Post-Game Talk: Game #33 Rangers @ Flyers Saturday, March 27th 1:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
It's a bit worrisome that management seems to be content with seeing some of the worst statistical rookie seasons happen two years in a row now for us. They better be looking at coaches available for next season.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's a bit worrisome that management seems to be content with seeing some of the worst statistical rookie seasons happen two years in a row now for us. They better be looking at coaches available for next season.

I feel like I've seen Kakko make a few nice plays lately but it seems like Panarin has had his head up his ass the last couple of games.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I'm literally not blaming Igor, just disheartened by him playing the best game of his career and giving up a goal late. For whatever reason he seems to have not been able to finish these types of games most of his (albeit young) career.
And he can't seal a shutout either. That's my only criticism of him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else get queasy, any time a defenseman was on the ice not named Fox or Lindgren this game? Miller's game has fallen off the face of the earth. That said, until these last two games the Rangers had 10 straight games of allowing fewer than 30 shots. The D has been shaky at times but still passable.

Reactions: Circus86

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah and we need to not be under siege all game. That's why Shesty was last person to blame, but I want to see him finish these games once in a while. His skill is absolutely elite. I think on par with Hank for the most part. The mental game isn't there quite yet. Though I do think Hank had his own issues early in his career and in the playoff at times.

One thing I'll say that Igor does better than Hank early in their careers is not let the game get away from him. Hank would have 10 games where he allowed 10 goals and then would just have a game against Montreal where he'd allow 6. Shesterkin's floor is insanely high. I think he's had like 2 or 3 truly bad games in his young career. I just want to see that ceiling where we win games where we're dominated. It's close, but not there yet.

Igor has only gotten back from injury, only let two goals to a team that got embarrassed in back to back games, i think he did pretty damn good today myself, top 3 ranger today.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Shesty literally stood on his head today. I can't believe he's the one being criticized right now.

If Aaron Rodgers has 400 yards and 4 TDs but throws a game killing pick late he'll be criticized. Igor's not Rodgers but he's an elite level talent, I'd even say an all time great level talent. I would venture to say that he's been better than Hank this early in his career. I feel like Hank had more bad games in his career early on. But yeah, he was least culpable but due to his talent the criticism is outsized. It was the same with Hank for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
It's a shame Gorton couldn't find a legitimate 6/7d available in free agency...so damn tired of seeing Smith out there.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If Aaron Rodgers plays has 400 yards and 4 TDs but throws a game killing pick late he'll be criticized. Igor's not Rodgers but he's an elite level talent, I'd even say an all time great level talent. I would venture to say that he's been better than Hank this early in his career. I feel like Hank had more bad games in his career early on. But yeah, he was least culpable but due to his talent the criticism is outsized. It was the same with Hank for me.

But if Hank had more bad games early on in his career and ended up being Hank, what’s the point in getting so upset about Shesty at this stage in his development. He’s clearly a fantastic goalie who will be just fine going forward. Let him have these games now, rather than when we’re competing.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
But if Hank had more bad games early on in his career and ended up being Hank, what’s the point in getting so upset about Shesty at this stage in his development. He’s clearly a fantastic goalie who will be just fine going forward. Let him have these games now, rather than when we’re competing.

Fair point, but it's 2021 and I want a playoff berth, I think this team is a playoff team and yet they're 6th in their division behind a team that's like 30 goals worse than them in +/-. Losing games in the final 5 minutes all season is demoralizing. How many wins like that do we have? 1?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Fair point, but it's 2021 and I want a playoff berth, I think this team is a playoff team and yet they're 6th in their division behind a team that's like 30 goals worse than them in +/-. Losing games in the final 5 minutes all season is demoralizing. How many wins like that do we have? 1?

This team’s not a playoff team. The conversation is dumb. We had a little hot streak. We have a do nothing rookie in Laf, a do good but don’t produce sophomore in Kakko, a do mediocre third year Chytil, career AHLers Rooney and Blackwell as regulars, maybe a 6/7 Hajek and #7/sometimes forward Smith. Making the playoffs would be utterly pointless and shouldn’t be the focus. Cohesion and growth should be. There’s way too many holes.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This team’s not a playoff team. The conversation is dumb. We had a little hot streak. We have a do nothing rookie in Laf, a do good but don’t produce sophomore in Kakko, a do mediocre third year Chytil, career AHLers Rooney and Blackwell as regulars, maybe a 6/7 Hajek and #7/sometimes forward Smith. Making the playoffs would be utterly pointless and shouldn’t be the focus. Cohesion and growth should be. There’s way too many holes.

Yeah, you can look at the negatives. But we also have three of the best players in the NHL in Fox, Panarin, and Mika. We have a legit top 6. We also have one of the best young goalies in the NHL, albeit one that frustrates me sometimes. I said playoff team not cup contender. They have a +/- that's on par with any team in the east other than the Islanders. Our +/- is +16, and the second best in the east is +19. And I know I'll hear "well they have a 9-0 win against the Flyers". that's one game and I don't see anyone else beating the Flyers 9-0. Why does that get to be excluded. If we beat them 6-0, and beat another team by 4 instead of 1, would that make them a much better team?

Reactions: Captain Lindy

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Then put me on ignore. I have a right to post my opinion just as much as anyone. Not my fault our goalie is a f***ing mental midget that can't help giving up shitty goals in the third when he's playing the game of his career. The guy is not a big situation goalie. Very good goalie, not someone we'll ever win with.
And Hank was someone we won it with?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yeah, you can look at the negatives. But we also have three of the best players in the NHL in Fox, Panarin, and Mika. We have a legit top 6. We also have one of the best young goalies in the NHL, albeit one that frustrates me sometimes. I said playoff team not cup contender. They have a +/- that's on par with any team in the east other than the Islanders. Our +/- is +16, and the second best in the east is +19. And I know I'll hear "well they have a 9-0 win against the Flyers". that's one game and I don't see anyone else beating the Flyers 9-0. Why does that get to be excluded. If we beat them 6-0, and beat another team by 4 instead of 1, would that make them a much better team?

They’re not even a playoff team. It’s like Edmonton with McDavid and Draisaitl lite. Sure we have Fox and a good young goalie, but it’s the same concept. The two best players in the world have barely managed to get Edmonton into the playoffs. The roster simply isn’t complete enough that we should be focusing on the playoffs. That’s not even me focusing on negatives. That’s just acknowledging a step in the process. Rooney, Blackwell, Smith, Hajek perhaps all need to be replaced by guys like Barron, Kravstov, Lundkvist, Robertson, the kids already in the lineup need to get better. We may need to add a veteran bottom six (read: NHL bottom six, not career AHLer) and a LHD stop gap. This isn’t the year to prioritize playoffs. We should be working on figuring out who has the best chemistry, who fits where, who may be expendable and developing more cohesion.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, I know now the Canadians are having a blast shitting on the east and it's significantly worse than we thought BUT I'd still say the top of this division is significantly better than any other division. Ironically the only other division we would be in this much trouble of missing out is the North. The west and central I'd be super confident we could make the playoffs. Boston is significantly better than any other 4 seed. Only team in the conversation is Montreal but they're a paper tiger.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad