Post-Game Talk: GAME #35 - Canucks @ Oilers - March 30, 2013

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I dunno, seems contradictory to me. Wouldn't those people just continue the belief that we were winning inspite of the play infront of the goalie had the score been 1 (or 2) - 0 in favor of the Canucks?

I don't know. I think the team did some good things during that streak.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
They tightened up things defensively but IMHO, there was still too many games where the goalie essentially got us the two points. I didn't say much about it then given that at least it was progress from the previous stretch of games before the W's...

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
They tightened up things defensively but IMHO, there was still too many games where the goalie essentially got us the two points. I didn't say much about it then given that at least it was progress from the previous stretch of games before the W's...

Fair enough, I guess. But for this team to get anywhere, it's quite clear the MVP has to be the goalie.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I find it funny that once a game like this comes around the fans immediately say "Oh yeah, that 6 game winning streak was terrible, the goalies held the fort, the Canucks couldn't score enough, we played **** teams, etc." but if we had won yesterday, people would be singing a completely different tune.

We had not played good that entire win streak at all outside st. louis, the team was not fooling many fans if you read the reviews almost everyone seen the problems yet in those wins, and im pretty sure most of the posts commented that the team cant score, PP issues, it has been obvious even in a win, and in a loss. If you visit those teams boards we beat almost every game the common theme was they thought their team deserved the win over us.

When duchene and the avs complain they dominated you, and your goalie stole you a game, you know you got problems, they are not claiming that very often.

Last edited:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Yup. We scored first in all of them, Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen showed something and we got the kind of goaltending that we'll need to win in the playoffs. Garrison also elevated his game and showed he can be that guy on the PP imo.

Unfortunately it just hasn't all come together very ofter. Most of all our high paid defence that should be a strength has been outplayed by teams like Edmonton and Colorado that have clear weaknesses there. Until we can get more than one of our top 4 playing well in the same game, it'll be an uphill battle.

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Just pure embarrassing to be at this game. There were a tonne of Canucks fans at Rexall and we had nothing to do but sit and watch in disbelief as the freaking Edmonton Oilers took it to us with no lube.

I counted 3 legit scoring chances for us, but all game the Oilers dominated. Luongo made some outstanding saves. Saying that a game could have been 7 or 8-0 gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, Luongo took away 3 sure goals and the Oilers hit the post twice.

Disgusting effort by Vancouver...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wonder how bad his back really is. It's apparently something that's been bothering him for a couple years now.

I don't understand how players get cleared for games when they are clearly hurt. I mean, when I look at the depth I understand but all this is doing is destroying how players once played on our team.

Does anyone remember the last time Edler physically dominated a game?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It can't be just me and my buddies who think Edler is injured.

Sure he's no Grabner, but I don't remember him being THAT slow.

Yeah. I think it's gotta be his back that bugging him again/still. He just doesn't look the same.

After his suspension, i thought he actually looked like he had a bit more of his old jump back for a game, but it could've just been an illusion. Can't help but wonder if that bit of 'rest' helped things out though.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
I don't understand how players get cleared for games when they are clearly hurt. I mean, when I look at the depth I understand but all this is doing is destroying how players once played on our team.

Does anyone remember the last time Edler physically dominated a game?

Please tell me the any time Edler physically dominated a game that wasn't in the playoffs, not just one hit, but throughout the entire game.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sounds like more of the "getting ready for the playoffs" low event hockey crap that they were talking about last year. AKA "let's hope our goalie can steal us enough 1-0 or 2-1 games to win a round or two."

Yeah I don't know what it is with this team feeling the need to change the way they play once the playoffs roll around. Of course you have to be good defensively to have success but you shouldn't have to be so overly focused on it at the expense of any sort of attack.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'm almost at a 'just-make-the-playoffs-and-anything-can-happen' point right now. Hopefully we're healthy, but a trade of some sort to address scoring issues would certainly help things i think.

The offense needs to find it's killer instinct again, even when they do score it seems like they take their foot off the gas too often. Then again, when they press too hard they get caught a lot anyways, prime example the last game vs. the Hawks where they give up two clear breakaways on the powerplay(!?)

6 game winning streak speaks to the fact that they can pull it out of the fire and know how to win still, so that is good.

I hope Kassian isn't down for too long. I also think people are giving too much credit to the Sedins for him scoring those 5 goals. He can dominate and create his own chances for him or line mates when the big guy is on his game and confident. Just needs to bury chances more and get some momentum going imo, being at 100% health wise wouldn't hurt either probably.

It's one game. Let's see what they bring against San Jose, looking forward to seeing what Jensen looks like out there. Kind of nervous about the lineup, but if the Sedins and/or the Raymond-Shroeder-Hansen line play like they can then whatever it could quite easily be a W.

Who starts in net, that is what I wonder, and hopefully they bring it like they are both perfectly capable of doing. Also hopefully our defense doesn't give up multiple point blank chances and hang them out to dry.

This team needs to find it's swagger again. I will never count them out of the playoffs either. Not against the Hawks, Kings, Ducks or anyone. Maybe it is foolish to think and I am blinded by my fandom, but call me crazy I still believe in this group. Still 6-1 in their last 7. Just wish they would bring the intensity every night for 60 minutes.

And no more passing up shots at open nets. I'm looking at you Sedins, shoot that ****ing thing!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad