GDT: Game 33 - CBJ vs WSH - 16 Dec, 7pm, @Nat

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's got a 2.17 GAA and .924 save percentage in his last 17 games. Over the course of the season only 3 goalies have better GAAs and that save percentage is right around top ten. Elvis is playing behind the same defense and, is well, not doing as well.
And let’s all remember Korpisalo wasn’t very good when he played once every two weeks behind Bob as well.

Regular playing time goes a long way for people. How many people on the Korpisalo bandwagon now hated him last season? I bet it was most people on here.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You mean “leave it to one fan who must be Elvis’s mom and has an agenda...”

I will offer many taps of the stick to bus88 for his insistence that Korpisalo would be a different goalie when used as a starter. At this point, it appears that he was correct about this.

Korpisalo was aggressively challenging Ovechkin. That's not a strategy that too many goalies employ. It worked to a "T" last night.

I will not, -I told you so- that much, as the team needs to continue to get points quite a bit more often than they have been at this point. As I have said in the past, Korpisalo IS THE REAL DEAL.

The reason I add Dogs post is that I find it funny, as not very long ago somebody made a comment about me being a family member or friend of Korpisalo, and it was LIKED by more than a few people. That along with the early season goalie poll and feelings MOST people expressed towards both Koripsalo and Merzlikins should not be simply forgotten.

Not only is Korpisalo a good goalie at the NHL level, but, Merzlikins is terrible.

What is the explanation of the opinion that Merzlikins > Korpisalo in ANY WAY, again....?

Reactions: CBJ AZ goalie

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And let’s all remember Korpisalo wasn’t very good when he played once every two weeks behind Bob as well.

Regular playing time goes a long way for people. How many people on the Korpisalo bandwagon now hated him last season? I bet it was most people on here.

I'm sorry, and excuse me, but, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

THE NUMBERS DONT LIE!! Merzlikins sucks!!!

I've been told you literally cant argue anything different for multiple years.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"The grass is always greener"

Especially if it's a young, unproven hockey player being discussed on HFBoards.

Pretty much.

The whole, "we know what Korpisalo is and don't know what Merzlikins is", changed pretty quickly didn't it?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Pretty much.

The whole, "we know what Korpisalo is and don't know what Merzlikins is", changed pretty quickly didn't it?

I think it was more along the lines of "we know what Korpisalo has been and don't know what Merzlikins will be" and there was more optimism around the unknown than the known. Whether the criticism of Korp was fair/accurate or not is a different question, but I don't think it was wildly unreasonable to hope that Elvis would perform better than Korp had, at least statistically.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think it was more along the lines of "we know what Korpisalo has been and don't know what Merzlikins will be" and there was more optimism around the unknown than the known. Whether the criticism of Korp was fair/accurate or not is a different question, but I don't think it was wildly unreasonable to hope that Elvis would perform better than Korp had, at least statistically.

One of the things that I said before the year was that we knew the CBJ starting goalie would have better numbers than Korpisalo did last year. Either because Korpi himself would improve/run with it, or he’d stay the same and Elvis would (probably) be better. Korpi has improved his consistency from last year. Whether that’s due to actual improvement in his game, being able to get into more of a rhythm with increased minutes or a combination of both, he is better than he was last year, which is what we needed from whomever ended up being our starter.

I still have hope in Elvis and still think his ceiling is higher than Korpi’s but I’m starting to get afraid he’ll never reach his full potential. He needs minutes, and (after recent play by both, perhaps rightly) isn’t getting them in Columbus. I think he made a very poor decision not going to Cleveland. I would love for him to get some time there. I’m afraid soon that VV may pass him up if he doesn’t see more puck in game action.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Question for anyone who was at the game...

On the scoreboard they asked a trivia question and it still is bothering me as to whether they got the answer wrong or I read the question incorrectly.

I thought the question was "when did the NHL institute the shootout". Two of the options were 1994 and 2005. I of course was sure it was 2005 but I believe the answer they said was correct was 1994. Anyone else at the game catch this? Is my reading comprehension off or did the CBJ just let Jeff Rimer handle the trivia question that night?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Question for anyone who was at the game...

On the scoreboard they asked a trivia question and it still is bothering me as to whether they got the answer wrong or I read the question incorrectly.

I thought the question was "when did the NHL institute the shootout". Two of the options were 1994 and 2005. I of course was sure it was 2005 but I believe the answer they said was correct was 1994. Anyone else at the game catch this? Is my reading comprehension off or did the CBJ just let Jeff Rimer handle the trivia question that night?

That’s how that sham went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad