Post-Game Talk: Game # 34 Rangers @ Capitals - 12pm - NBC

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I am beginning to think that there is real merit to the approach or perhaps personality theory that's been brought up. If the systems and player management didn't change under Knoblauch, then maybe it truly is Quinn's energy and the way he comes off to the team. But not dismissing that there were still real issues that were beneath some of Knoblauch's wins. It's like the substitute teacher effect.

Under Knob, Blackwell and Rooney looked like ECHL fodder. Quinn's first game back they're our best players lol. I think there might be something to that idea that Quinn's system works well for those grinder types.
The only other theory that I have left to sell is that Quinn is great for American players because of personality and culture and not as good for European players and Quebecois players. That one might go unsold even after Quinn's demise.

Reactions: will1066

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Sorry I had to watch on dvr
D_PnDZjUEAA3jHN.jpg
0528a1ae9cba32ae51484c3082e3cc9a.jpg

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The only other theory that I have left to sell is that Quinn is great for American players because of personality and culture and not as good for European players and Quebecois players. That one might go unsold even after Quinn's demise.

I think its more of a youngster/vet thing

Reactions: Tob

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Under Knob, Blackwell and Rooney looked like ECHL fodder. Quinn's first game back they're our best players lol. I think there might be something to that idea that Quinn's system works well for those grinder types.
This kind of discounts that both the first and second lines continue to try pretty passing plays. I don't subscribe to the idea that there's a leash. If Quinn really prized grinding, then the top 6 would get far fewer minutes based on how they played. And regardless of systems, they had multiple high danger chances today including odd man rushes where they failed to convert.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
back to Tankathon

although Yzerman’s temper tantrum puts a downer on it this year. Should have hired Don Maloney to speak up for us all those years.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And there was also a pkay with Chytil that could’ve netted both of them a point. Instead? Nada.
Once the rangers activate their defense, they are a different team. Yes we are young at the backend, but there is also a lot of talent there. He refuses to do it until we are down in the third. I realize you can give up an odd man rush the other way, but when it comes to the flow of the game and the puck possession the rangers have, the whole team looks way better and far more involved. I know we are young but he can’t wait until the last 15-20 min of a game to do this. Rangers had some bad luck, especially in the 2nd, but when your PP is so predictably bad, and everything on offensive has been stagnant for the first 20 let alone 40 min and you refuse to adapt, your shooting yourself in the foot. They could have tied this game if he acted earlier. Plus we are very young. Chalk it up to learning experience if you want, but IMO the coach has to realize the situation and change earlier then he did in this one.

Reactions: haveandare

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
This team is so damn mediocre, it's annoying. Either suck or be good. This
.500 crap is such a waste of time.

Reactions: bl02

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's almost like those young players are not relied upon and the vets are ridden.

Also valid, but the vets are ridden because the kids aren't ready yet. Its the same as the criticism if Blackwell getting minutes, if you want to get more minutes, earn them, Quinn would love nothing more than for Laf or Kakko to both steal top 6 spots, and Gorton would love it even more as he could move pieces to fill holes ie Buch. I still love Kakko and Lafreniere as prospects, but they need to get this year over with, get a real offseason, preseason and start to a regular season to be ready, this year was a pile of poo. I would however like for Laf to slip into Kreiders spot from time to time though now that Zib is going again and I think that will happen if we fall far enough out of the playoffs

Reactions: CLW and will1066

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Look I don't want to pile on Quinn unnecessarily. Realistically I understand that he was still involved under Knoblauch, and that this is just a young, inconsistent team. And that the Caps came to play today.

But it's really hard to watch this one, especially the first two periods, in contrast with the last 6, and not wonder if he is helping or hurting the situation at this point.
Quinn is far to rigid when it comes to his game plan. Yes him and Knoblauch both run the same system, but they both interpret the flow of the game differently. I’m not saying knobby is far better then Quinn at interpreting the flow of the game but the defense was far more involved in our last run of games. They came on too late in this one when the caps took their foot off the gas. Then Washington clamped down. That’s what good teams do. We really didn’t have a shot to tie this thing. They did have some bad puck luck in the 2nd but at least they didn’t roll over and quit when they definitely could have. That’s a plus I guess

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This team is so damn mediocre, it's annoying. Either suck or be good. This
.500 crap is such a waste of time.
Some of this has to be laid at Gorton's feet. He gave Quinn this team. Some of it through lottery luck and the good fortune of getting Panarin who wanted to come here. Then there's the curiosity that is Kreider, now here for the long term. You've got the revelation of Fox counterbalanced by a hugely underwhelming Trouba. Laf and Kakko situations are not different from getting surprise children entering your life. Now you've got a couple of extra mouths to feed if you're Quinn. We're simply not in a classic rebuild situation. Quinn is in a rough situation trying to juggle multiple objectives. In a way, management should have just said let's fold and truly start from the bottom, not doing this hybrid let's try and rebuild on the fly and remain competitive and make the playoffs. The Oilers have gone through, what, five head coaches in the past 7-8 years in perpetual rebuild mode? Ironically Quinn might be gone sooner than later too.

Last edited:

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
That Trouba contract is really going to hurt in a long run. Have to trade some good players to pay a mediocre 2nd pair D. And I think flat cap has nothing to do with the fact that Troubas contract looks bad. Panarins contract still looks ok dispite the flat cap era.

And it's not like he has had no chances. He gets his pp time, ton of prime scoring opportunities, and nothing to show for. I expect Fox like point production or at the very least elite Defense from a 8 million cap D. It was a mistake signing that contract but we just have to live with it now.

Trouba’s a donkey. In 3 years his wife’s residency will be over and they together will decide where to locate themselves, since her career is more important than his (no snark). Maybe Florida since they already own property there and the tax advantages. Probably going to have to eat 50% hopefully not have to throw in a kid, too.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Some of this has to be laid at Gorton's feet. He gave Quinn this team. Some of it through lottery luck and the good fortune of getting Panarin who wanted to come here. Then there's the curiosity that is Kreider, now here for the long term. You've got the revelation of Fox counterbalanced by a hugely underwhelming Trouba. Laf and Kakko situations are not different from getting surprise children entering your life. Now you've got a couple of extra mouths to feed if you're Quinn. We're simply not in a classic rebuild situation. Quinn is in a rough situation trying to juggle multiple objectives. In a way, management should have just said let's fold and truly start from the bottom, not doing this hybrid let's try and rebuild on the fly and remain competitive and make the playoffs. The Oilers have gone through, what, five head coaches in the past 7-8 years in perpetual rebuild mode? Ironically Quinn might be gone sooner than later too.
No matter what you do trying to rebuild, there’s a period in the middle. Every team that has successfully rebuilt has a stop at middling, some shorter or longer than others. You don’t go directly from worst in the league to contenders very often if ever

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
For me, he's just quite limited.

I see the athletic package but in terms of hockey skill, does he shoot particularly well? Not really. He's a very bad passer. He sort of has good hands in the sense that he can deke but also sort of doesn't in the sense that he doesn't handle passes well.

Kreider was also a guy who came up a great athlete without great skills, but I don't think Chytil has the hockey IQ or the edge Kreider has to play a game that accentuates his strengths.

I know he had an injury and covid, but he's going to be 22 next season. That's going to be his last chance to show us what he really is.

i see a guy who could be a valuable piece, but i agree the offensive iq is atrocious- and lately he's been doing way too much of the things hes the worst at...just a black hole of possession / offense. he's got great speed, a good shot, and has quick hands around the net...but he is just horrible carrying the puck and he continues to try and dangle guys one on one. it happens multiple times a game and its a turnover every single time - the consistency is remarkable, he has no concept of using his edges to slow play down entering the zone, he doesn't use linemates or read the play as it develops...he's got to learn to use his strengths. he can beat guys wide with speed, he can be used for set dump ins that create a race, he can dump and chase etc, like hes got the toolbox to be a solid player when he plays to his strengths..because defensively he has value. i think he could be a very good 3c long term, he's got size and skating to match up with anyone and does compete with pretty good awareness on that side of the puck, and he was strong on it although post hand injury return that has been much less apparent which is understandable. if i'm mgmt thats the long term vision for him at the moment, don't see much chance he outperforms that offensively into a 2c, you can't add hockey iq in the gym - its there or its not at an early age. but you can be coached to understand your strengths, develop physically what maximizes those, and then ideally find a line/role that plays to them - with his blend of size / speed / some skill you have a fairly rare asset and he's still so young. just because a lack of iq makes becoming a higher end offensive guy look bleak shouldn't mean he's a writeoff...theres a lot there thats pretty hard to find and a lot of time to leg into how/where thats best used.

Reactions: Machinehead

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
i see a guy who could be a valuable piece, but i agree the offensive iq is atrocious- and lately he's been doing way too much of the things hes the worst at...just a black hole of possession / offense. he's got great speed, a good shot, and has quick hands around the net...but he is just horrible carrying the puck and he continues to try and dangle guys one on one. it happens multiple times a game and its a turnover every single time - the consistency is remarkable, he has no concept of using his edges to slow play down entering the zone, he doesn't use linemates or read the play as it develops...he's got to learn to use his strengths. he can beat guys wide with speed, he can be used for set dump ins that create a race, he can dump and chase etc, like hes got the toolbox to be a solid player when he plays to his strengths..because defensively he has value. i think he could be a very good 3c long term, he's got size and skating to match up with anyone and does compete with pretty good awareness on that side of the puck, and he was strong on it although post hand injury return that has been much less apparent which is understandable. if i'm mgmt thats the long term vision for him at the moment, don't see much chance he outperforms that offensively into a 2c, you can't add hockey iq in the gym - its there or its not at an early age. but you can be coached to understand your strengths, develop physically what maximizes those, and then ideally find a line/role that plays to them - with his blend of size / speed / some skill you have a fairly rare asset and he's still so young. just because a lack of iq makes becoming a higher end offensive guy look bleak shouldn't mean he's a writeoff...theres a lot there thats pretty hard to find and a lot of time to leg into how/where thats best used.
I would have attempted to read this if there were paragraphs. True story. :D

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
I just don't understand the call for Shesty against Philly, who we were abusing the last two games and Kinkaid against the #2 best team in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I missed the game due to work.
Question.. Why did this knucklehead start Kinkaid instead of Igor?

Seasons half way done and he still can't get the goalie situation right

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Yeah he is trying to deke his way to goals when there are corners to be picked.
That is we’re a real coach can show him the way. Quinn i DONT think is incapable of it. I think Quinn is so overwhelmed that he doesn’t see it. And if he does, he thinks it’s down on the list of things to correct

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad