GDT: Game 33: Flames @ Coyotes - FSAZ - 7PM

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I dunno..... should I draw a picture here???

If it helps, go for it. You're complaining a goalie didn't stop what was essentially a breakaway chance off a defensive lapse. I want to hear why it's his fault.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Terrible stuff tonight. Defense sucked... goaltending was not good either, imo.

Even the puck luck wasn't quite there for the Yotes. H

Grabner almost score but then Oesterle turn it over for a goal against right after was a pretty accurate summation of the game right off the bat.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Dvorak-Schmaltz-Fischer line is great.

Keller showed some giddy up tonight too. Seemed interested.

OEL did not at all. He retired from hockey and forgot to tell anyone. Chychrun

Chychrun is the best non-goalie on our team.

Raanta is not as good as Kuemper and is bound to have a season ending injury any day now. Sell high! Sell high! Sell high!

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I dunno..... should I draw a picture here???
I really dont see any value in arguing about it, as you clearly saw the play very differently than I did. I honestly felt like the Lucic goal was the only other one that could be considered less "his fault". Getting beat off the draw on what appeared to be an unobstructed shot from Gaudreau (nice wave of the leg, Chychrun) and getting beat short side by Monahan both seemed eminently more stoppable. Rinaldo's goal was bang-bang but he was in position and it basically went through him, ie. also very stoppable.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
I'm hoping Raanta gets in better form. He's looked pretty shaky. First 2 goals were tough but he really gets rattled after giving up a couple. Things really aren't panning out how he probably imagined our would have liked these last 2 seasons. Hoping he can compete with Kemps and truly provides us with the stability we need in net while our D gets healed up.

Reactions: Edenjung

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really dont see any value in arguing about it, as you clearly saw the play very differently than I did. I honestly felt like the Lucic goal was the only other one that could be considered less "his fault". Getting beat off the draw on what appeared to be an unobstructed shot from Gaudreau (nice wave of the leg, Chychrun) and getting beat short side by Monahan both seemed eminently more stoppable. Rinaldo's goal was bang-bang but he was in position and it basically went through him, ie. also very stoppable.

Whether a goalie gets a piece of a shot or not isn't relevant as to whether or not he should have 'had it' or 'taken it' yadda yadda.

Teams coach their defense to do two things:
1.) Under no circumstances should you willingly give a breakaway/unlimited time and space to an opposing player
2.) If possible, protect the house and limit high danger chances.

The Coyotes are usually pretty good at #2, because Demers is very good at it (one of the best in the league) and has been for years. It's his calling card. Hjalmarsson too. It's how they earn their keep.

What you saw tonight is what happens when Calgary gets A+ high danger scoring chances and manages to convert on damn near all of them. Any player uncovered close to the net is a major, major problem for a goalie. The defense tonight was just abysmal.

On the goal in question, it comes off Rinaldo's stick (the passer) and is in the back of the net in the span of 1 second of the game clock. By the time Raanta is set, Frolik has already made his move - he cuts into the defense and goes backhand, using Raanta's sideways momentum against him. By the time Raanta is set, it doesn't even matter, because Frolik is already partially through his move:

AmsBtXX.jpg

Raanta is one of the fastest side to side goalies in the league. Kuemper ain't stopping that. Oesterle played zero defense, not even really contesting Rinaldo. Raanta can't leave the post and 'cheat' because then the shooter just puts it in short side. In a 2v1, you take away the pass and hope your goalie makes the save. Here, they take away nothing AND let the pass happen. Ness wasn't even in position to play defense because it was such an awful turnover that lead to this entire sequence.

This is the type of trash bad teams like Detroit do all the time. It wouldn't matter who they have in goal, they'd look awful tonight.

2nd goal - same thing, Raanta moves to the left to play the percentages because he cannot see the puck thanks to Chychrun, Crouse doesn't really even contest the shot. No chance. Goalie just guessing on a shot like this. Faceoffs f***ing matter.

3rd goal - one timer from the slot that Goligoski makes no real effort to defend. Probably the best goal Raanta has a 'chance' at but it's still just a guess, Rinaldo has all kinds of places he can put the puck from this distance.

4th goal - Monahan uncontested from below the faceoff circle. This is like warmups for him. I expect no goalie to make a save on such a chance.

5th goal - designed play to Lucic at the side of the net for a tip in, literally nothing a goalie can do. Utter failure by the PK leaving Lucic alone. Why can't our PP do this?

Every goal heavily favored the shooter. The Coyotes were abysmal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Two on one.... Oesterle took the puck handler. Raanta has to take the other guy and got pulled out of his shorts.
Look how the play started. Oesterle gave it up. That was a great move on Raanta, hell of a goal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Whether a goalie gets a piece of a shot or not isn't relevant as to whether or not he should have 'had it' or 'taken it' yadda yadda.

Teams coach their defense to do two things:
1.) Under no circumstances should you willingly give a breakaway/unlimited time and space to an opposing player
2.) If possible, protect the house and limit high danger chances.

The Coyotes are usually pretty good at #2, because Demers is very good at it (one of the best in the league) and has been for years. It's his calling card. Hjalmarsson too. It's how they earn their keep.

What you saw tonight is what happens when Calgary gets A+ high danger scoring chances and manages to convert on damn near all of them. Any player uncovered close to the net is a major, major problem for a goalie. The defense tonight was just abysmal.

On the goal in question, it comes off Rinaldo's stick (the passer) and is in the back of the net in the span of 1 second of the game clock. By the time Raanta is set, Frolik has already made his move - he cuts into the defense and goes backhand, using Raanta's sideways momentum against him. By the time Raanta is set, it doesn't even matter, because Frolik is already partially through his move:

AmsBtXX.jpg

Raanta is one of the fastest side to side goalies in the league. Kuemper ain't stopping that. Oesterle played zero defense, not even really contesting Rinaldo. Raanta can't leave the post and 'cheat' because then the shooter just puts it in short side. In a 2v1, you take away the pass and hope your goalie makes the save. Here, they take away nothing AND let the pass happen. Ness wasn't even in position to play defense because it was such an awful turnover that lead to this entire sequence.

This is the type of trash bad teams like Detroit do all the time. It wouldn't matter who they have in goal, they'd look awful tonight.

2nd goal - same thing, Raanta moves to the left to play the percentages because he cannot see the puck thanks to Chychrun, Crouse doesn't really even contest the shot. No chance. Goalie just guessing on a shot like this. Faceoffs ****ing matter.

3rd goal - one timer from the slot that Goligoski makes no real effort to defend. Probably the best goal Raanta has a 'chance' at but it's still just a guess, Rinaldo has all kinds of places he can put the puck from this distance.

4th goal - Monahan uncontested from below the faceoff circle. This is like warmups for him. I expect no goalie to make a save on such a chance.

5th goal - designed play to Lucic at the side of the net for a tip in, literally nothing a goalie can do. Utter failure by the PK leaving Lucic alone. Why can't our PP do this?

Every goal heavily favored the shooter. The Coyotes were abysmal.
Good post. We have become accustomed watching our goalies play way "above average" and make saves they had no business making. Tonight, Raanta played well but luck was not on his side.

Reactions: Name Nameless

rt

May 13, 2004
Correct. Three AHL D in our line up tonight, and it showed.
That’s right. Calling them a #7, #8 and #9 is honestly far too generous.

It’s especially a problem when OEL has show zero signs of life this entire season. Does he even speak to the media? He’s invisible on and off the ice. A non-entity. A shell. What the f*** happened to this player? Can we get a refund? He’s asleep. I wish Rick Tocchet would kick him a few times. He needs his coach to kick him.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
It’s especially a problem when OEL has show zero signs of life this entire season. Does he even speak to the media? He’s invisible on and off the ice. A non-entity. A shell. What the **** happened to this player? Can we get a refund? He’s asleep. I wish Rick Tocchet would kick him a few times. He needs his coach to kick him.

That would get Tocchet fired but apparently firing the coach sparks teams to go on winning streaks. Let the player kicking begin!

rt

May 13, 2004
I just checked the Coyotes site. OEL hasn’t been in front of a camera for three weeks. Did Shane Doan ever go more than three days? I feel like he answered for every single loss. Where is Oliver?

If they had replaced him with Kevin Ekman-Larsson a month ago, would anyone have noticed?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hard to imagine that Capo isn't one of the 6 best D options right now. The RHD/LHD mix is important, but more important is getting our 6 best Dmen on the ice.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I just checked the Coyotes site. OEL hasn’t been in front of a camera for three weeks. Did Shane Doan ever go more than three days? I feel like he answered for every single loss. Where is Oliver?
This is a good point, and it's worrying. I'd like someone poke around and get some answers. It's one thing to not show up on the ice, but a captain should at least be available to the media and speak to the fans.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Let's be honest, Shane Doan set the captain's bar so high that I don't know a single player in our system (or even expats from our system like Domi) who would be able to reach it. That's because Doaner was probably the highest-character hockey player I've ever known.

Who on the roster could match him? I like Demers for his goofiness and easygoing personality, but he's more court jester a la Bissonnette than a leader. Stepan might have been a candidate... back when he gave two sh*ts about his career, that is. Dvorak? Too young, and probably a bit too private of a guy to play the extrovert in public. Crouse has been a captain before but I don't know what he's like in the room here.

The thing is, we have a lot of good and skilled players, but what we don't have is a player who carries a team with the force of his personality. And right now OEL's personality is detached and uninterested, which doesn't bode well down the road.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
OEL is a fine captain. All he did in his first season as captain filling some incredibly big shoes was win the King Clancy. Honestly I think it's unfair to question leadership when we're not in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad