GDT: Game 35 - CBJ vs LAK - 19 Dec, 7pm, @Nat

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
BTW, only two points separate #3 and #7 in WC race. Scoreboard watching.

Avs leading Canes 1-0 deep in 3rd. C'mon Avs
Flames leading Habs 3-2 with <10 minutes to play: Go Flames
  • Freaking Avs: a 1-0 lead with 3:00 to play and they lose 3-1. Damn Canes!!!
  • Habs tied up game with 8 minutes to play and took it to OT. Then they win it. Damn...bad karma for us tonight regarding other relevant games.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
  • Freaking Avs: a 1-0 lead with 3:00 to play and they lose 3-1. Damn Canes!!!
  • Habs tied up game with 8 minutes to play and took it to OT. Then they win it. Damn...bad karma for us tonight regarding other relevant games.
If we get 10 games above .500, we'll be in the thick of it. Just keep winning, baby.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Interesting quote from Torts tonight regarding Carlsson

Asked twice where Carlsson has been the last two seasons — how he fell virtually off the Blue Jackets’ radar for call-ups, prospect rankings, etc. — Tortorella cast an ominous tone.

“I have my thoughts,” Tortorella said. “I’m not going to give them to you. It’s something out of his control. I have some thoughts on that, but I can’t talk about it here.”

Portzline: Dubois, Jenner rally injury-ravaged Blue Jackets,...

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Perennial HFCBJ trade bait ZW with a goal and game tying primary assist while playing first pairing minutes while injured.

Pretty decent player
Not sure anyone is disputing he’s not. Trading him is probably the only way we get an elite offensive talent in return though. Pld is probably the closest we have . As good as Peeke, Garikov, Kukan have looked , not to mention Nutivaara , we have an abundance of wealth that we will need to leverage . I’m not sure on the time frame for Hjorth , but he’s looks like he’s going to be a steal as well. Last night was just another example as to why you need to rebalance , granted there are a lot of injuries , but we struggle to score 2 goals, luckily we get a late tip by Boone with the extra man to get the game in overtime . Also, many around here need to eat some serious crow , Korpi has been lights out the past 17 games or so .

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Also, many around here need to eat some serious crow , Korpi has been lights out the past 17 games or so .

His .921 save percentage since 11/1 (18 appearances, 17 starts) ranks 17th in the league (6 games minimum). His xGA in that time is 37 and he's allowed in 39. But sure, "lights out."

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sounds like Torts is saying the coaching in Cleveland was brutal ?
I would certainly say that. The CBJ haven’t had anyone contribute from Cleveland effectively since Bednar left. I think between Carlsson, Peeke and Stenlund’s performance in the AHL so far this year that it seems they are developing better and being given a better chance to succeed.

Playing the same system in Cleveland helps a ton and I’m shocked they weren’t doing it before this year. Seems there was a disconnect between Madden and Torts.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Not sure anyone is disputing he’s not. Trading him is probably the only way we get an elite offensive talent in return though. Pld is probably the closest we have . As good as Peeke, Garikov, Kukan have looked , not to mention Nutivaara , we have an abundance of wealth that we will need to leverage . I’m not sure on the time frame for Hjorth , but he’s looks like he’s going to be a steal as well. Last night was just another example as to why you need to rebalance , granted there are a lot of injuries , but we struggle to score 2 goals, luckily we get a late tip by Boone with the extra man to get the game in overtime . Also, many around here need to eat some serious crow , Korpi has been lights out the past 17 games or so .
Nobody needs to eat crow. 17 games doesn't prove anything. Has he played better? No doubt. Can he do it over the course of a few years? That remains to be seen. I wouldn't say the coaching in Cleveland has been brutal. Carlsson made big strides when Madden was here and continued to do so this year. If anything, the coaching here has been decent. Volgelhuber and McCarthy are good assistants and Thiessen is doing ok with the goalies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Interesting quote from Torts tonight regarding Carlsson

Portzline: Dubois, Jenner rally injury-ravaged Blue Jackets,...

Certainly a bizarre quote. I feel it has to be a call-out of either Madden or Jarmo? Although I don’t think he’d talk about Jarmo like that, so has to be Madden.

But Torts also seems to have a bit of an undeserved love for Carlsson. His decision to play him in the 2017 playoffs over Nutivarra was questionable at best at the time and pretty bizarre in hindsight. Maybe Gabe just isn’t that good but it’s hard for Torts to admit, so it has to be Madden’s (or someone else’s) fault.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A holiday dinner featuring some killer wines preventing me from seeing the game last night. I would have loved to have seen the six on five come back goal in overtime win. Good job Jackets.

In looking at the box score, Cam’s low minutes told me he must have been injured - confirmed when I checked in here. But I saw a lot of other very low minutes beyond just the 4th line. It looks like Torts basically went with two forward lines and two D pairs. Is that a correct interpretation?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

None of those players mentioned do anything close to what Z does or bring what Z brings. Trusting them as our secondary offensive defenseman (which is a pretty important position, because a lot of our offense is generated from our defense) would be a huge mistake. I like all of those guys, but there is a reason Kukan and Nutivaara are on the third pairing when healthy. Peeke is a very nice prospect, but his offensive ceiling is only so high, and Gavrikov is the same way.

I get we have to give to get, but there are some players you just don't trade. For me (not in order), that's Jones, Dubois, and Z.

Yes, Korpi has been impressive.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Although he showed improvement under Madden, I will say this is most likely directed at Madden. This is only based on a question I asked a player but the translation may have been lost and he told me the differences of coaches in North America as opposed to coaching overseas. I was actually asking the player about cultural differences, but I think he thought I said coaching. Anyway, he said that over here coaches aren't as upfront about what is being done wrong and the players are expected to figure it out on their own, whereas overseas the coaches pull you aside and explain exactly what they want from the player. They work more one on one.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Odd quote. I think it comes down to one of three things:
1) Coaching/front office in Cleveland misusing him, but he's not going to slam Madden (or anyone else) now.
2) A non-hockey related injury. Per the CBA, he can't disclose medical conditions or injuries if they aren't hockey related. Only Gabe can.
3) Some sort of family matter.

My first thought was John Maddon as well. I doubt he'd throw Jarmo under the bus considering Carlsson was a CBJ pick, but who knows.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A holiday dinner featuring some killer wines preventing me from seeing the game last night. I would have loved to have seen the six on five come back goal in overtime win. Good job Jackets.

In looking at the box score, Cam’s low minutes told me he must have been injured - confirmed when I checked in here. But I saw a lot of other very low minutes beyond just the 4th line. It looks like Torts basically went with two forward lines and two D pairs. Is that a correct interpretation?

Yeah, Cam had what looked to be an ankle injury in the...I want to say 2nd period. Don't think he came back at all. But they sent Dano down so I assume both Cam and Milano are good to go for Saturday?

He relied pretty heavily on the Jenner and PLD lines. With Cam out he had to get Foligno some shifts. You can find the full shift report here - Los Angeles Kings @ Columbus Blue Jackets, 2019-12-19

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
My first thought was John Maddon as well. I doubt he'd throw Jarmo under the bus considering Carlsson was a CBJ pick, but who knows.

Maybe he's referring to the logjam at D and Jarmo holding on to Harrington and calling up Peeke over Carlsson? I don't know. I mean, I wasn't overly impressed (and never have been) by Gabe. He probably falls behind Peeke on the depth chart, and Clendening as well. Really weird statement from Torts.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I thought Carlsson looked fine in His initial stint at the end of 2017. After he got sent down early the next season I believe he had back issues that pretty much destroyed that season and he got buried after that. It sounds like he’s really rebounded under Eaves in Cleveland and still has the talent to be an NHL player. I think getting passed on the depth chart is a result of bad luck and organizational depth. No shame in getting passed by Peeke and Gavrikov because they are going to be really good players.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Although he showed improvement under Madden, I will say this is most likely directed at Madden. This is only based on a question I asked a player but the translation may have been lost and he told me the differences of coaches in North America as opposed to coaching overseas. I was actually asking the player about cultural differences, but I think he thought I said coaching. Anyway, he said that over here coaches aren't as upfront about what is being done wrong and the players are expected to figure it out on their own, whereas overseas the coaches pull you aside and explain exactly what they want from the player. They work more one on one.
Meanwhile, Torts does exactly that, and gets execrated for "singling people out". :)

Reactions: Monstershockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad