GDT: Game 30: Avs @ Lightning | 5 PM MT | December 8, 2018 | Expendable Youth

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Cole plays a lot of minutes because he has to, even though he shouldn't. It's more of a fault with the depth than Cole himself.

I really hope the Avs can get their hands on a reliable defenseman that can play 22+ minutes a game while keeping it safe and simple in their own zone first. Johnson's getting older, Barrie doesn't have the smarts, Girard gets manhandled, and Zadorov is too inconsistent. On top of that I not too confident in Makar's ability to shutdown NHL forwards, but that ok because that's not his role. Timmins looked promising but still some major question marks there.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not even mad about last night, that's what happens when you play basically every game on the road and are at the end of another 4 game trip.

We ran up against a good team that was rested, and we looked like a team that was at the end of a 4 game road trip and a team that has played 2/3rds of their games on the road.

Shit happens, bad game by us. We'll recover it's just one game, and eventually we have to play some home games.

The fact is we are one of the best teams in the league record wise despite the awful schedule.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We'd need to give up WAYyyy more for Seguin dude. Not everyone around the league overrates our average players/prospects. Timmins is a complete gamble due to his concussion issues and therefore has little value, and Kerfoot/Jost aren't really living up to expectations. A "2nd + Timmins" for Seguin is a bit of a joke.
I said our 1st / 2nd and Timmins

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You sound like you thought MacK was a bust before last season.
That's weird, because I didn't mention Mack at all. Seguin is 26 and his best season was 5 years ago. Radulov is 32. Mack broke out when he was 21. If MacKinnons "break out" year was 80 points, and then he regressed to a 70 point player for the next 4 seasons, would you pay him 9.7x8? Seguin will only start to decline in the next few years. Bad trade

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's weird, because I didn't mention Mack at all. Seguin is 26 and his best season was 5 years ago. Radulov is 32. Mack broke out when he was 21. If MacKinnons "break out" year was 80 points, and then he regressed to a 70 point player for the next 4 seasons, would you pay him 9.7x8? Seguin will only start to decline in the next few years. Bad trade

My point was more about the silliness of judging players by point totals rather than the specific silliness of your Seguin & Radulov "analysis".

You saying that Seguin's best season was 5 years ago is particularly amusing...as most Stars fans could tell you that his best season was last year; when he became a high-end two-way guy. Although they watched him play instead of having the wisdom to just pull up his point totals.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
My point was more about the silliness of judging players by point totals rather than the specific silliness of your Seguin & Radulov "analysis".

You saying that Seguin's best season was 5 years ago is particularly amusing...as most Stars fans could tell you that his best season was last year; when he became a high-end two-way guy. Although they watched him play instead of having the wisdom to just pull up his point totals.
It's still not a good trade. The Ottawa pick is just too valuable and those players aren't worth what you are offering.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man was this an awful game. Avs didn't show up and then when they finally realized there was a game going on, it didn't seem to make a lick of difference.

Just awful passing all night. MacKinnon especially. Not sure where Rantanen was in this one either.

Nieto and Compher with brutal defensive games. Zadorov with two terrible penalties. Cole and Barrie with a couple gaffe tricks each.

This is the kind of game Varly should be kicking things over in the locker room for how his team keeps playing in front of him, but he's too good a teammate for that.

I just wish Bednar would let this team find their balls every once in a while when the opposition is beating the shit out of them physically. Nemeth pulling Paquette away from Compher was pretty pathetic to watch. Then he lets Joseph attempt to slew foot him and stab Grubauer in the neck with his stick in the process, and has absolutely nothing to say about it afterwards.

Ugh, what a gross game. Better see some sprit from this team against Edmonton. Win or lose I hate it when this team gets pushed out of games physically and mentally.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So did we get confirmation that Rantanen's teammates paid him 47 shots of liquor (one for every point he had accumulated so far this year) the night before the game with the Lightning? Because I'm not sure there's any other way to explain that kind of lousy performance otherwise.

Seems like the whole team was awful except for a few guys. Ian Cole had an especially horrifyingly awful game.

Also real nice to see that Tampa brought their own refs to the game. Great stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad