Post-Game Talk: GAME #35 - Canucks @ Oilers - March 30, 2013

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I thought the powerplay showed some signs of life today, but we're just missing that bomb from the point. Maybe not even a bomb, just a shot that gets through.

We as a team need to practice the art of the one-timer.

Also, unrelated to the PP, but Andrew Alberts is godawful.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Granted there are injuries right now, but they're also starting to sound a lot like last year's team:
That’s possibly why the Canucks are now among the few teams to ever call a meeting while in the midst of a six-game winning streak.

Canucks players gathered pre-game to urge each other to tighten things up even more leading into Thursday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche, who smelled more like a cupcake than a hockey team with ten road losses in a row.

Against this tired, slouching Avalanche group, the Canucks players wanted fewer risks, and fewer gaps. They got it. They also got fewer shots, and chances. Because of it they were badly outplayed for a huge chunk of the game.

At least the Canucks understand this has not been the most entertaining brand of hockey to watch, despite a run that has seen them win six games in a row.

"I'm the same way," Henrik said. "If I was going to put on a hockey game, I sure wouldn't watch some teams in this league.

"Fans, they want to see wins and they want to see goals. That's what they're here for.

"We're challenged right now offensively. It says a lot about this team that we can go on a run like this when we're scoring one or two goals.

"It can't be about scoring goals for us now. It has to be about winning as a team."

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Is it possible to patent the term "Goalie Meltdown" for our club exclusively?

I mean we've mastered it. Most goalies have good games, bad games, and okay games. We either have good games, or go into a fullscale meltdown.

Honestly. I know I shouldn't take this crap this seriously but how do you explain that performance out there?

I'd say you rally and come out swinging. Habs got thumped 6-0 by the Leafs and ended up rocking a 18/19 point streak. Sadly, Vancouver does not seem to have that step this year. If we rally at all, it will be another slow game with a grinded win.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd say you rally and come out swinging. Habs got thumped 6-0 by the Leafs and ended up rocking a 18/19 point streak. Sadly, Vancouver does not seem to have that step this year. If we rally at all, it will be another slow game with a grinded win.
The Habs record is very deceptive. I dont think there is anybody afraid of them in the playoffs or considers them an elite team.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
You know, the Preds let in 5 goals in 10 minutes just a few days ago but they still scored 4 goals by the end of the game.

I've said it time and time again - this team goes to the **** when our goalies aren't playing 100% and NEVER seem to bail out poor performances by either making it easier for them to stop shots or scoring some goals in support. If you score 3 unanswered goals against this team you're guaranteed an easy win because there's no fight back - we try to protect a lead that we wish we had!

Obviously most teams don't win when that happens, but winning 25% of the games is a lot better than winning 0% of them. That's why Boston won and we lost - because they were always there to bail Timmy T when he had stinkers, but we were never there when Luongo had his own.

Not only the compete level in those circumstances is pathetic, but the power play... what in the actual ****? Despite all the injuries we're still have a good 1st unit and have lots of "big shot" guys - we're not even having a particularly hard time enterting the zone, but nothing happens once we're in there - pass, pass, pass, turnover or shoot into logo/shinpads.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Granted there are injuries right now, but they're also starting to sound a lot like last year's team:

Those quotes scare me. A lot.

Sure, there are a few injuries right now...but we're missing ONE dynamic goal scorer (Kesler). That's it. The rest of the guys we're missing...have contributed only a handful of goals even when they weren't missing.

It feels like this team is resting on this excuse of, 'but injuries!!!' when the reality is, this team doesn't have enough scoring ability. There's no cavalry charging over the horizon, unless Gillis pulls off a miracle at the trade deadline. The team is simply not very good at scoring goals.

Booth is injured = 1g.
Weise is injured = 2g.
Kassian is injured = 5g, but essentially zip zero since that hot streak in the first two week with the Twins. And let's be realistic...even guys like Lappy have had a hot streak with the Twins. Kassian has longterm potential maybe...but right now, he's scoring less than Steve ****ing Bernier. :laugh:

Essentially...we have ONE key injury, and our goalscoring suffers this much? So much so that we have to alter the way we play to boring as paint drying lockdown defence from the drop of the puck with ZERO room for errors and rely on otherworldly goaltending?

I don't buy it. I mean, i buy that we have to play that kind of hockey to even stand a chance...but this idea that seems to surround that team that, 'when we get healthy' we'll start scoring again? It's crap. We're just not a team loaded with scoring depth, or the chemistry/composition to score at the rate we need to, if we want to be a dominant team again.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I thought the powerplay showed some signs of life today, but we're just missing that bomb from the point. Maybe not even a bomb, just a shot that gets through.

We as a team need to practice the art of the one-timer.

Also, unrelated to the PP, but Andrew Alberts is godawful.

I agree with this somewhat, the team has sucked at one timers for years, and alberts has been bad but gary valk keeps yelling av needs to play him more.

If we are missing a bomb from the point, then we have not been utilizing our players properly because that is the least of our worries.

I know people will claim we miss erhoff, salo, which is normal during the glory days when we dont play as well after, but we miss kesler.

I also find it disturbing how this team plays so hard but has packed in some games under av, this has been going on for awhile. We get credit playing hard, then we have complete meltdowns where we look ill prepared.

Last edited:

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Well that was just a nightmare of a game literally seeing it on replay. I'm glad I skipped it to sleep.

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
so how is it that Schneider lets in 2 goals and is kicked out right away, while Luongo lets in 8 yet he keeps on playing.

This is what i hate about AV. So inconsistent. I didn't watch the game but looked at the highlights, Luongo wasn't ready at all. I think he's clearly tuned out. From the highlights I watched, he looked so sluggish, and slow. I don't think he wants to get injured.

But anyways, really poor coaching. Should have kept Schneider in until the 3rd goal. Not fair to Luongo.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
so how is it that Schneider lets in 2 goals and is kicked out right away, while Luongo lets in 8 yet he keeps on playing.

This is what i hate about AV. So inconsistent. I didn't watch the game but looked at the highlights, Luongo wasn't ready at all. I think he's clearly tuned out. From the highlights I watched, he looked so sluggish, and slow. I don't think he wants to get injured.

But anyways, really poor coaching. Should have kept Schneider in until the 3rd goal. Not fair to Luongo.

You have to watch more than the highlights. Luongo actually made some big time saves. Score could easily have been 6 or 7 - 0 if Luongo didn't hold the fort.

Just an Oil fan's opinion of course.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I just love av post game, so predictable. "Give credit where credit is due" after every loss.

Never the team coming out flat footed, we just play amazing teams apparently and we need to give them credit.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Team just looks utterly gassed. No jump to their game. They definitely need some time off to re-coup.

This shortened season is really wearing on teams that play a high possession game. It requires a lot of work along the wall and forecheck, and that can wear players out fast.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Team just looks utterly gassed. No jump to their game. They definitely need some time off to re-coup.

This shortened season is really wearing on teams that play a high possession game. It requires a lot of work along the wall and forecheck, and that can wear players out fast.

This season is definitely an odd one but they really haven't played well going back to late last year. I think the team has just grown stale. Maybe it's the coaches and the system or maybe it's the fact that the team has plateaued.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Sounds like more of the "getting ready for the playoffs" low event hockey crap that they were talking about last year. AKA "let's hope our goalie can steal us enough 1-0 or 2-1 games to win a round or two."

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
This season is definitely an odd one but they really haven't played well going back to late last year. I think the team has just grown stale. Maybe it's the coaches and the system or maybe it's the fact that the team has plateaued.

Probably a bit of everything. For the last few years, a lot of the players have overachieved. Pretty much maxed out their potential. You know your team is doing well when you have alex burrows getting around 30 goals for a few seasons and kesler hits 40 goals in one season and the sedins have back-to-back art ross trophies. I just don't think they have it in them to pull those types of feats off for more than a few years. I think some of the chemistry that made this team so good is also gone. That will happen when you lose a guy like Ehrhoff and then Salo. Ehrhoff had a certain confidence and offensive flare to his game. Sometimes it's just the smallest changes that can make a big difference. Man, why couldn't the lightning have won that game 7 vs. the bruins. :(

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Sounds like more of the "getting ready for the playoffs" low event hockey crap that they were talking about last year. AKA "let's hope our goalie can steal us enough 1-0 or 2-1 games to win a round or two."

The sad part is fans bought into it. I am sure we will get posts today how our fan base overreacts, and we are fine just like last year.

President trophy winners (on the back of good goal tending lat year) and the kings were going to be easy.

If this six game win streak was in anyway impressive i might give them a mulligan, but it was not good.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Probably a bit of everything. For the last few years, a lot of the players have overachieved. Pretty much maxed out their potential. You know your team is doing well when you have alex burrows getting around 30 goals for a few seasons and kesler hits 40 goals in one season and the sedins have back-to-back art ross trophies. I just don't think they have it in them to pull those types of feats off for more than a few years. I think some of the chemistry that made this team so good is also gone. That will happen when you lose a guy like Ehrhoff and then Salo. Ehrhoff had a certain confidence and offensive flare to his game. Sometimes it's just the smallest changes that can make a big difference. Man, why couldn't the lightning have won that game 7 vs. the bruins. :(

Totally. I don't think there is any doubt that many of the Canucks hit their max potential in recent years and definitely over achieved.

Pseudonymous*

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 50s
The #Canucks have sent Zack Kassian to Chicago Wolves. "He needs to play," Vigneault says.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I find it funny that once a game like this comes around the fans immediately say "Oh yeah, that 6 game winning streak was terrible, the goalies held the fort, the Canucks couldn't score enough, we played **** teams, etc." but if we had won yesterday, people would be singing a completely different tune.

Dado

Healed, but strength not back yet, so basically a conditioning stint...?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I find it funny that once a game like this comes around the fans immediately say "Oh yeah, that 6 game winning streak was terrible, the goalies held the fort, the Canucks couldn't score enough, we played **** teams, etc." but if we had won yesterday, people would be singing a completely different tune.
I dunno, seems contradictory to me. Wouldn't those people just continue the belief that we were winning inspite of the play infront of the goalie had the score been 1 (or 2) - 0 in favor of the Canucks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->