GDT: Game 31: Arizona Vault Dwellers @ Pittsburgh Dodos | 12/6/2287 17:00 MST | ESPN+? Really?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Still lack goal scorers. Roster full of passers. Grrrr

They make a Hall for that.

Hall is now up to five goal of the season. Yesterdays goal was made by a buddy of him sailing past the goalie at the perfect moment. Perfect screen.

I wouldn't use that as an evidence of Hall, the goal-scorer.

I still cannot understand the big love for Hall.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Does anyone else watch these games and conclude like I did that the Coyotes have a surprising lack of puck control skills?

It's like if they're not actually looking at the puck while it's on their stick blades, even basic manipulation of the biscuit seems beyond them. Fumbles, hiccups, whiffs, bobbles, etc. all over the place. By the time they get the puck settled, defenders are all over them. It's not even a matter of pressure necessarily, because I see it happen on almost every zone entry - even on the power play. It makes them look like children in a men's game.

I'd also like to see a breakdown someday of how many of Oliver Ekman-Larsson's shots get put into defenders' shin pads vs. the ones that actually reach the net.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hall is now up to five goal of the season. Yesterdays goal was made by a buddy of him sailing past the goalie at the perfect moment. Perfect screen.

I wouldn't use that as an evidence of Hall, the goal-scorer.

I still cannot understand the big love for Hall.
Hall is a 1st line player, we don't have even one now. Hall would be our best player, by a big margin. The problem is what do we have to give up, if we do trade for him.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Does anyone else watch these games and conclude like I did that the Coyotes have a surprising lack of puck control skills?

It's like if they're not actually looking at the puck while it's on their stick blades, even basic manipulation of the biscuit seems beyond them. Fumbles, hiccups, whiffs, bobbles, etc. all over the place. By the time they get the puck settled, defenders are all over them. It's not even a matter of pressure necessarily, because I see it happen on almost every zone entry - even on the power play. It makes them look like children in a men's game.

I'd also like to see a breakdown someday of how many of Oliver Ekman-Larsson's shots get put into defenders' shin pads vs. the ones that actually reach the net.

Yes, I think the same thing sometimes, but wonder if I'm over analyzing. When I watch other teams I'm more of a casual observer. When watching the Coyotes I scrutinize every pass. Yes, making and receiving passes could be better it seems. Whiffing on uncontested shots seems to happen more than it should. Mishandling the puck when skating. But like I said, perhaps I'm being overcritical.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I think it’s a symptom of “playing fast”. The react before they assess. So far Tocchet’s demands on the players have been a net positive but I think it comes with the drawbacks you’ve list. A lot of what the f*** decisions and plays bobbled and wobbled because they are all trying to act too quickly all the time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Career numbers for Kessel and Hall are the same.
True, but Kessel is much older so a slow down was expected to a certain degree. I guess Kessel would be considered a 1st line player, but not this year so far.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
True, but Kessel is much older so a slow down was expected to a certain degree. I guess Kessel would be considered a 1st line player, but not this year so far.

Old man Kessel has one more goal than Hall this season. :naughty:

Don't get me wrong, I would like to add Hall, but definitely do NOT overpay. I don't think he's a game changer.

Reactions: Name Nameless

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
"Arizona reportedly isn't the only team interested in the 28-year-old forward. TSN's Pierre LeBrun, during the same broadcast, offered up the Colorado Avalanche as a team with possible interest."

Love how elite, young teams, still manage to chase after top-end talent. If the AVs are interested and not satisfied with they already have, what are we holding out for. I remember Nasher bringing up having to give up domi and duclair to snag the rights to Auston. At the time I thought we'd be crazy to do that, but now we would be lucky to have someone with the quality of Matthews.

I would sacrifice our goaltending. But I'd easily send a handful of our guys for someone proven like Hall.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

I have been trying to zone in on Crouse in particular the last little while to see what I thought he could be. I like everything about his game except when he gets time with puck on his stick. He skates well, passes fine, checks great, shot is fine, but when he has time to move with the puck.... very minor complaint of course as not everyone does everything well but it ties into your observation.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Crouse also brings physicality that no one else on the roster does. If we do make the playoffs, our disadvantage there will be a lot more glaring. Moving Crouse just doesn't make sense for this team. I can't see a trade hinging on him. Chayka has to be able to make it work with out Crouse if he's even a decent GM.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think Crouse has another level. He flashes it. I think there’s more there. If I had to choose between Crouse, Hinostroza and Fischer, I’d keep Crouse. If I had to choose just Crouse or both of Vinny AND Fischer - I might still keep Crouse.
Yeah I would not trade him unless the return is hard to resist. I don't know if he will ever be better with the puck but he is good enough at everything else that it doesn't matter. Seems to be a well liked teammate willing to do the dirty work, a rarity in today's game.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah I would not trade him unless the return is hard to resist. I don't know if he will ever be better with the puck but he is good enough at everything else that it doesn't matter. Seems to be a well liked teammate willing to do the dirty work, a rarity in today's game.

Edit: forgot to mention that he does it all at a reasonable salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->