GDT: Game 32: Coyotes @ Blue Jackets - 5PM - FSAZ+

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I thought the majority of the problems were the players, but I may have been wrong. We are in most games but I just do not see the improvement that I saw last year. This should be a bubble team this year, but instead we will be picking top five. I thought RT was the best choice of the coaches they interviewed, but I would have liked the Coyotes to interview others.
RT came in with a dumb, lame az idea for how "he" wanted to play, he has since made intelligent adjustments. Unfortunately we're currently viewing a team that has lost too much and as the losses mount, it becomes harder and harder to have all putting their best effort in every game. One night players x, y and z are optimistic and feeling it, but players a, b and c are not, the rotating cycle spirals into more losses and degeneration of improvement. This is exactly why Tippett wanted to shelter young players and was willing to ice seasoned NHL'ers, even if they weren't the highest of quality NHL'ers.

This has made it harder on the young players and there is a serious risk of ruining some. It will take a great amount of individual focus by these players to keep that from happening.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
RT came in with a dumb, lame az idea for how "he" wanted to play, he has since made intelligent adjustments. Unfortunately we're currently viewing a team that has lost too much and as the losses mount, it becomes harder and harder to have all putting their best effort in every game. One night players x, y and z are optimistic and feeling it, but players a, b and c are not, the rotating cycle spirals into more losses and degeneration of improvement. This is exactly why Tippett wanted to shelter young players and was willing to ice seasoned NHL'ers, even if they weren't the highest of quality NHL'ers.

This has made it harder on the young players and there is a serious risk of ruining some. It will take a great amount of individual focus by these players to keep that from happening.
Yep, it's a train wreck. All the folks on this board that wanted a new coach, new system and to play youth, now have their wish. It has turned a 72 point club into a 46 (current pace) point club. Be careful what you wish for:(

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yep, it's a train wreck. All the folks on this board that wanted a new coach, new system and to play youth, now have their wish. It has turned a 72 point club into a 46 (current pace) point club. Be careful what you wish for:(

Precisely.

A lot of people made conjectures regarding how poorly this team was coached, when in reality, a lot of things that the previous regime said hung true.

We have needed better good players. The talent is there, but right now they are not performing cohesively. Likewise, people stated how inefficient/ineffective it was to shelter some of the young players. For as much teaching as Tocchet has done (which was cited as one of the main reasons for Tocchet getting hired), the teaching really hasn't accomplished a whole lot, especially while getting outclassed. This is the reason why Perlini succeeded after first starting in Tucson, even though he probably could have been with the NHL club from the start of the season. When were we actually talking about Boedker being a key component? After he went back to the AHL to progress his game further. There is a component of learning that comes with putting players against a decent challenge, but also not giving them such a challenge that they wind up getting frustrated and/or backtracking in their development.

Honestly, I thought it was a combo of a lot of things, but I am going to put this straight on Barroway. He decided to go for the wins now.

Andrew Barroway speaks out about the ‘new’ Arizona Coyotes

Then, the coaching, b/c I think that some of their message is getting across at times, but not endearing well enough. Finally, the players deserve some blame, but not as much as the owner and coaching.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Precisely.

A lot of people made conjectures regarding how poorly this team was coached, when in reality, a lot of things that the previous regime said hung true.

We have needed better good players. The talent is there, but right now they are not performing cohesively. Likewise, people stated how inefficient/ineffective it was to shelter some of the young players. For as much teaching as Tocchet has done (which was cited as one of the main reasons for Tocchet getting hired), the teaching really hasn't accomplished a whole lot, especially while getting outclassed. This is the reason why Perlini succeeded after first starting in Tucson, even though he probably could have been with the NHL club from the start of the season. When were we actually talking about Boedker being a key component? After he went back to the AHL to progress his game further. There is a component of learning that comes with putting players against a decent challenge, but also not giving them such a challenge that they wind up getting frustrated and/or backtracking in their development.

Honestly, I thought it was a combo of a lot of things, but I am going to put this straight on Barroway. He decided to go for the wins now.

Then, the coaching, b/c I think that some of their message is getting across at times, but not endearing well enough. Finally, the players deserve some blame, but not as much as the owner and coaching.
Agreed. I think the owner and GM maybe, hard to tell, wanted to go in a certain direction. Maybe Tocc sold them a little on the direction and style of play. Not one full time player is playing better than they did last year, while many are worse. I don't think players are being put in a position to succeed. That is a coaching problem.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Precisely.

I put AB at the head of the list and it's not even close, but I put the players second and coaching close behind. The vets started the year with their heads up their a--, but RT did nothing to hold them accountable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad