GDT: Game #31 | Detroit Red Wings @ Anaheim Ducks | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's funny because Abby's game was very reminiscent of a Franzen game when he actually used to be good. It was so out of left field though to see him actually placing his shots and beating goaltenders. Just something you see from him so rarely.

Thought the Datsyuk and Emmerton lines both looked really good, but thought the Zetterberg and Andersson lines were pretty bad at even strength. Thought Nyquist played a good game for the most part, had some nice stick-handling when he was coming down 1-on-1, thought he should have drawn a penalty. Looks like he has some jump back in his skating, and I feel like you see flashes of his talent more than you were before.

Hopefully Babcock re-shuffles the lines soon.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Also, is it just me or does it seem like Franzen never looks to shoot anymore? I swear he always has the puck in space and waits a second then looks to pass, where in the past he would try to fire a shot.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Also, is it just me or does it seem like Franzen never looks to shoot anymore? I swear he always has the puck in space and waits a second then looks to pass, where in the past he would try to fire a shot.

Yeah.Despite having a decent ppg ratio right now Im not liking Franzens game at all really. Never tries to take the puck to the net and isn't letting his shot go nearly as much as the past.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The whole 3rd line was pretty invisible tonight, I'd like to see the Gus-Andy-Nose line they practiced with. IMO it'd be pretty effective against bottom pairing D-men.

Agreed I hope we get to see that line. I also thought the Lashoff Smith pairing was much better last night, looks like Babs may keep them together for the time being.

Last edited:

HTT3*

Agreed I hope we get to see that line. I also thought the Lashoff Smith pairing was much better last night, looks like Babs may keep them together for the time being.

Smith had one of his best games. I didn't notice him much, so that is a good thing. Usually he's just god awful with the puck and makes the most ignorant decisions and turnovers. The Smith player we see in the NHL this year is the same one I've watched the past 2.5 years in the AHL, he's a complete bonehead with no hockey sense. He's a big body and a good skater that can score goals from the blue-line against lower level talent. He's extremely overrated.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I noticed he didn't want to shoot much last night, but that was mostly a product of trying to set up Abdelkader.

The one time he did try to shoot people here criticized him for not passing.

He's 3rd on the team in shots per game so it's certainly not a season long problem.

Pretty crazy that people are finding reasons to criticize a guy for a game where he finished +4, with a goal and 2 assists. Especially when both assists were fantastic passes. (Goal was nothing special though)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I noticed he didn't want to shoot much last night, but that was mostly a product of trying to set up Abdelkader.

The one time he did try to shoot people here criticized him for not passing.

He's 3rd on the team in shots per game so it's certainly not a season long problem.

Pretty crazy that people are finding reasons to criticize a guy for a game where he finished +4, with a goal and 2 assists. Especially when both assists were fantastic passes. (Goal was nothing special though)

That's true. I remember people criticising Franzen for not being a very good passer. Now he connects 2 great passed and that is not good.
The grass is always so much greener.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That's true. I remember people criticising Franzen for not being a very good passer. Now he connects 2 great passed and that is not good.
The grass is always so much greener.

Really? I usually only see people complain about his consistency, his floating. Very few people question any part of his skill set. He's shown us his skill set. That's why people are actually upset about his floating.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Lets pretend for one game that our team is awesome.

We just beat the 2nd best team in the league last night handily.

For the most part Franzen/Abdelkader were the key pieces.

Lets not argue over who should be better, and just bask in the glory while it lasts!!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I thought his whole line played a great game last night. My comment was made from watching his play all season, I just happened to post it in a GDT. He is much more engaged in the cycle than years past, which isn't a terrible thing. The cycle or transition used to end when it got on Franzen's stick because he'd take it as close to the net as possible then fire a shot. Just seems like he is trying to be more of a playmaker this year to me.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Lets pretend for one game that our team is awesome.

We just beat the 2nd best team in the league last night handily.

For the most part Franzen/Abdelkader were the key pieces.

Lets not argue over who should be better, and just bask in the glory while it lasts!!

Awwww yiss. Short term thinking! That'll win the cup!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Franzen returning to the lineup, and more specifically returning to Datsyuk's line has and will continue be important. Most importantly, it got Cleary off of Datsyuk's line. Secondly, it's gives the line another player who's capable of backing defenses off a little bit and thus opening up a little more time and space.

Datsyuk has 4 even strength assists to forwards the past 3 games. He didn't have a single even strength assist to a forward when both Cleary and Abdelkader were on his line. All of his even strength offense was coming from defenceman, especially Kronwall.

Franzen is a good player. He's frustrating because he doesn't have the consistent battle to his game that you'd hope for with a man of his frame and skill set. When he's not battling and playing soft I hate him. When he's engaged and driving the net he's a center's dream.

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
Awwww yiss. Short term thinking! That'll win the cup!

As opposed to the usual negative long term 'fire everyone' and bring up a bunch of rookies thinking on this board?

It's like always going to lunch with a coworker that hates his job and complains about it all the time. Nobody likes that guy.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
As opposed to the usual negative long term 'fire everyone' and bring up a bunch of rookies thinking on this board?

It's like always going to lunch with a coworker that hates his job and complains about it all the time. Nobody likes that guy.

You're conflating management with the team and your analogy sucks. Not uncommon amongst people who seem to be incapable of objectivity.

It's more like the co-worker who complains about that one boss who constantly makes everyone's jobs harder.

It's weird that you guys defend blindly the guys bringing the team down.

Besides, the "bunch of rookies" are limited to all of like, 2 or 3 players. And it's not like the team is stocked with all-star talent such that it would make the team worse to bring them in. On the contrary, replacing some of the weaker players with the rookies would only strengthen the team. But, can't let anyone criticize management!

Worse yet, we wouldn't really need to bring in a "bunch of rookies" if asset management were better done last year. Last year we had a solid d-corp and could have better afforded to insert guys like Smith and Kindl. Now we have Kronwall and Ericsson as our stabilizing force on the back end, as opposed to Lidstrom and Stuart. Quite a downgrade.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Franzen is a good player. He's frustrating because he doesn't have the consistent battle to his game that you'd hope for with a man of his frame and skill set. When he's not battling and playing soft I hate him. When he's engaged and driving the net he's a center's dream.

Even when floating, he brings so much more than Cleary because he's just smarter with the puck and has better hands. Cleary played how many games in the top 6? How many plays did he make like Franzen made last night? Two excellent passes to open guys, leading to goals. The other team has to respect the weapons he has or they'll get burned. Unlike Cleary who... has no weapons now that he's too slow.

I still think Franzen floats too often, but he is leaps and bounds ahead of Cleary, even when he's not going full speed.

crashman

I know this isn't breaking news or anything, but this team always steps of it's game against good teams. They've played Chicago really close in both games with a decimated roster. The proud culture isn't dead yet.

Dekemeister

Sep 12, 2010
I find it funny that the west this year is composed of like 2 teams that are actually doing well and pretty much everyone else is doing ok but thinking that their team is collapsing. Its a slugfest between the rest of the teams in/near playoff position. The Wings are currently two or three points out of the 4th spot and home ice advantage for the playoffs.

At this point we all have similar point totals except for Chicago/Anaheim and the Wings are playing like a decent playoff team that could be a dark horse if they get healthy, whilst also having a strong prospect pool. Am I happy with the way that the wings development have kinda yanked the chain of Nyquest/others? No. And there is an obvious disconnect between Babcock and Holland and I think that Babcock's days are numbers, but that's to be expected. He's been the Wings coach for a long time and he's a damn good one.

I don't understand the panic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->