GDT: Game 32: Sharks vs. Kings 7:30pm ESPN+/Hulu

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I get the logic, but typically front offices wait at least a bit longer before cutting bait on a player they spent a high-ish pick on. That's just usually how it works. Maybe if Thrun still hasn't made progress by the end of the year, but it seems too early to suggest that IMO.

I also seriously doubt Furlong or Guryev will be more NHL-ready than Thrun next year. Grier isn't gifting prospects spots on the roster. With call-ups and injuries there will still be a place for Thrun either in the AHL or NHL next year.
Furlong and Guryev will definitely not be NHL ready next year but neither will Thrun. I would rather devote our development slots on the Cuda to Shak, Furlong, Guryev, Laroque and Pulli then round out the defense corps with Gawanke or a replacement to run the power play than worry about finding room for a stagnating 23yo like Thrun.

We’ll see. Maybe Thrun’s game makes a miraculous jump in the next few months but as of now there isn’t a single thing he does above replacement level.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Furlong and Guryev will definitely not be NHL ready next year but neither will Thrun. I would rather devote our development slots on the Cuda to Shak, Furlong, Guryev, Laroque and Pulli then round out the defense corps with Gawanke or a replacement to run the power play than worry about finding room for a stagnating 23yo like Thrun.

We’ll see. Maybe Thrun’s game makes a miraculous jump in the next few months but as of now there isn’t a single thing he does above replacement level.
For the record, Thrun is 22 until March 12. Fun fact, Valterri Pulli was born March 13, 2001. Anyways, for a guy on a bottom 4 development track, that is still pretty young and I don't see why we should pull the plug on the Thrun experiment 4 months into him turning pro.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thrun in his first year pro has stagnated and is a bust. But a 4 year pro that is just 3 months younger that has not proven he can play at the NHL level should be a center piece to a trade for a huge cap dump because he supposedly has so much potential.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Thrun in his first year pro has stagnated and is a bust. But a 4 year pro that is just 3 months younger that has not proven he can play at the NHL level should be a center piece to a trade for a huge cap dump because he supposedly has so much potential.
Thank you for revising your initial comment. Yes, this is correct. Broberg has physical tools that Thrun will never develop and has way more pro experience at a younger age.

For the record, Thrun is 22 until March 12. Fun fact, Valterri Pulli was born March 13, 2001. Anyways, for a guy on a bottom 4 development track, that is still pretty young and I don't see why we should pull the plug on the Thrun experiment 4 months into him turning pro.
I only included Pulli because we're stuck with him since he's already signed through next season. Didn't even mention Knyzhov who likely spends next season with the Cuda as well and hopefully we add enough NHL talent on defense that Burroughs finds his way down there too.

We need to think of our prospects as being on a conveyor belt. If Thrun isn't clearly making the grade by the end of this season it's time to move on and give younger prospects like Furlong, Guryev and Laroque the best possible chance to succeed. There's also Havelid but I'm still unclear on whether he's even AHL eligible yet.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Has Thrun been given the chance to succeed? Pretty hard to judge anything by the current makeup of the defense. It is not set up for anyone to succeed. His advanced stats are middling to slightly above, relative to the team.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Henry Thrun. Professional hockey player.
18 games with San Jose Barracuda.
15 games with San Jose Sharks.
Stagnated and a bust?? Ease up.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thank you for revising your initial comment. Yes, this is correct. Broberg has physical tools that Thrun will never develop and has way more pro experience at a younger age.

I only included Pulli because we're stuck with him since he's already signed through next season. Didn't even mention Knyzhov who likely spends next season with the Cuda as well and hopefully we add enough NHL talent on defense that Burroughs finds his way down there too.

We need to think of our prospects as being on a conveyor belt. If Thrun isn't clearly making the grade by the end of this season it's time to move on and give younger prospects like Furlong, Guryev and Laroque the best possible chance to succeed. There's also Havelid but I'm still unclear on whether he's even AHL eligible yet.
Laroque and guryev aren't even good enough at this moment to play for the Barracuda.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
isn’t Gannon on an injury return thing? I can’t think of what it’s called.

He's been down in Wichita for nearly a month now. It's getting to the point where I'm wondering if Laroque just plays for the Wichita Thunder this season. The combination of his injury history and the overcrowding at D for the Cuda makes me not sure either way.

Guryev's only just now getting back into the lineup after the Thrun recall and Cicek trade, and I assume Thrun is coming back down to the AHL once some of the Sharks' defense gets healthy again. This might just be the best way to get Laroque regular ice time at the moment.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
He's been down in Wichita for nearly a month now. It's getting to the point where I'm wondering if Laroque just plays for the Wichita Thunder. The combination of his injury history and the overcrowding at D for the Cuda makes me not sure either way.

Guryev's only just now getting back into the lineup after the Thrun recall and Cicek trade, and I assume Thrun is coming back down to the AHL once some of the Sharks' defense gets healthy again. This might just be the best way to get Laroque regular ice time at the moment.
Clarity is a beautiful thing. Thank you.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Thrun is having a bad season, but he had a great debut last season and IMO has earned more rope.

It may be time to look at the be Barracuda. No one is expecting them to turn crud to gold, but it seems like they are struggling to develop depth talent with some pretty decent prospects.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'm not sure where all the Thrun hate has come from lately. I thought he's looked like he belonged in the last few games - not likely going to make it as a top 4 D but he's an NHLer. Thrun held his own on a few shifts vs MacKinnon when I saw them in person.

Certainly as reliable as Okhotiuk in the D zone, a bit less physical but not extremely so, and maybe a bit less potential... okhotiuk could squeeze into a middle pairing with the right partner, with some continued improvement in decision making, his weakest point so far.

I understand the points people are making that 5-6D are widely available, so that does give him less value, but I'm not sure it's necessary to write him off mid season.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'm not sure where all the Thrun hate has come from lately. I thought he's looked like he belonged in the last few games - not likely going to make it as a top 4 D but he's an NHLer. Thrun held his own on a few shifts vs MacKinnon when I saw them in person.

Certainly as reliable as Okhotiuk in the D zone, a bit less physical but not extremely so, and maybe a bit less potential... okhotiuk could squeeze into a middle pairing with the right partner, with some continued improvement in decision making, his weakest point so far.

I understand the points people are making that 5-6D are widely available, so that does give him less value, but I'm not sure it's necessary to write him off mid season.
He’s made some really bonehead plays since his call-up (e.g. unforced puck over glass, give-away for a goal), but I agree that he has the tools and will be a good player in time. His short stint last year showed that.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He’s made some really bonehead plays since his call-up (e.g. unforced puck over glass, give-away for a goal), but I agree that he has the tools and will be a good player in time. His short stint last year showed that.
I haven't been especially impressed with Thrun at any point, but he hasn't always been noticable (which means he's not making that making that many egregious mistakes or getting burned too often) and he is young. I don't think he's a problem to worry about at this stage.

I do think the "Thrun is a top four NHL defenseman now" stuff was very premature, though. He has talent and isn't getting buried by his competition, which is good. I don't think he's ready and needs more develeopment, and that's fine.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not particularly worried about those more notable mistakes from this recent stint: the puck over the glass was sort of panicky but in a unique situation, and then there was the goal that started from him basically missing the puck when trying to pass it--maybe an ice issue but either way both aren't really indicative of deep problems.

If anything I feel like there's some lacking confidence right now, which isn't surprising for a player of his limited experience. Because of his lack of physicality, much of his success is going to come from his ability to demonstrate poise, particularly when under pressure in his own zone. I think Quinn was speaking to that after the game on Tuesday:
Listen, he tries his ass off. He’s coachable. These are great experiences for him. Just a little bit more anticipation with the puck. Puck management’s big. Just like most young players when they get to this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad