UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Ud68LpX.jpg

*Lineups unconfirmed.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Kerfoot still on the 4th line? What the hell did he do to deserve being put on the 4th line this long? He's made some mistakes, but his offence was pretty decent for a while.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kerfoot still on the 4th line? What the hell did he do to deserve being put on the 4th line this long? He's made some mistakes, but his offence was pretty decent for a while.

Well he has played pretty bad the last few games imo, made a lot of bad turnovers. Hasn’t provided much offense and is never great defensively.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I can't believe the position we are in considering we have played 2/3 of the season on the road, especially how much we struggled on the road last season. I think that really bodes well for the rest of the year and makes the top line's dominance even more impressive - just wait til Bedsy gets to control the matchups more.
If we can dominate at home like we did last year, we'll be competing for a top 3 spot in the central. It's pretty sweet.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well he has played pretty bad the last few games imo, made a lot of bad turnovers. Hasn’t provided much offense and is never great defensively.
Yah he's had a few rough games, but was putting up a lot of points before that. I wonder what he needs to do to get back up to the 2nd line. I doubt the 4th line starts proving much offence.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kerf has looked very passive lately, his demotion doesn't surprise me. Always looking to stop and pass in the offensive zone, never skate or shoot. I don't know how the 4th line is going to get him going again, but I understand the demotion.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yah he's had a few rough games, but was putting up a lot of points before that. I wonder what he needs to do to get back up to the 2nd line. I doubt the 4th line starts proving much offence.

Well if all he’s gonna provide is some bad turnovers and not a lot of offense than there’s no reason to have him on the 2nd line. His demotion was definitely warranted.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I don't see this ending well for us, Kutch is back to his on fire ways and should be good for a few points.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't see this ending well for us, Kutch is back to his on fire ways and should be good for a few points.
He’s looked insane. These are probably my 2 favorite teams to watch the past 4-5 years.

Hard not to be a fan of Tampa. Point has turned out to be a heck of a player too. I expect a good number of goals in this one.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
IMO the best thing about this game is the Avs already hit .500 on the road trip and really shouldn't feel much pressure tonight. Come in and try to play a good game and be happy we're getting Domingue tonight.

I doubt we're getting another 1-0 game.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Know what's really insane? Think this time, 2 years ago.

Most wanted Bednar gone, and Duchene, EJ, Barrie, burn it to the ground, etc. Things looked horrid. Fast forward 2 years? We're tops of the league, not just the division or conference. We have 2 of the best players in the world with a fantastic captain, great D depth with more on the way, a solid head coach and a revamped supporting staff. Hockey seems to be back in Denver, and it's crazy to compare it to just two years ago. In the NHL you really can go from suck to great in a short period of time if you do it right.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’ve lowered my expectations for this game. I might st this one out. I feel like I’m jinxing them anyway.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Know what's really insane? Think this time, 2 years ago.

Most wanted Bednar gone, and Duchene, EJ, Barrie, burn it to the ground, etc. Things looked horrid. Fast forward 2 years? We're tops of the league, not just the division or conference. We have 2 of the best players in the world with a fantastic captain, great D depth with more on the way, a solid head coach and a revamped supporting staff. Hockey seems to be back in Denver, and it's crazy to compare it to just two years ago. In the NHL you really can go from suck to great in a short period of time if you do it right.

Sometimes it almost seems too good to be true and I don't trust that this is truly the reality of the situation. But I think I have a fan's equivalent of PTSD from the 2016-2017 season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nah, this team is legit.

The advanced stats even back up that we're one of the better teams in the league. Still need a little secondary scoring help, but we have one of the better all-around Defenses in the league. We have the best goalie tandem in the league, the best top line in the league, and decent secondary scoring.

Once we get that legit 2nd liner to take some of that pressure off the top line, and hopefully give Carl some softer minutes to utilize his offensive ability, we will be a legit cup contender. Not quite yet, but very soon.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Lol, we do this all the time.

We win a few games and we are a contender. “Just a piece away. Let’s trade a 1st and other young assets.”

We lose a couple of games and we are a year or two away. “Oh well, two lottery picks will be great!”

The truth is we are neither. Somewhere in the middle. A good team, but certainly not better than 2 or 3 of the West teams we are ahead of right now in the standings. Also not a lottery team like lots of people think we are after two losses.

Relax.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
Sportsnet's advanced stats are quite different from commonly available ones where the Avalanche don't fair as well but I found it interesting:

Truth By Numbers: How Colorado’s top line is finding its success

Lo and behold the Avalanche are getting about 56 per cent of the high danger chances, 54 per cent of the scoring chances on net, and 52 per cent of the passes to the slot all at 5-on-5. Suddenly last year’s pretenders with a bright future are right in the middle of it.

I'd guess a 56% high danger chance would make the Avalanche a top 5 team by that measurement. Afaik the data isn't publicly available. Other sites where they track scoring chances purely by distance the Avalanche don't fair as well. And simple shot/shot attempt ratios don't favor the Avalanche either.

There are some major holes (#2C, #1D) but right now the Avalanche are playing well. Maybe not a contender but at least a playoff lock. With some lottery luck the team could be the Cup favorite in two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad