GDT: Game 30: Arizona Sole Survivors @ Philadelphia Lone Wanderers | 12/5/19 17:00 MST | FS-A

What’s your opinion of Gritty

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Disagree. Yes, goal tending has been huge, but you can't discount that overall the team is playing better. We are sometimes out shot by a large margin. For the season it's a 90 shot deficit, which is a statistically insignificant 3 per game.

More importantly, the goals per game are at a 6-year high, and goals allowed at a 6-year low. Overall, the team is playing better and finding ways to win.

I agree with the point overall (and even preseason I was I think one of the only ones to say I was optimistic about the offense :laugh:)

But they are barely holding on the last 3 weeks or so:
upload_2019-12-6_10-40-38.png

Right now we're lucky we're facing some weaker opponents over that stretch, where the schedule was super tough early.
Columbus, Ducks, LA twice. But we've lost to all the good teams before last night: Edmonton, Vegas, San Jose, and while not good on paper Toronto is certainly better than their record.

A lot of people on the mainboard talk about goaltending like it's incidental and not something teams with good goaltending tried to acquire. But we obviously know that's not the case here. Our best player is being our best player :laugh:

fWM1Iis.png

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
But they are barely holding on the last 3 weeks or so:

Could be the November grind was no illusion. Teams (even Cup winners) have highs and lows throughout a season. If we are in a low right now, and still 6-2-2, then I think that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Things that could optimistically change for the better:
Phil returns to being a point per game player
Keller decides his rookie year was no fluke
OEL does whatever Swedes do to get out of a funk.
Hammer returns well rested.

the future is bright (in my World) :thumbu:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Shots is a good indicator (not perfect) of how a team is performing relative to the competition. Lots of reasons why maybe it's flawed, particularly since the team trailing in the 3rd usually amps up the pressure while the leading team takes fewer chances, but nonetheless, it's true that shot differential has gone against us the last 10 games.

upload_2019-12-6_12-35-59.png

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
particularly since the team trailing in the 3rd usually amps up the pressure while the leading team takes fewer chances,

Yes I believe I made a whole post or 3 on that a week or two ago.
But also when combined with the Coyotes tendency to come out hot and taper off as the game goes on I'm not super worried about the shot totals.

My worries are more in the keep it simple stupid area. We're not out-scoring opponents by much ,we're giving up leads we wouldn't have in October, and we're too reliant on elite goaltending. The players who were carrying us have slowed down and new ones have not yet stepped up yet. And they'd better do it quick. Hopefully last night was the firt step in Kessel doing so.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Philly got half a dozen primo grade A+ redirects on Kuemper and he just managed to roll the dice well to get the saves. That won't happen if you let it continue.

They need to figure out how to be competitive for more than 20 minutes a game.

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think most of what Tocc and company are banking on as "adjustments" will be in the form of stop playing badly for the handful of key names that are doing so.

Also similar to the whole keeping lines the same in a win thing, they may also be thinking since we're still winning while playing mediocre at best that system or personnel changes are much required. ( I don't consider adding 1st line talent like Taylor Hall that type of changes, that's more in the if you can add first liners without killing yourself, you do it, category)

Basically just have to hope that happens. In a way it has to happen anyway if we're going to make an actual run besides a quick first round exit. If you think back to our 11-12 squad which was in large degree propped by goaltending, it still had a line that was consistent at driving offense. We don't really have that right now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think most of what Tocc and company are banking on as "adjustments" will be in the form of stop playing badly for the handful of key names that are doing so.

Also similar to the whole keeping lines the same in a win thing, they may also be thinking since we're still winning while playing mediocre at best that system or personnel changes are much required. ( I don't consider adding 1st line talent like Taylor Hall that type of changes, that's more in the if you can add first liners without killing yourself, you do it, category)

Basically just have to hope that happens. In a way it has to happen anyway if we're going to make an actual run besides a quick first round exit. If you think back to our 11-12 squad which was in large degree propped by goaltending, it still had a line that was consistent at driving offense. We don't really have that right now.

A lot of the reason they are playing badly is because they don't have the puck so they are usually defending. They don't have the puck because this team sucks ass 5v5 unless the forecheck is working. In other words, they're usually looking to dump it in and get off the ice by the time they get the puck back.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad