Post-Game Talk: GAME #30 - Canucks @ Roadrunners - March 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Ballard with a pretty good performance at left wing. He was one of the team's better forwards in the first two periods; he fought for pucks, complemented Weise's speed well, and could have had a goal if his puck luck were a bit better.

At some point it is not puck luck. He just has no hands whatsoever. I still remember a game vs. Carolina two years ago when he had a open net took forever to shoot it than slid it on the ice into the goalies stick. He will never score on a straight shot. People make fun of Tanev but he has beat two goalies with a wrist shot, no screen.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
At some point it is not puck luck. He just has no hands whatsoever. I still remember a game vs. Carolina two years ago when he had a open net took forever to shoot it than slid it on the ice into the goalies stick. He will never score on a straight shot. People make fun of Tanev but he has beat two goalies with a wrist shot, no screen.

Who makes fun of Tanev? I totally disagree with your assessment, in general Ballard is too afraid to shoot in case he gets benched. We've never really put him into a situation where he's going to have clear wrist shots to be honest.

JA

Not sure about that. From what I've seen, he can shoot. He can the puck on net, especially if he has confidence, as mossey3535 said above. Today, he made a move on the Coyotes' defender and then lifted the puck top corner on his backhand. His hands are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I got home late and only saw that in the highlights. Didn't look like he was trying to hit Smith.

Still an idiotic, thoughtless play by Edler. Really no need to hit him, we're lucky the Yotes didn't have to stones to run Schneids in return. And absolutely no need to get your elbow up.

We were very lucky they took that second penalty afterwards, and that the remainder of the PP was at the start of the 3rd - PP time at the beginning of periods is mostly pretty useless. On top of all that, we were without Edler for 5 minutes in a game that we had Barker in as our 6th. So yeah, overall, not a good decision.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Who makes fun of Tanev? I totally disagree with your assessment, in general Ballard is too afraid to shoot in case he gets benched. We've never really put him into a situation where he's going to have clear wrist shots to be honest.

Tons of people make fun of Tanev's shot (with some reason). Ballard has played with Tanev most of the time in the last two years. I doubt he is given specific instructions of what he cannot do. He has the same rules as the other d men he never gets his shot off. When he does it never gets through. He never was a goal scorer and he has lost offensive confidence.

BC Boy

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Anyone else seeing Tanev's growing potential? I actually think he could easily become a #2 defenseman in 4-5 years. His shot is looking better, he looks much more comfortable with the puck moving forward during transition and we all know how solid he is on our side of the ice. I'm always excited to watch him play.

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver
I feel the same. Love the goal he had at the start of the last season against the Pens.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen line all +2 on the night

1+1 for Schredda, and an assist each for Raymond and Hansen.

me like

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
P.S. Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond is a good line. Who knew? :sarcasm:

I know, right? It's too bad AV didn't try out this combo earlier in this season. There's no way he would have split them up if they were playing at this level. :sarcasm:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Schneider gets his season back on track by finally stringing together a couple of good, focused performances in a row. Schroeder is making a strong case to stay with the big club. Nice goal by Tanev too, nice to see him finally starting to find his shot.

Coyotes weren't that good tonight. Two games ago, half of this forum was pushing the panic button and talking about becoming sellers. What they fail to realize is that everyone in the west except Anaheim and Chicago are having fairly 'meh' seasons. Canucks are still in single digits for regulation losses.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I know, right? It's too bad AV didn't try out this combo earlier in this season. There's no way he would have split them up if they were playing at this level. :sarcasm:

Let's be serious for a second though - three burners with good defensive awareness and skill. Hansen provides the jam. Of course that line is good.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Anyone else seeing Tanev's growing potential? I actually think he could easily become a #2 defenseman in 4-5 years. His shot is looking better, he looks much more comfortable with the puck moving forward during transition and we all know how solid he is on our side of the ice. I'm always excited to watch him play.

I see him as a mainstay top 4 guy for sure, maybe a little early to see top pairing potential

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Schneider gets his season back on track by finally stringing together a couple of good, focused performances in a row. Schroeder is making a strong case to stay with the big club. Nice goal by Tanev too, nice to see him finally starting to find his shot.

Coyotes weren't that good tonight. Two games ago, half of this forum was pushing the panic button and talking about becoming sellers. What they fail to realize is that everyone in the west except Anaheim and Chicago are having fairly 'meh' seasons. Canucks are still in single digits for regulation losses.

Melanson has been worth every penny. Good on Schneider for going back to basics, this is how we know he can play.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Considering we were playing with two 4th lines, I'm very happy with the result.
Schneider has been great for us the past two games. I hope he can keep this up all year long.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Too bad Ballard didn't get a goal but the game was mildly entertaining and I'm happy we got 2

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
1rdvuq.jpg

Really? Really?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Tons of people make fun of Tanev's shot (with some reason). Ballard has played with Tanev most of the time in the last two years. I doubt he is given specific instructions of what he cannot do. He has the same rules as the other d men he never gets his shot off. When he does it never gets through. He never was a goal scorer and he has lost offensive confidence.

So which is it - Tanev has a good shot because he can beat the goalie with a wrister, or his shot is one that is regularly made fun of? Personally I can't recall people making fun of his shot because he didn't shoot in the first place. His shot is decent, and he's a hard worker so I think he's been working on it.

And Ballard's not an idiot, he doesn't need specific instructions to know that he needs to make the safe play at all times. He has shot less and less every year he's been here. In fact, he's shot at roughly half the rate he was before coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad