Post-Game Talk: GAME 32 - A Frustrating Loss - Penguins 5 BRUINS 3 FINAL

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Acciari actually had a really good game last night, trying to make it seem like he's the reason we lost is laughable. Then again its par for these boards.
Well hey just ignore that line "Obviously that loss wasn't on Acciari"....

He's an absolute black hole and slow to boot. I don't really care if he had one good game out of 26.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well hey just ignore that line "Obviously that loss wasn't on Acciari"....

He's an absolute black hole and slow to boot. I don't really care if he had one good game out of 26.

Yeah one game hasn't changed my mind about him either. However, if some sort of magic has been found where he can play like that and excel as a 4th line center, then okay, I'm for it. I don't expect it to last, but you never know.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Son had a late practice and I only got to see the last 15 minutes, but it looked like Heinen and JFK were bringing it and had good chemistry.

Were the first two periods similar? From the little I saw, looked like one of those games where a team carries the play for the most part, but every time they make a defensive error, it ends up in the net?

Like the line a lot , all 3 of them had some really nice shifts. I think what helped them a ton, from what I saw and those here who watched can correct me, was Butch put them in a place to succeed by giving them offensive zone starts. I honestly can`t recall if I saw that line begin with a defensive zone faceoff? I think Jack and Brick mentioned JFK`s % was above 50% too which is good, I was terribly worried about his weakness on the dot that he was displaying prior to his brief demotion to the PB`s.

Line looked good, thought Heinen was doing a ton of the dirty work and the shots were coming from JFK and Donato, not sure if I even saw Heinen take a shot, seemed to be in the role of disher last night

Tough game, thought Halak was, well, like the Halak I have seen in recent years, one moment look terrific, the next, poor, that first goal was one that an NHL goalie just can`t allow.

Love the fight back from the team to get back into it and the winning goal was tough, DK admitted losing that draw just unacceptable

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Odd stats from last night...

Wagner: 9 shots on goal
Heinen: 7 hits

Wagner also had 5 hits in 12 minutes, that's an active night. Crazier still is that all of his shots were in 5 on 5 play. I've seen Pasta have 8 shots in a game, but a lot are fired off on the PP.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I thought the game was pretty weak by Boston. Despite throwing a ton of shots on net, I didn't think many were really good scoring chances. It reminded me of a lot of the games where Claude was here and would say after that they just ran into a hot goalie. And really, when 16 shots were from 2 guys, and one of those guys is your 4th line hitter, you simply don't have enough true offense.

To add to that, after watching this team struggle to score goals and create legitimate scoring opportunities game in and game out, I'm firmly convinced they have to make a move to get a legit scorer up front. I get that it will be better once Bergeron is back, but I still think this team is lacking a shooter.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Wagner last night is the Wagner I was hoping to see when he was brought in. Not the shot totals, but the engagement and energy he was bringing. Not sure what people were seeing in Acciari other than the fact he played better last night than he had been playing. He still wasn't anything special last night other than he didn't suck and he played like a grinder is supposed to play. Bottom line is kudos to DS for bringing in Smith. Several guys on the team were not playing as hard as they could and were becoming passengers. Bringing in Smith provides some competition and seems to have gotten the attention of some of the players.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thought the game was pretty weak by Boston. Despite throwing a ton of shots on net, I didn't think many were really good scoring chances. It reminded me of a lot of the games where Claude was here and would say after that they just ran into a hot goalie. And really, when 16 shots were from 2 guys, and one of those guys is your 4th line hitter, you simply don't have enough true offense.

To add to that, after watching this team struggle to score goals and create legitimate scoring opportunities game in and game out, I'm firmly convinced they have to make a move to get a legit scorer up front. I get that it will be better once Bergeron is back, but I still think this team is lacking a shooter.

missing one more true finisher for sure, not sure who is available and at what cost though

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Wagner last night is the Wagner I was hoping to see when he was brought in. Not the shot totals, but the engagement and energy he was bringing. Not sure what people were seeing in Acciari other than the fact he played better last night than he had been playing. He still wasn't anything special last night other than he didn't suck and he played like a grinder is supposed to play. Bottom line is kudos to DS for bringing in Smith. Several guys on the team were not playing as hard as they could and were becoming passengers. Bringing in Smith provides some competition and seems to have gotten the attention of some of the players.

I'm good with Acciari and Kuraly at this point. I've seen enough and quite honestly feel they aren't cutting it. Both need to be replaced by players that will bring more energy/effort to those spots.

Reactions: shoulders7

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That is the real issue.

yep, I`m also not interested in a Simmonds. I don`t jump at the chance to watch the Flyers but the last two weeks they have had a few games televised here and he looks like a guy whose got a ton of hard miles on his body.

Now, a deal with a Taransenko or a guy who plays with pace and has finishing abilities is a different story but they won`t come cheap and the B`s will definitely have to fork over a solid prospect or current roster player

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
yep, I`m also not interested in a Simmonds. I don`t jump at the chance to watch the Flyers but the last two weeks they have had a few games televised here and he looks like a guy whose got a ton of hard miles on his body.

Now, a deal with a Taransenko or a guy who plays with pace and has finishing abilities is a different story but they won`t come cheap and the B`s will definitely have to fork over a solid prospect or current roster player

Given what I've seen of their prospects and current roster players, I don't think I'd even wait a second before saying yes, aside from JDB. You want Heinen? Bjork? JFK? Senyshyn? Sure thing. :laugh:

Ideally, they'd find a team that has a need for Krug and a good offensive player to deal in return.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
missing one more true finisher for sure, not sure who is available and at what cost though
Lots of loose pucks in front last night with no finish. Phil Esposito scored 76 goals one year as the self-titled “garbageman.” Too big to be moved from in front of the net, he had the hands to finish those off.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I thought we had moved into an alternate dimension when I was watching last night.

I’m wondering if there is something to the idea that the 23 year old Heinen is the “elder statesman” on that line and it’s bringing more out of him? He’s certainly not physical by any stretch, but he’s more physical than JFK and Donato for sure :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You're not telling me anything I don't already know lol. I know Krejci is streaky, anyone who watches this team regularly knows he streaky. The money stuff well, that's not his fault that the B's offered him that deal. Like you said ownership and management know who the guy was. So why does his responsibility suddenly change because he suddenly got a $7 million contract? Again management knew what they had, so why were people suddenly expecting something different. My comment was also a shot at those who liked to say that Krejci's lack of talented wingers was just an excuse, when clearly it isn't. Krejci now doesn't even look like the same Krejci from the last 2 years.

Its funny, but I'm not even a Krejci fan. I just hate how some posters can't objectively look at a player and instead piss and moan because of 1-2 stats. That's always been my issue with this place and probably always be.

but...

when I read your argument its easy for me to read that you are suggesting... he wouldn't be streaky with talented wingers? that its the talented wingers that would bring out the best in him?

krecji has 597 points in 801 games. this is very easy math. in a typical season he 'averages' 60 points. he has roughly 10 full seasons of history to look at

during that time he has played with everyone from iginla and jagr and seguin to guys like Nordstrom and axelsson. but really how much did it honestly matter who his wingers were?

krejcis BEST EVER SEASON is 73 points. he has never ever gone out there with 2 good wingers and STAYED CONSISTENT long enough to rip it up for even an 80 point season.

on the flip side over the last 178 games where his supporters say he hasn't had any good wingers he still has 125 points

hes the most consistent inconsistent guy around. put him on the ice with 2 fire hydrants or give him clones of gretzky and Lemieux as his wingers and the evidence tells us he will find a way to end up with between 55 and 70 points

the question then becomes... does his linemates have career best years or even huge spikes playing with him? and unfortunately the evidence tells us they end up becoming very streaky too. I mean we see a guy like Nordstrom play a few games with krejci and look great... then not so much. we saw Horton and lucic have some great moments with krejci… and also some not great moments

krejci and pastrnak have been tried together many many many times over the past few years... and this is the first time I remember anyone saying they look good together

honestly... I think we are missing something when we say they look good with krejci. ive been saying for most the past year that marchand and pastrnak look good together and its completely irrelevant who is out there with them. I know marchand was very sluggish the first 25 games this season... and pastrnak seemed to go through a few weeks of some sort of injury that was slowing him down... so they were not godlings on the ice through November.

I give krejci credit for being able to cash in on his opportunity to be in the middle now that marchand/pastrnak are finding their mojo again... but again I have to point out these 2 wingers carried riley nash last year. when marchand/pastrnak are playing their best hockey I dare say you or I could probably center them to the fans approval.

we are talking about the best winger duo in the nhl… and with those boys in Colorado as competition that's very high praise indeed but our guys deserve the nod

honestly, id probably put someone else with them now that they are healthy and going great guns. our team still needs to have 2 line scoring. krejci is still being paid to produce his 60 points reguardless who plays with him. let him be more valuable to us by getting a second line established.

and lets see if playing with marchand/pastrnak on a hot streak would give someone like jfk a huge confidence boost

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
but...

when I read your argument its easy for me to read that you are suggesting... he wouldn't be streaky with talented wingers? that its the talented wingers that would bring out the best in him?

krecji has 597 points in 801 games. this is very easy math. in a typical season he 'averages' 60 points. he has roughly 10 full seasons of history to look at

during that time he has played with everyone from iginla and jagr and seguin to guys like Nordstrom and axelsson. but really how much did it honestly matter who his wingers were?

krejcis BEST EVER SEASON is 73 points. he has never ever gone out there with 2 good wingers and STAYED CONSISTENT long enough to rip it up for even an 80 point season.

on the flip side over the last 178 games where his supporters say he hasn't had any good wingers he still has 125 points

hes the most consistent inconsistent guy around. put him on the ice with 2 fire hydrants or give him clones of gretzky and Lemieux as his wingers and the evidence tells us he will find a way to end up with between 55 and 70 points

the question then becomes... does his linemates have career best years or even huge spikes playing with him? and unfortunately the evidence tells us they end up becoming very streaky too. I mean we see a guy like Nordstrom play a few games with krejci and look great... then not so much. we saw Horton and lucic have some great moments with krejci… and also some not great moments

krejci and pastrnak have been tried together many many many times over the past few years... and this is the first time I remember anyone saying they look good together

honestly... I think we are missing something when we say they look good with krejci. ive been saying for most the past year that marchand and pastrnak look good together and its completely irrelevant who is out there with them. I know marchand was very sluggish the first 25 games this season... and pastrnak seemed to go through a few weeks of some sort of injury that was slowing him down... so they were not godlings on the ice through November.

I give krejci credit for being able to cash in on his opportunity to be in the middle now that marchand/pastrnak are finding their mojo again... but again I have to point out these 2 wingers carried riley nash last year. when marchand/pastrnak are playing their best hockey I dare say you or I could probably center them to the fans approval.

we are talking about the best winger duo in the nhl… and with those boys in Colorado as competition that's very high praise indeed but our guys deserve the nod

honestly, id probably put someone else with them now that they are healthy and going great guns. our team still needs to have 2 line scoring. krejci is still being paid to produce his 60 points reguardless who plays with him. let him be more valuable to us by getting a second line established.

and lets see if playing with marchand/pastrnak on a hot streak would give someone like jfk a huge confidence boost

You do realize Marchand and Patsta need a center right? Enough with the JFK and Colby Cave experiments. Pasta and Marchands ability should be maximized and that's what they're currently doing. Why would the Bruins go back to what's not working?

If the Bruins decide to keep Bergy with Debrusk and whatever winger of the day playing right wing, Take a guess to what will be blamed first for his production falling

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You do realize Marchand and Patsta need a center right? Enough with the JFK and Colby Cave experiments. Pasta and Marchands ability should be maximized and that's what they're currently doing. Why would the Bruins go back to what's not working?

If the Bruins decide to keep Bergy with Debrusk and whatever winger of the day playing right wing, Take a guess to what will be blamed first for his production falling

if someone wasn't paying attention they would definitely want to give Bergeron a lot of credit for his career best offense the last 2 years... on the other hand someone like myself has pointed out that Bergeron ONLY produces this type of offence with marchand. marchand meanwhile produces it with anyone.

I hope people don't expect Bergeron to be able to pop along at a 40 goal pace without marchand. but then.. why should they? Bergeron has almost 1000 career games and just over 750 points. he scores 3 points for every 4 games played. on an 80 game schedule that works out to an expectation of 60 points

Bergeron and krecji are the same guy offensively {although krejci goes into more extreme streaks}

where the difference is... Bergeron is the most elite defensive forward in the nhl over the past decade. by HIMSELF he makes a difference to the entire team defense.

so... if you want to go power on power with your line matchups and OWN those guys in tampa/Toronto/Pittsburgh you want to keep Bergeron with marchand

im perfectly ok agreeing with you that krecji would get the same offensive boost that Bergeron or riley nash do playing with marchand… but ONLY Bergeron takes that line from one of a dozen great lines in the nhl and elevates them to the top of the charts monster line that eats everyones breakfast

once we get our guys healthy again we need to put Bergeron back with marchand. if pastrnak and krejci truly and honestly have learnt to play together then we might open a discussion whether or not we should put those 2 together again

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
They put in a good effort, especially in the third. A few calls went against them. A different night and the score could have been the other way around. They are definitely still going in the right direction. Two big divisional games lay ahead. 4 points from those is very achievable going on what they have produced over the last four games.

Onwards.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
if someone wasn't paying attention they would definitely want to give Bergeron a lot of credit for his career best offense the last 2 years... on the other hand someone like myself has pointed out that Bergeron ONLY produces this type of offence with marchand. marchand meanwhile produces it with anyone.

I hope people don't expect Bergeron to be able to pop along at a 40 goal pace without marchand. but then.. why should they? Bergeron has almost 1000 career games and just over 750 points. he scores 3 points for every 4 games played. on an 80 game schedule that works out to an expectation of 60 points

Bergeron and krecji are the same guy offensively {although krejci goes into more extreme streaks}

where the difference is... Bergeron is the most elite defensive forward in the nhl over the past decade. by HIMSELF he makes a difference to the entire team defense.

so... if you want to go power on power with your line matchups and OWN those guys in tampa/Toronto/Pittsburgh you want to keep Bergeron with marchand

im perfectly ok agreeing with you that krecji would get the same offensive boost that Bergeron or riley nash do playing with marchand… but ONLY Bergeron takes that line from one of a dozen great lines in the nhl and elevates them to the top of the charts monster line that eats everyones breakfast

once we get our guys healthy again we need to put Bergeron back with marchand. if pastrnak and krejci truly and honestly have learnt to play together then we might open a discussion whether or not we should put those 2 together again

They are both in their mid 30s now. I expect the Bruins to get players that can help their games so they don't have to carry a team. Right now the top 6 is lacking 1 key player to help the Debrusk Krejci line. Putting Krejci with Pasta and Marchand right now is a no brainer while Bergeron is out

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I’m wondering if there is something to the idea that the 23 year old Heinen is the “elder statesman” on that line and it’s bringing more out of him? He’s certainly not physical by any stretch, but he’s more physical than JFK and Donato for sure :laugh:

I really think that when the 4th line gets to throwing the body, it gets everyone else throwing the body. I honestly have nothing that supports this outside of the eye test, but it just seems like (and I said this weeks ago) the 4th line sets the "physical tone" for the rest of the team.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Rask loses that game too. Two on ones breakaways due to poor defense. Checkout the score sheet and the plus/minus for the game. McAvoy Krug all of them played poor D against Pitt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad