BRUINS GDT Game 33 7:07 PM - It don't get easier - at Tampa - NESN, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2019-12-12_8-2-41.png

upload_2019-12-12_8-3-54.png

amalie-arena.png

The Tampa Bay Lightning righted a tough start to the week on Tuesday night in South Florida, but an even greater test within the Atlantic Division looms Thursday, when they host the Boston Bruins.

The Lightning beat the Florida Panthers 2-1 in Sunrise, Fla., on Tuesday behind goals from Steven Stamkos and Alex Killorn, but one major factor was the play of goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy.

The reigning Vezina Trophy winner outdueled his Russian counterpart Sergei Bobrovsky -- a two-time winner of the award -- as Tampa Bay bounced back from a 5-1 home loss to the New York Islanders on Monday.

Vasilevskiy turned aside 27 shots by the Panthers while Bobrovsky tallied a season-high 46 saves. The only shot to beat Vasilevskiy was Evgenii Dadonov's goal with two minutes remaining and Bobrovsky pulled in favor of the extra attacker.

Killorn added an assist for the Lightning, who improved to 8-5-2 on the road this season.

According to Lightning coach Jon Cooper, much of the success was a commitment to defense.

"Part of playing defense can start 200 feet away," Cooper said. "If you're going to put up close to 50 shots and spend some time in their zone, it limits how much you're in your own zone."

Oddly, the Lightning -- four games deep into a stretch of 10 of 12 at home -- are just 1-4-0 in their past five games in downtown Tampa.

They return there for a battle of heavyweights within the Eastern Conference on Thursday when they face the Bruins, who sit atop the Atlantic Division standings but have lost four games in a row (0-3-1)
The Bruins played Wednesday in the first of back-to-back road tilts against two of the conference's top teams. Boston lost 3-2 to the Washington Capitals, rallying to tie it 2-2 but giving up the winning goal to John Carlson in the third period.

Sharpshooter David Pastrnak netted his league-leading 26th goal in the first period before T.J. Oshie scored twice in the second to put the Capitals up 2-1, but Sean Kuraly's deflection leveled the score.

The Bruins muddled their way through a 0-for-5 showing on the power play.

The best news for Boston may have been seeing more of center Patrice Bergeron, who returned to the lineup Monday night in the club's 5-2 road loss to the Ottawa Senators. The top-line pivot missed seven games with a lower-body injury.

"I was trying to keep things simple early on, and then I got going, felt better, got my legs underneath me and felt pretty good," said Bergeron, who scored his ninth goal in his first game back.

Boston hasn't won since a 2-0 blanking of the Carolina Hurricanes on Dec. 3.

No. 1 netminder Tuukka Rask is expected to be in net on Thursday in the second of four meetings between the Bruins and Lightning. Tampa Bay won 4-3 in a shootout at Boston on Oct. 17.

The Bruins will conclude their four-game road swing with a stop Saturday night against the Panthers.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Team has looked sloppy and uninspired the last few games I watched. Definitely in a rut, but they'll figure it out. Wondering if they are hitting a wall and some Cup fatigue is setting in?

If things don't change soon, I'd start to consider calling up a couple kids from Providence and playing them while resting a couple vets. Get some new energy in the lineup.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The Bruins played well last night but these ridiculous decisions on the offside challenges are literally costing points. The team is as close to healthy as it has been in months so how about starting to roll again? It is almost like they play better when they are down a handful of players. I'm glad there is a cushion for them while they figure things out.

GO BRUINS!!!!!!

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Team has looked sloppy and uninspired the last few games I watched. Definitely in a rut, but they'll figure it out. Wondering if they are hitting a wall and some Cup fatigue is setting in?

If things don't change soon, I'd start to consider calling up a couple kids from Providence and playing them while resting a couple vets. Get some new energy in the lineup.

For what it's worth, the Blues have also lost three in a row and are in a middling 5-4-1 stretch. Ruts come with the territory after short summers, better now than in mid-April.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
32 games into the season, there are only 3 instances where they've only won or lost 1 game, followed by the opposite result in the next game (i.e. one-off wins and losses).

They've had two 4 game losing streaks, one 8 game win streak, and one 6 game win streak, so almost two-thirds of their season has been made up of 4+ game streaks. Basically, they've been either incredibly good or unbelievably bad. It makes sense because they've been so reliant on the 1st line, particularly Pastrnak and Marchand, for scoring.

+/- isn't a good stat, but 6 of Marchand's 7 minus games have occurred during those 4 game losing streaks, and 5 of Pastrnak's 6. Each has just 1 minus game in a win. Of course, anytime you lose, you expect there to be more minus players, and those two losing streaks make up two-thirds of their total losses this yer.

It's hard to complain when you're 10 points clear of your closest competitor in the division, but the team needs to provide more consistent 60 minute efforts. Too often they just expect the first line to bail them out.

Last edited:

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Let’s get this win tonight and break this streak. Plus get a little confidence back. Plus get this power play going, no way we should be held down like this. Tonight is the night .

One last thing F Tampa lol

Go Bruins !!!

Reactions: Zillah and bbfan419

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Tuukka in net
Moore is in for Clifton
Backes could be in for Ritchie( probably)

No update on Krug. I assume it’s not serious but when you assume you know what happens.

Kevin Paul DuPont Twitter

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
5-1 Tampa
Over the last 20 years, the Bruins and Lightning have the same amount of cups, Bruins have more SCF losses.

Not sure the choker label is the one we want to throw around...
Yes but Tampa has been favored a lot of coming out of the East . They have been going “all in” mostly every year. Once again not talking about you but this is a bruins board we wear are emotions on our sleeves. Most of us don’t like anybody but the bruins but we do RESPECT all the teams except Toronto and Montreal and more lol lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
No reason to be confident going into tonight. I’m still tired from last game and all I did was slap some gift wrap on some boxes.

Reactions: BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Yes but Tampa has been favored a lot of coming out of the East . They have been going “all in” mostly every year. Once again not talking about you but this is a bruins board we wear are emotions on our sleeves. Most of us don’t like anybody but the bruins but we do RESPECT all the teams except Toronto and Montreal and more lol lol

After the first rd last year the consensus around the league was the cup is Bostons to lose. Year before Boston was 1 pt behind Tampa in the standings and went out with a whimper. President trophy winners losing to Montreal. 1st place in the division going on to lose to Washington in the first round before that.

Teams are about equal when it comes to "choking'.

Reactions: Estlin

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
After the first rd last year the consensus around the league was the cup is Bostons to lose. Year before Boston was 1 pt behind Tampa in the standings and went out with a whimper. President trophy winners losing to Montreal. 1st place in the division going on to lose to Washington in the first round before that.

Teams are about equal when it comes to "choking'.
bruins have choked way more than tampa. 2009 2012 2014 2019. ugh.
tampa had the ultimate choke last year but my bruins hate to say it are worse. and all happening on home ice.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
and i left out the 3-0 series 3-0 game 7 choke and 2013 cup series. only because 2010 team was bad and injured . and in 2013 hawks were just better.

Not to go too far off topic but 2013 is a tough one because we had a chance at home to go up 3-1 in the series. It basically came down to the 3rd period and then overtime. Can't forget that 3 of the first 4 games went to OT.

"What if" game goes both ways but 1 shot in 2 of the OT losses was the difference between a sweep at home, being up 3-1 in the series, or being tied at 2.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hope @Bruinaua has lots of cookies ready. I think we're going to be needing a lot of comfort food tonight :(

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Can we put Pasta back on the left side on the PP please? I get that they're mixing things up a bit for the PP to not get stale, but that in itself was stale before it even started. Go back to the well.

Reactions: Strafer and Estlin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My lines for tonite:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Bjork-Krejci-Coyle
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Heinen-Lindholm-Backes

Take a seat time for Debrusk
4th line duty for Heinen (but in his natural position)
2nd line that should be a threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad