GDT: Game 35: 12/18/2018 - Red Wings @ Flyers - 7:00 PM ET FS-D

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Why did Blash break up Glendening, Bert, and Ras? They were together for a shift late in the game and had great zone time and then they were split again.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
To be a bust, you have to fail to meet expectations. I don't seeing him failing expectations, I see a 19 year old rookie that was essentially forced onto the roster struggling just as I expected him to. So yeah it's disappointing that he's not making more of an impact but I don't think this season has been a bust.

He should be in the AHL and probably would be if he was allowed to be sent there. but it's better for him to be struggling in the big leagues against men than toiling around in the juniors against kids

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Him and Zadina needs at least 2 more years ,to know how good or bad they're

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
A loss isn't good, but it's positive to see some very young players stepping up this season (win or lose).

Simultaneously, we've got a vet or two, who aren't really that old for NHL players and who the Wings invested a lot in, who are playing as if they are ready for retirement already (not going to name any names). Are they playing injured?

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He does look more and more hesistant out on the ice, i'm not able to catch every game but he has looked worse each game. I dunno, i think it's just a mental thing though and he's probably overthinking a lot.

Too bad he can't be sent down to the AHL, i think he would benefit a lot from just finding his game and building confidence.

I don't know, I've been seeing new elements to his game which is impressive after 3 months. The G-B-R line the last month has been usually their best line. Rasmussen is holding the puck longer and engaging physically at every chance. He has slick hands. IT has gone up from 10-11 to 13, and I think it's deserved.

I'd rather watch young guys developing who have the flexibility to improve on a game-to game basis than Holland's horde of decrepit veterans. Someone was saying that leaving a space open to develop prospects in the NHL is smart idea, depending on the circumstances. The average NHL age is around 27 and I'm sure that number will drop as less players will be able to push into their 30's . That window of peak athletic ability has to be lowering too. It can take 5-7 years for top players to mature either way, but right now the Wings have the opportunity to get Hronek, Cholowski, Rasmussen (maybe Zadina) going at a younger age than previously afforded. If the veterans are doing nothing I say play the kids.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Gordon takes the helm for the Flyers. And they put out their rookie goaltender. You knew this was lining up for the L. Just shows Blash is just another AHL coach with now 4 seasons under his belt.

Clearly its Blash and not the fact that the Flyers have far more talent than the Wings have. Wings have won more than they should have and hopefully these last 2 games is a slide of close losses until the end of the season.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There will be games that this team wins when they shouldn't, whether it's the kids all catching fire for a night, or facing an opponent who doesn't bring their A game, or the goaltender occasionally standing on his head.

But the combination of talent level and key injuries on this roster should result in a bunch of losses, including some ugly ones. The fact that this one included Larkin, Cholowski, and Gustav "Hopefully I'm a Good Trade Chip" Nyquist all on the score sheet is a big plus.

Managed expectations...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Carter Hart is one of the top goaltending prospects in the world. Why is it surprising that he came in and played well?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Carter Hart is one of the top goaltending prospects in the world. Why is it surprising that he came in and played well?

What game were u watching he didnt play that well. Detroit didnt generate barely any high quality scoring chances. The ones they did ended up in the back of ths net.

Reactions: NEWing

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One of the worst games of the year, I have a feeling this season will end with many more games like this. The Wings don't have the talent to keep up that level of intensity they had for that short stretch.

That was a constant drumbeat during the better November by some of us. That December was going to be rough and that this team would find its way to the bottom five eventually no matter how herculean Larkin played there are just too many things to overcome. We have our annual Jimmy Howard injury as well now as it must be December on the calendar.

That is why it is important to enjoy the good games and the growth of some of the young guys. This is going to be a very bumpy season, we don't have depth to lose multiple guys at a time and it is showing. Honestly, not the worst thing long-term and there have been plenty of positives this year. We need the talent at the top of the draft, the guys are competing and growing. This is the season we need even if at times it hurts to watch. Dark Knight part of the rebuild.:laugh:

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I would suggest reading before posting! Seeing as how my last response was removed?? This season he has been a bust, I never said he was a bust over all!!!
Given his ice time and line mates, what were you expecting a successful season to look like?

chris05

May 23, 2013
How do you not win for over 20yrs in regulation?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coaching was the main contributor in yesterdays loss. the wings were out coached by the Flyers coach.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
coaching was the main contributor in yesterdays loss. the wings were out coached by the Flyers coach.

Any chance having a rebuilding roster that is missing 2/3rds of it's top line, it's #1 defenseman, and starting goalie had anything to do with it?

(And color me shocked after this nuanced take: looks like you use the term "Trashill" in bout 90% of your posts.)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
One of the worst games of the year, I have a feeling this season will end with many more games like this. The Wings don't have the talent to keep up that level of intensity they had for that short stretch.
They especially don't have the talent when several of their most talented players are out injured.

Green and Mantha are badly missed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It gives me weird deja vu seeing the name Carter Hart. Wasn't he the guy who wore sunglasses at night?
Corey, but still funny:

Sunglasses_at_Night_%28Corey_Hart_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What game were u watching he didnt play that well. Detroit didnt generate barely any high quality scoring chances. The ones they did ended up in the back of ths net.
That's what I saw too. Kind of crazy we too Givani Smith two picks before though. I hope he pans out.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Given his ice time and line mates, what were you expecting a successful season to look like?
Any thing at this point, he does not battle in front of the net, and that's what we where sold on him being. He has had a few good checks lately, Win some board battles maybe? Some reason why he was picked at 9. 9 out of 10 times on the ice he is a complete non factor. I feel at this point it would have been better for him to tear up the Q again this year and next see what he could do in the A. Right now all he is doing is treading water on a bad NHL roster.

Last edited:

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Ras needs to work on his skating. It’s the one thing I find concerning. Strength and winning battles will come as he gets adjusted but right now he’s a step behind everyone and that’s got to change. Still have high hopes for him as a great complimentary play on a skilled line. Like Hornqvist or better

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Any thing at this point, he does not battle in front of the net, and that's what we where sold on him being. He has had a few good checks lately, Win some board battles maybe? Some reason why he was picked at 9. 9 out of 10 times on the ice he is a complete non factor. I feel at this point it would have been better for him to tear up the Q again this year and next see what he could do in the A. Right now all he is doing is treading water on a bad NHL roster.
I mean if you want him to work on his physicality, the nhl is the place, not bullying kids in the Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad