GDT: Game 31 - CBJ at PIT - 12 Dec, 7pm

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is it okay to refer to this as a 4-point game, or does that reflect unwarranted optimism? ;)
The Pens have declared this to be their "Ugly Holiday Sweater Theme" night, so, um, yeah. That. :eyeroll:

Projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Sonny Milano - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Nick Foligno - Boone Jenner - Josh Anderson
Gustav Nyquist - Alexandre Texier - Cam Atkinson
Alexander Wennberg - Riley Nash - Eric Robinson

Dean Kukan - Seth Jones
Ryan Murray - David Savard
Vladislav Gavrikov - Andrew Peeke

Joonas Korpisalo
Elvis Merzlikins

Scratches: Emil Bemstrom (injury), Scott Harrington

Roster Report: Wednesday at practice, the team skated the same lines as the one that beat the Caps on Monday night. Bemstrom is expected to be out six-to-eight weeks, the team announced Wednesday, after he was injured Saturday at Florida. There is no word yet whether forward Kole Sherwood (oblique) or defenseman Zach Werenski (shoulder), who each practiced Wednesday, will be healthy enough to return.

penguins.nhl.com has something sort of resembling a preview article, although it's extremely short on information and heavy on ads and generic PSAs.

Scoresheet links (they'll work later tonight):
Game Summary - overall team info
Event Summary - player-specific info

Highlights from the Pens' last game:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Blowouts both ways in the first two games. Maybe this one will be close. Josh Anderson is due, at least that's what this ESPN article is saying: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...am-bounce-back-candidates-players-due-decline
What's behind the Blue Jackets' low shooting percentage?

This article is a much broader analysis. Essentially, when many factors are taken into account, the CBJ are just 6 goals-and according to the article-just one win below where they "should be".

As is the problem with many advanced team stats, they just lump all players together and don't take the individual into account. i.e. a Wennberg shot that is considered "high quality" equals a Panarin shot from the same distance.

It also doesn't take into account the fact that trailing teams usually get more shots on goal due to the playing strategy of the opponent who is winning the game as the leading team generally becomes less aggressive than the trailing team.

These stats also don't take into account that players on the decline have lower shooting percentages when they are in their decline.

Anyway, there's no advance stat that magically states that the CBJ are not a team with goal scoring issues. At least in this article.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If we play like we did against the Rangers and Caps, we will win this one. Keep the pressure going and create chances. It's a funny game, isn't it. Against the Rangers, great scoring chances went unrewarded; against the Caps we scored two beautiful goals and added three crazy ones - an impossible angle off the goalie, a hip shot and a banked empty netter.

I'll take the luck while saying keep in play in the Pens end of the ice.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As is the problem with many advanced team stats, they just lump all players together and don't take the individual into account. i.e. a Wennberg shot that is considered "high quality" equals a Panarin shot from the same distance.
Um. Every xGA/xGF model I'm aware of has some allowance for the shooter's career SH%.

It also doesn't take into account the fact that trailing teams usually get more shots on goal due to the playing strategy of the opponent who is winning the game as the leading team generally becomes less aggressive than the trailing team.
Oh, c'mon. "Score effects" were an acknowledged thing to correct for among the advanced stats community even back when Corsi was a punchline. That's why Fenwick Close became such a thing.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What a waste of a scoring chance by Bjorkstrand. Just shoot the damn puck, trying a deke and move in that close rarely ever works.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
True or false...Dubois/Milano/Bjorkstrand is now our top line.

I think true, and never would have thunk it at the beginning of the year.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I like Tex, but he really needs to work on skating hard with the puck , he really seems to slow down when he possesses the puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad