GDT: Game 30: Avs @ Lightning | 5 PM MT | December 8, 2018 | Expendable Youth

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Well, what an ass-whooping. :help:

The Tampa Bay Lightning defeated a Pee-Wee-Team from Denver.... :nod:

The good thing: Every team has one of those games within a season.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
This is a huge problem with Jost and Kerfoot. Compher has the tenacity to overcome those faults but those two just get shut right down when the physicality is there and it's not a good look.
Kamenev seems to have the same problem. Well, right now the whole team has this problem.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Imo we still aren't a contender for the Stanley Cup. I think as we are right now, we'd struggle against Nashville or Winnipeg in a playoff series. We'd have to dodge them both just to get out of the first round, and then in all likelihood we'd face one of them next anyway and be major underdogs.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well then you don’t know what you are talking about :laugh:
The only time Seguin broke 80 points was 5 years ago. He's signed at 9.7m through 2027. I'm just not a fan, and yah I know how great he would be for us as a 2c.

Radulovs best season is 72 points, and has never broken 60 otherwise.

Kerfoot can hit 55-60, so I don't feel like it's a huge upgrade. Dallas hasn't struggled offensively so that's not the reason for lower point totals.

So giving up a top 10 pick and a later first rounder, plus Kerfoot and Timmins, isn't worth the price to me.

I'd rather roll the dice on a good draft pick and have him on an ELC. There's quite a few great centers in the top 6-7 this year.

It's not much of an upgrade when you break it down. It's an interesting idea though. Seguin 2c would be fantastic. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, and Dach are all center (Kakko is listed as a winger but can play C) and we have a good shot at one of them. They are rated 1-4 right now.

Podkolzin is the only player in the top 8 that isn't a center, and even then, I'd put him on Josts wing.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The only time Seguin broke 80 points was 5 years ago. He's signed at 9.7m through 2027. I'm just not a fan, and yah I know how great he would be for us as a 2c.

Kerfoot can hit 55-60, so I don't feel like it's a huge upgrade. Dallas hasn't struggled offensively so that's not the reason for lower point totals.

So giving up a top 10 pick and a later first rounder, plus Kerfoot and Timmins, isn't worth the price to me.
Seguin and Radulov are massive upgrades over Kerfoot. Make no mistake they would drive the second line by themselves, put up big numbers and not see a second on the 4th line like Kerfoot does. Once the Avs improve the scoring depth Kerfoot is going to slide down the lineup and will score less, if he even is with the team once that happens.

That being said, I wouldn't make the trade because Radulov is 32 and nearing his decline and the Senators 1st is too valuable.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Seguin and Radulov are massive upgrades over Kerfoot. Make no mistake they would drive the second line by themselves, put up big numbers and not see a second on the 4th line like Kerfoot does. Once the Avs improve the scoring depth Kerfoot is going to slide down the lineup and will score less, if he even is with the team once that happens.

That being said, I wouldn't make the trade because Radulov is 32 and nearing his decline and the Senators 1st is too valuable.
Yah I'd honestly consider Timmins to be more valuable than Kerfoot anyways. It's just too steep of a price.

Our first / 2nd and Timmins for Seguin might be interesting. Or Jost / our 1st

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Yah I'd honestly consider Timmins to be more valuable than Kerfoot anyways. It's just too steep of a price.
I dunno about Timmins. Concussions are scary and its possible that it will have a lasting impact on his career. He is a complete wild card at this point.

Reactions: S E P H

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I dunno about Timmins. Concussions are scary and its possible that it will have a lasting impact on his career. He is a complete wild card at this point.
Yah it's not an ideal situation, but I don't see Kerfoot having much of a future with the team. He may sign an extremely team-friendly contract. In that case I'd have him 2/3 winger and hopefully have a more solid second line. I still think Timmins has a lot of potential despite the concussion issues

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Some truly amazing fans in the Ice Palace. Their team's up 7-1 and the place is a library. Embarrassing.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver

Our first / 2nd and Timmins for Seguin might be interesting. Or Jost / our 1st
We'd need to give up WAYyyy more for Seguin dude. Not everyone around the league overrates our average players/prospects. Timmins is a complete gamble due to his concussion issues and therefore has little value, and Kerfoot/Jost aren't really living up to expectations. A "2nd + Timmins" for Seguin is a bit of a joke.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I'd rather roll the dice on a good draft pick and have him on an ELC. There's quite a few great centers in the top 6-7 this year.

It's not much of an upgrade when you break it down. It's an interesting idea though. Seguin 2c would be fantastic. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, and Dach are all center (Kakko is listed as a winger but can play C) and we have a good shot at one of them. They are rated 1-4 right now.

Podkolzin is the only player in the top 8 that isn't a center, and even then, I'd put him on Josts wing.

You sound like you thought MacK was a bust before last season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Maybe the staff will realize playing Cole as a top pairings D isn’t the best idea. He’s been good this year but that eventually will haunt you. He’s been on the ice for 11 of the last 14 goals against and has played a prominant Rolex in a lot of them.

The play last night where he called for the drop pass and then missed it was kind of funny.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya Cole needs his minutes cut back.

Tough loss but I feel like people are reading into it too much. The Avs were clearly not playing good hockey. This was way more about the Avs simply not showing up then it was Tampa being some massively superior team. They're better then us yes but not 7-1 better. Avs just didn't show up to play last night.

Reactions: hooverdam

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
On the bright side we have 52 games remaining, 30 of which are at home

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ya Cole needs his minutes cut back.

Tough loss but I feel like people are reading into it too much. The Avs were clearly not playing good hockey. This was way more about the Avs simply not showing up then it was Tampa being some massively superior team. They're better then us yes but not 7-1 better. Avs just didn't show up to play last night.

On the one hand, we obviously weren’t as sharp as we’ve been in a lot of games while they played almost a perfect game.

...but otoh that kinda touches on the big problem. Because of our current holes (1b C & #1 blueliner) and youth, we aren’t good enough to beat the top teams without bringing our A-game and them bringing a something less. Now there may not be many of those top teams that that’s true for, but that to me is even more reason to want to head into next season with a full arsenal, because we are a lot closer than that score line to the best team in the NHL.

I’m not saying that having a 1b C like Zibby or Schenn would’ve led to a win last night with how off we were and how sharp they were. But a 1b C + Makar ensuring that we have a blueliner that can punish their forecheckers out there at all times + Kaut + any other prospects that can carve out a spot + the rest of this season and next year’s regular season of growth for the kids? At that point we could steal a game like this even with how good they were and how sloppy we were...nevermind how those factors would’ve changed that 0-1 at home.

This team isn’t far from a cup and the piece we need has been moved often enough this decade for us to have a good shot at one for a price that we can comfortably bare given our current stockpile...and pending logjam...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why are people pinpointing Cole last night when Barrie's gaffs lead to two goals single-handily, even if one was ultimately Grubauer's fault? I am not even trying to defend Ian as Mars said, a constant number of goals are starting to come when he's on the ice, but lets not play this one-sided game either...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I refuse to believe that this game ever happened. It was a dream or a mirage or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad