)
I remember reading draft reviews and was genuinely curious how Marner was a consensus top 5 pick whilst Garland was a gamble in the mid rounds. Both were small, prolific scorers that were magicians with the puck. On top of that, marner had the benefit of playing on one of the best junior lines of all time.

What about Marners game translated so well? Does the couple inches in height make that much difference?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller fed Galchenyuk perfectly for his two goals. Schmaltz has had great chemistry with Keller, too. I really don’t care about Dick Panik or Derek Stepan. I want the only three decent forwards on the roster going.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it is wise putting all our eggs in one basket. Most other teams top lines is better than ours, so we become a team that is easy to defend. That first line worked well all last year for us and is working again. We aren't scoring so may as well keep experimenting until something clicks.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I remember reading draft reviews and was genuinely curious how Marner was a consensus top 5 pick whilst Garland was a gamble in the mid rounds. Both were small, prolific scorers that were magicians with the puck. On top of that, marner had the benefit of playing on one of the best junior lines of all time.

What about Marners game translated so well? Does the couple inches in height make that much difference?

Not trying to take anything away from Marner, but we all know that the quality of players around you correlates with your own production level.

For a highly skilled winger I don't think size matters at all. I think what makes the difference is the hard to define hockey IQ. Putting yourself in position to score or setting up your teammates to score.

I could be completely wrong, but when I see a guy like Boedker skate a large circle around the net in the offense zone holding the puck (almost never resulting in points) I'm thinking "he doesn't know what to do with the puck". Compare that to a guy with a very high assist total, who sees the ice and everyone on it in complete clarity and more often than not makes the right pass to the right player at the right time.

Just one observation from a hockey layman.

Reactions: che

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What about possession. That line usually had under 50% possession most nights.

True. Corsi score for those 3 guys is not impressive. Last night there were several times Keller made a pass to no one...and I mean no one. :thumbd:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of course 10 goals in the last two games might have made a slight clicking sound.
Right, and both lines played good and contributed. At least now RT knows he has options if we stop scoring again.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Every time we beat a better team some one has to say this. Give the Yotes credit. The Sharks were rested waiting for us after we played the night before. We lose and all I hear is how bad we are. We win and then I hear the other team has taken us lightly. We have beaten a lot of good teams this year, but our inconsistency is killing us. I have no idea why we are so inconsistent.
San Jose and Colorado did not play very well, they both had mental breakdowns on D. Its human nature to relax when your opponent isn't as good or hasn't been as good as you are. Its really a game of mental mistakes.

I give the Yotes credit and hope it continues. The well rested part I don't agree with. These are 25 year olds in world class shape, playing 2 nights in a row is nothing for them. The talk about who played the night before isn't very accurate in predicting wins or losses.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
True. Corsi score for those 3 guys is not impressive. Last night there were several times Keller made a pass to no one...and I mean no one. :thumbd:
That’s like telling an actor he didn’t deserve his academy award because he went off script too much. Corsi is meant to predict scoring. Scoring is the point.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There wa somebody posting on the Sharks board that the team had lost 2 in a row with a Corsi of over 20.

"Clearly, Corsi isn't everything."

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
That’s like telling an actor he didn’t deserve his academy award because he went off script too much. Corsi is meant to predict scoring. Scoring is the point.

My understanding of Corsi is that its a proxy for possession time

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My understanding of Corsi is that its a proxy for possession time
What is possession time good for? What’s the point of considering this metric? It’s supposed to predict goals. Nobody cares if your possession metrics are crap if your goal differential is strong. At most it would be a sustainability concern. Possession is an indicator of outcomes. It’s not an outcome. Goals are actual outcomes.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If the Coyotes were a football team, most drives would end in a punt or a red zone turnover.
In football, you can get away with no offense like that if you have a lights out defense. In baseball, you can get away with no offense like that if you have a lights out pitching staff. In hockey, you can get away with no offense like that if you have a lights out goalie. We don't.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

From little I've seen of Garland and more of Marner I would say hockey IQ and the ice vision. Marner has some gretzky in him. I've seen nothing of that in Garland. He is very quick but he has treated the puck largely like a hand grenade. Now some of that might be nerves being new to the Big Leagues but clearly the scouts knew what they were talking about.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
For success and longevity, I believe he needs to be better at avoiding being hit and to turn better. It seems like his falls are a result of the low angles he tries to turn with; almost like a speed skater, rounding a corner.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
All three of his goals last night are vintage Galchenyuk. We haven’t seen that from him until now. I don’t know if he’s been outing too much presssure on himself or what, but I really hope he woke up last night and stays present. Keller feeding him seems to work. I think we need to keep the Keller-Schmaltz-Galchenyuk line together 5v5.
Came here to post this.

If you wanted to showcase Galchenyuk's bread-and-butter scoring plays, basically just show someone this game.

If Tocchet understands this and plays him on the right side on the PP and in OT, and gives him a chance in every shootout, he'll be money for this team. His only 30-goal season with us, he was employed on the right side quite heavily on the man advantage. Happy to see him finally having a breakout game, hopefully this spells good things for him moving forward.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He's a shooter and needs to be put into position to use that shot as much as possible. Not every player is going to be a two way stud. I don't know why our organization can't figure this out. The coach's job is to get the most out of each player's talents. It seems like our coaches and management have been waiting to find ppg players that are studs on defense. So we sit here still loaded with players that can't score and we still suck.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
He's a shooter and needs to be put into position to use that shot as much as possible. Not every player is going to be a two way stud. I don't know why our organization can't figure this out. The coach's job is to get the most out of each player's talents. It seems like our coaches and management have been waiting to find ppg players that are studs on defense. So we sit here still loaded with players that can't score and we still suck.

This was a problem with Tippett as well, and I believe it was the start of Domi's issues here. Would Ovi be Ovi if he wasnt allowed to slack on D a bit and just stand there and T off in the same spot most shots. Would Kane be Kane if he wasnt allowed to free style and slide a bit on D.

I realize not all players are those guys but how do you know.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->