GDT: Game 34: Sabres vs Bruins - 12/16 5pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Game Preview: 12/16/18 at Boston

Source: SabresDigitalPressBox.com

LAST GAME

Saturday, December 15
Buffalo 3 at Washington 4 (SO)
Goals: Eichel (2), Dahlin
Goalie: Hutton (35 saves/38 shots)
PP: 2/3; PK: 4/4; Shots: Washington 38 – Buffalo 28

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 129)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 33 games
Jake McCabe (upper body, Nov. 29; injured reserve) – 7 games
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 4 games
Lawrence Pilut (lower body, Dec. 15) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/12: Assigned D Matt Hunwick to Rochester (AHL) on a conditioning loan
12/15: Recalled D Matt Hunwick from his conditioning loan in Rochester (AHL); Activated D Marco Scandella from IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Dec. 18: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 21: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 22: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 27: Buffalo at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 29: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at BRUINS

• This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Bruins this season.
  • Last meeting: Boston defeated Buffalo 4-1 in Buffalo on Oct. 4
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Dec. 29 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Bruins; 4-4-2 at home.
  • This is the 291st game all-time between Buffalo and Boston; Buffalo has a 124-122-44 series record.
  • The Sabres are 50-72-21 on the road against the Bruins all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
  • The Sabres are 9-11-1 all-time on December 16.
  • December 16, 1976: Rick Martin scores three times in the second period to record his 18th hat trick as a member of the Sabres in a 7-2 Buffalo win against the New York Rangers.
  • December 16, 2011: Drew Stafford scores his 100th NHL goal in a 5-4 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
  • With wins in their last two visits to Boston, the Sabres are looking to win three straight road games against the Bruins for the first time since the 2005-06 season.
  • The Sabres are 6-3-2 against the Atlantic Division this season.
  • Jack Eichel enters tonight’s contest on a five-game point streak (7+2).
  • Jeff Skinner has points in five straight games (2+3) for the third time this season. He will look to extend his point streak to six games for the first time since he tallied points in seven straight from March 16 to 27, 2017.
  • Kyle Okposo has 25 points (7+18) in 32 career games against Boston, including 16 points (6+10) in the last 17 matchups.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Short time between b2b games with travel, broken D group that will probably feature Tennyson again unless Pilut and Hunwick are good to go.

Bruins 5 | Sabres 1
Hope I'm wrong.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
So our 2 biggest recent games against division rivals in the Leafs and Bruins come on B2B with us having played Nashville and Washington the night before.
Nice schedule NHL.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Hard to imagine we’ll be competitive after the minutes our big guys logged and having Hunwick and Tennyson in the lineup. Hopefully Pilut is ready.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So our 2 biggest recent games against division rivals in the Leafs and Bruins come on B2B with us having played Nashville and Washington the night before.
Nice schedule NHL.

Here is the breakdown of B2B situations vs division opps this season...

BOS - play tired once against a rested Bruins (tonight)
DET - they played with each team being on a 2nd night in a row, Buf won
FLA - played tired once against a rested Panthers team, Buf lost
MTL - neither team plays each other tired
OTT - Buf catches them tired once, they catch Buf tired once
TB - play tired once against Lightning
TOR - played tired against them and lost, play tired one more time, Leafs play tired against Buf the last game

So Buffalo plays tired against a division opp 6 times when the div opp is rested. Div opps play tired against a rested Buffalo only twice. Buf and Det played each other tired once and Buf won.

This could be another topic but I always wonder why there isn't a more precise format, at least for division games, to keep a balance. I remember analyzing this years ago and the disadvantage Buf had was massive.

Reactions: Kyndig and Mitts888

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Here is the breakdown of B2B situations vs division opps this season...

BOS - play tired once against a rested Bruins (tonight)
DET - they played with each team being on a 2nd night in a row, Buf won
FLA - played tired once against a rested Panthers team, Buf lost
MTL - neither team plays each other tired
OTT - Buf catches them tired once, they catch Buf tired once
TB - play tired once against Lightning
TOR - played tired against them and lost, play tired one more time, Leafs play tired against Buf the last game

So Buffalo plays tired against a division opp 6 times when the div opp is rested. Div opps play tired against a rested Buffalo only twice. Buf and Det played each other tired once and Buf won.

This could be another topic but I always wonder why there isn't a more precise format, at least for division games, to keep a balance. I remember analyzing this years ago and the disadvantage Buf had was massive.
I also wonder if the rash of injuries to our blueline is a function of how many games we have played in a short window. Many of which are battles till the end going to extra time OT or SO. I feel bad for them to be honest. I’m getting tired just watching!
They need a break!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I hope Dahlin is ready to play 60 minutes tonight. Just rotate his partner in. Unless Pilut is ready then they can each play 30.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's likely to play though, I would imagine. I doubt 82 is going today. So Hunwick steps in and likely partners with Tennyson. Risto, Bogo, Dahlin and Scandella all up around the 22-25 min mark....Risto might approach 30 again.

That Hunwick-Tennyson pairing idea has given me a facial tic. Lordy.

Reactions: dire wolf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad