Post-Game Talk: GAME #30 - Canucks @ Roadrunners - March 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudonymous*

1rdvuq.jpg

Really? Really?

:shakehead

Outside99*

Team win off a tremendous performance by Schneider.

- Tanev was outstanding considering who he was playing with.

- Hansen was outstanding, even i , one of his biggest fans, can't believe he has 11 in 11. Though he needs 100 in 100 to be considered a top 6. Seriously, he is the main reason we have secondary scoring - quite apparent that if you give him good linemates, he can produce. Raymond not bad either.

- the 3rd and 4th line were good. Gordon did not look out of place at all and worth a further look, Ballard for a D was pretty good and showed his potential, Ebbett stepped up defensively, Weise and Sistito were alright. Only Lapierre played poorly.

- Schroeder showed the offensive potential he was drafted for. Defensively, he was iffy,covered by Hansen more than once.

- quiet night for the Sedins and Burr. Got abused again with Nada penalties.

Barker was horrible defensively. Hamhuis was poor, as was Bieksa (they both look hurt) though he redeemed himself in spades. Garrison his usual solid self and Elder was better than usual.

Last comment: after tonight, there is no reason to scratch Ballard because as a forward, he's just a better overall player than any 4th liner on this team, plus he's your 7th D.

JA

So which is it - Tanev has a good shot because he can beat the goalie with a wrister, or his shot is one that is regularly made fun of? Personally I can't recall people making fun of his shot because he didn't shoot in the first place. His shot is decent, and he's a hard worker so I think he's been working on it.

And Ballard's not an idiot, he doesn't need specific instructions to know that he needs to make the safe play at all times. He has shot less and less every year he's been here. In fact, he's shot at roughly half the rate he was before coming here.

He was brought in having been decent offensively on his previous teams. Every single year in the NHL before joining the Canucks, he averaged 6-7 goals per year, and twice scored eight (on defense). Generally, he had been second or third in scoring amongst defensemen on his teams, only behind such players as Ed Jovanovski and Bryan McCabe (and on a different pairing). Since joining the Canucks (~2.25 seasons), he has only scored three times in total.

I think AV's expectations of him have had an adverse effect on his offensive production and his confidence in playing an offensive game. He used to carry the puck and jump up in to the rush with Phoenix and Florida. Now, the most we ever see him do with it is carry it up to center and shoot the puck in. As a forward, hopefully he has more freedom to explore the offensive side of his game again.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Team win off a tremendous performance by Schneider.

- Tanev was outstanding considering who he was playing with.

- Hansen was outstanding, even i , one of his biggest fans, can't believe he has 11 in 11. Though he needs 100 in 100 to be considered a top 6. Seriously, he is the main reason we have secondary scoring - quite apparent that if you give him good linemates, he can produce. Raymond not bad either.

- the 3rd and 4th line were good. Gordon did not look out of place at all and worth a further look, Ballard for a D was pretty good and showed his potential, Ebbett stepped up defensively, Weise and Sistito were alright. Only Lapierre played poorly.

- Schroeder showed the offensive potential he was drafted for. Defensively, he was iffy,covered by Hansen more than once.

- quiet night for the Sedins and Burr. Got abused again with Nada penalties.

Barker was horrible defensively. Hamhuis was poor, as was Bieksa (they both look hurt) though he redeemed himself in spades. Garrison his usual solid self and Elder was better than usual.

Last comment: after tonight, there is no reason to scratch Ballard because as a forward, he's just a better overall player than any 4th liner on this team, plus he's your 7th D.

Good post. Does anyone know who's been scouting the NCAA for us? Because I feel like we're doing a great job of plucking unheralded guys out of that system. Also, do we think our Euro scouts are doing a good job? I feel like they have although I don't know much about our scouting system.

That's why the line is so good though IMO - they're all similar players with speed, defence and skill but you have Hansen and Raymond who can cover for Schroeder's inexperience.

I would still rather have Ballard on D than Barker or Alberts. Although I agree with your assessment, I think there's no way Ballard will be a forward if the big guys are healthy. It's just not AV's style.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Since Smith didn't come back in the 3rd does Edler deserve a 2nd assist :sarcasm:

I really don't think Edler hurt him, I would assume its his wrist from Sedin crashing the net but heres hoping he doesn't miss a game.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Just an Oilers fan popping by to give props to Edler for running over Smith. Guy's dirty as hell, and is a major whiner. Deserved it.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
The Good:
Honey Badger
Schneider
Tanev
Garrison
Schroeder
Ballard as a forward

The Meh
Edler
Top line
Gordon & Weise

The Ebbett:
Ebbett prior to that last shift with :60 left
Hamhuis (this makes me sad)
Barker

No one else really registered for me

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Since Smith didn't come back in the 3rd does Edler deserve a 2nd assist :sarcasm:

I really don't think Edler hurt him, I would assume its his wrist from Sedin crashing the net but heres hoping he doesn't miss a game.

He had a little help from the Yotes player (forgot who he was) who gave him a bit of push just before the hit.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Got home with 5 minutes left in the third. being in the states i had to go to 631 the hockey channel for highlights. gave up after 35 minutes. They showed all the eastern teams 3 times (where it is 1:30 in the fudking morning) and didn't any west coast team once. Its worse (and thats saying something) than watching TSN (ok i lie i see nothing from TSN here, but I read their ignorant Toronto Sports Network crap looking for decent reporting) where can I go to see the highlights. Thank you Makeveli.

Outside99*

Good post. Does anyone know who's been scouting the NCAA for us? Because I feel like we're doing a great job of plucking unheralded guys out of that system. Also, do we think our Euro scouts are doing a good job? I feel like they have although I don't know much about our scouting system.

That's why the line is so good though IMO - they're all similar players with speed, defence and skill but you have Hansen and Raymond who can cover for Schroeder's inexperience.

I would still rather have Ballard on D than Barker or Alberts. Although I agree with your assessment, I think there's no way Ballard will be a forward if the big guys are healthy. It's just not AV's style.

Perhaps not AV's style but Ballard was infinitely better at getting the puck out of the zone than the other 4th line wingers and his speed was an asset on the forecheck.

JA

Ballard needs to stay as a forward for a while ;D

He has speed, he can carry the puck, can make moves, can one-time it, and knows how to distribute the puck as well. He created a few good scoring chances today, gave Weise a nice outlet pass early in the game, and tried a few creative plays. He isn't the greatest defenseman (though he has been one of the team's best this year), but his defensive capabilities allow him to backcheck as a forward without risking as much by his positioning -- he isn't the last man back. He is a creative player and is probably better suited as a forward than as a winger.

If he is given time to adjust to his positioning as a winger and starts focusing more on jumping up and leading the rush, he may excel. Today, he was playing a bit too deep in his own zone, but more time will allow him to adjust his positioning; he already knows where to be in the offensive zone, and forced the opposition to turn the puck over on a few occasions. If AV isn't willing to use him as a defenseman, he may as well experiment with him up front.

I'll post these five again:

The guy knows how to create offense. AV just has to let him make use of his skills. As a forward, he has the freedom to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Still an idiotic, thoughtless play by Edler. Really no need to hit him, we're lucky the Yotes didn't have to stones to run Schneids in return. And absolutely no need to get your elbow up.

We were very lucky they took that second penalty afterwards, and that the remainder of the PP was at the start of the 3rd - PP time at the beginning of periods is mostly pretty useless. On top of all that, we were without Edler for 5 minutes in a game that we had Barker in as our 6th. So yeah, overall, not a good decision.

you saw Mike Smith's cheap shot on Daniel, right?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
you saw Mike Smith's cheap shot on Daniel, right?

Yup. Still idiotic. Did we go after the guys who had those big hits? Did we push and get physical after those happened?

Honestly, I think it was a brainfart by Edler more than any attempt at retribution. Why did he suddenly take this into his own hands when there's been plenty of guys running at our stars all year? Like that rib cross-check last game against STL. We didn't even facewash, push or jostle their guys. More probably he just made a dumb play.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
He was surprisingly good, had a couple of good scoring opportunities and constantly crashed the net.

Good to hear. I'd like to see more plays with him headed to the net, he's got the speed to drive from the outside, and he'll get to showcase that now :yo:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well that was...different. :laugh: Funny stuff going around at the home game that wasn't.

--2 4th lines, and both played pretty well. Ballard was actually pretty good as a forward; may as well keep him there if AV won't let him be a defenseman.

--And people rag on Luongo for diving and embellishing? Smith went down like he was shot when Edler ran him over (only physical thing Edler's done all season, but anyway...). I was expecting to see Lee Harvey Oswald peeking out from the book depository in the rafters.

--Tanev: teh uber.

--MayRay/Shredder/Honey Badger: man, who'da called that line working? I mean, besides all of us including me several times...

--I think the 4th line A and 4th line B thing worked well in the first because the whole team was actually supporting each other for a change. Players were actually conscious of when they were making suicide passes, who was supposed to be backchecking, watching out for each other, etc. Was nice to see for a change of pace.

--Schneider was great.

--Gordon was not terrible.

--Get well soon, everyone on our two missing forward lines.

--Statkeepers in Phoenix are obviously demonstrating the risks of going outside in the baking Arizona sun without appropriate headwear too many times. Hits 24-4 in the 1st for Phoenix? What-everrrrrrrrrr...

--Sedin line did diddly-squat, but meh. They deserve an evening off now and again.

--Bieksa and Hamhuis still clearly suffering from some bizarre mental derangement that leaves them unable to play hockey well.

--Most noise I've heard from the home crowd all season long. For a little while there, the Rogers Arena crowd put their cellphones away and cheered..oh wait, that's just cheap airfare outweighing the Coyotes' 25 hardcore fans yet again.

A win's a win's a win. Hell, I'll take it.

JA

Is it possible that his nickname on the team is Jake? I wouldn't put it past them, hockey players can be lazy when it comes to names. Jordan is one syllable too many lol.

Looks like they updated it. I find it funny that they still left "(not Jake)" in parentheses.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Followed the game in class (and by followed I meant f5'd NHL.com instead of listening) and despite missing the game I felt pretty good reading Tanev opening the scoring repping my Tanev jersey.

Feels good boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad